Endura dud or fake?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JudasD

Re: Endura dud or fake?

Post by JudasD »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:my question is this: As far as everyone here knows, has anyone ever directly confronted a knife counterfeiter and what was their response? I would like to see these people confronted and see what their responses are to the fact that they are basically thieves.
Do you mean that direct manufacturers or the folks selling the goods? I have confronted the sellers before. It wasn't for Spyderco, but it was for other various name brands. Their response is usually something along the lines of "I only sell name brand items, see the name is on it right here" as they point to the branding on the product.

It's best to just walk away and know that a fool and his money is soon parted.

JD
V-Edge

Post by V-Edge »

@ SpyderEdgeForever:
Every seller of fakes I've ever confronted has the same story: "that they didn't know they were selling a fake, so don't blame me." :rolleyes:
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Do we want to show counterfeiters what exactly they are doing wrong?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Do we want to show counterfeiters what exactly they are doing wrong?
The answer to this is no, I would say, but we're forced into a catch 22 because we want to educate consumers so they can recognize and report fakes. This OP could have just as easily said nothing, and told all his knife buying friends that spyderco was putting out a crappy product. I see what you're saying though, and it's a tough issue to balance.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

tvenuto wrote:
chuck_roxas45 wrote:Do we want to show counterfeiters what exactly they are doing wrong?
The answer to this is no, I would say, but we're forced into a catch 22 because we want to educate consumers so they can recognize and report fakes. This OP could have just as easily said nothing, and told all his knife buying friends that spyderco was putting out a crappy product. I see what you're saying though, and it's a tough issue to balance.
Good point.
mjbruiser

Post by mjbruiser »

I just picked up an "Endura 4" on eBay that is almost an identical match to the one described here. The seller agreed to refund me in full and to make a complaint to their supplier.
wadecarlson

Post by wadecarlson »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:my question is this: As far as everyone here knows, has anyone ever directly confronted a knife counterfeiter and what was their response? I would like to see these people confronted and see what their responses are to the fact that they are basically thieves.
I know this is old but I continually report sellers of fake Spyderco knives on ebay. I had purchased a fake and ebay return my money and asked that I destroy the fake. I wish I had done testing on the metal to see what they use as it was marked vg10.

Really crappy because some people don't know how to spot a fake and end up selling it as real. The person buying it thinks Spyderco puts out bad quality...
BrandoSpoke

Post by BrandoSpoke »

As fake as fake can get.
"If you talk all the time, you will never hear what anybody else has to say, and therefore, all you'll have to talk about is your own conversation."
-Alan Watts
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Well, it is the Easter season, so I guess resurrection is in the air.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
91bravo

Post by 91bravo »

That does look fake to me. Where the tang of the blade hits the actual lockbar, is too far forward. The font in the letter "E" is wrong on the Seki City side. Also, the width of the lockbar is way thinner than the actual blade thickness, producing a canyon like gap. I'd care to say that this is a fake. Look up the big auction site and you'll see that they are counterfeiting Enduras in all different colors now. Not even close....
awa54

Post by awa54 »

wadecarlson wrote:
I know this is old but I continually report sellers of fake Spyderco knives on ebay. I had purchased a fake and ebay return my money and asked that I destroy the fake. I wish I had done testing on the metal to see what they use as it was marked vg10.

Really crappy because some people don't know how to spot a fake and end up selling it as real. The person buying it thinks Spyderco puts out bad quality...
I'd bet most are 5Cr or 8Cr stainless at mid 50s HRC, since that's what many Chinese knife makers have to work with. Though some actually have half way decent steel and HT, but it's a total crap shoot.

I bought an AFCK-ish folder off Ebay a few years back that *claimed* to be 9Cr18 and that knife takes a genuinely good edge and holds it better than CS or Moki AUS-8, the F&F is decent and the 3D milled matte finish G10 scales are genuinely well done, but the lock interface on the blade tang looks like it was "fitted" by dragging it across a bench grinder with a medium wheel, the blade is ground on the thick side of too-thick and the pocket clip is so short and rigid that it's totally useless. All in all a fairly functional knife with decent blade steel, solid functionality and worth the asking price ($25), but nothing to compare with the genuine article that it was loosely based on, pretty much SanRenmu quality but with better blade HT ...it didn't claim to be a branded knife, so I don't feel too bad about buying it, but I have no interest in getting another ;)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Great detective work, and great pictures showing it. I'm sorry you got a fake, but glad you got a refund. It makes me sick that people do this. I'm sure Sal and Company like it even less.