Amsterdam Meet 2015 report of upcoming Spyderco prototypes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Joshua J.

Re: Amsterdam Meet 2015 report of upcoming Spyderco prototypes

Post by Joshua J. »

Wow.

GB2
Mamba
Myrtle
Lil Temp
Nirvana
Tigh Stick
Sprig
Endeavour

Nearly everything looks fantastic this year, that's gotta be more than a few grand in the end. Cutting the list down is going to be hard (Ok not really the Nirvana is something almost completely new and aesthetically top notch, probably also $400 street but that's ok. Now picking #2 etc. that will be difficult).
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

Some of these designs look like cheap chinese knives I can find at the gas station for $5.99
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

RIOT wrote:Some of these designs look like cheap chinese knives I can find at the gas station for $5.99
Constructive...
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

tvenuto wrote:
RIOT wrote:Some of these designs look like cheap chinese knives I can find at the gas station for $5.99
Constructive...
I guess my opinion isnt welcome unless im drooling over these designs? Sorry next time I will join the band wagon and be super jolly and pretend they dont look like cheap chinese knives at the gas station for $5.99
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

RIOT wrote:I guess my opinion isnt welcome unless im drooling over these designs? Sorry next time I will join the band wagon and be super jolly and pretend they dont look like cheap chinese knives at the gas station for $5.99
Your opinion is quite welcome, there is plenty of criticism to be found in the preceding pages. It just so happens that your criticism is not constructive, and sharing our opinion in a constructive manner is what makes this place helpful, informative, and fun to visit.

For instance, you did not list which knives you were even talking about, and what makes them have this impression on you. Are there particular features you would change, or features you would like to see added or removed?

For reference, here is the definition of constructive.
Last edited by tvenuto on Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

tvenuto wrote:
RIOT wrote:I guess my opinion isnt welcome unless im drooling over these designs? Sorry next time I will join the band wagon and be super jolly and pretend they dont look like cheap chinese knives at the gas station for $5.99
Your opinion is quite welcome, there is plenty of criticism to be found in the preceding pages. It just so happens that your criticism is not constructive, and sharing our opinion in a constructive manner is what makes this place helpful, informative, and fun to visit.

For instance, you did not list which knives you were even talking about, and what makes them have this impression on you. Are their particular features you would change, or features you would like to see added or removed?

For reference, here is the definition of constructive.
Ok I will just pretend and lie to myself, seems easier, thanks for the lesson you have taught me for being a member here on the forums, next time I will only say nice things that are constructive and happy.

Nice pictures as usual Wooter!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It is not always what you say but how you say it.

If you were implying that some of them are a little too Sword and Scorcerer for your tastes then I would have to agree however I would have stated it a little more tactfully.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

bearfacedkiller wrote:It is not always what you say but how you say it.

If you were implying that some of them are a little too Sword and Scorcerer for your tastes then I would have to agree however I would have stated it a little more tactfully.
I agree with the political correctness.

Honestly my neighbor stocks gas stations with knives and lighters that he pays $1-2.00 for and I have to admit some of these designs looks pretty close to the crap he sells. Just my opinion.

I dont want to thread jack this so lets agree to disagree or leave it be. Just stating my thoughts.
bearfacedkiller

This is just the way it is going to be from now on. With Spyderco gaining production capacity they are going to be producing a lot more collaborations. I myself lean towards the in house designs with some exceptions like many of Mr Schempp and Mr Bradley's designs. Not everybody is going to be into these collaborations but some certainly will be. The product line is growing at an amazing rate and there are bound to be more and more knives that don't appeal to many of us. You can't please everybody all the time.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

RIOT wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:It is not always what you say but how you say it.

I agree with the political correctness.

Honestly my neighbor stocks gas stations with knives and lighters that he pays $1-2.00 for and I have to admit some of these designs looks pretty close to the crap he sells. Just my opinion.

I dont want to thread jack this so lets agree to disagree or leave it be. Just stating my thoughts.

It's not about saying all good things or whatever you keep trying to make the argument about. It's about saying ""x" knife is a little too dungeons and dragons to me. I probably won't get it, but I appreciate the diversity and the attempt to please many people's individual tastes." I think had you said that it would be less abrasive. And trust me, I get the same talking to all the time about being too abrasive so it's not like I'm saying I'm better or anything. Just a fellow knife user trying to help.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

RIOT wrote:
tvenuto wrote:
Constructive...
I guess my opinion isnt welcome unless im drooling over these designs? Sorry next time I will join the band wagon and be super jolly and pretend they dont look like cheap chinese knives at the gas station for $5.99

Saying it doesn't meet with your personal taste is one thing, but you're basically saying it looks like a bad product. It's a borderline insult.
I've seen dozens of examples of cheap knives being made to look like the Endura and Delica, does that make the gas-station knives look any less cheap? Does that also mean the Endura and Delica look cheap now?

The design aesthetic is almost irrelevant as long as it's something you find acceptable, saying it looks too common is as good as saying that all the cars from the 80's look terrible because Yugo was also built in that era, and that cars from BMW and Mercedes look worse every time someone makes an economy car that follows "European styling".
Donut

Post by Donut »

Was there an update on the Roc at the meet? It seems a little odd that we saw a prototype last year and don't see anything this year.

It's possible that the timing of receiving a Prototype landed at a bad time.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Donut wrote:Was there an update on the Roc at the meet? It seems a little odd that we saw a prototype last year and don't see anything this year.

It's possible that the timing of receiving a Prototype landed at a bad time.
No real update other than that they were working on improving quality/consistency. I'm not sure how much to read into not seeing it again, since we saw the Firefly again and that one seemed to be dealing with the same issue.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Yeah, the last I heard was just that they weren't happy with the latest prototype.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

I thought the same just about one design the first time I saw it time ago... :o

In the other hand there are very interesting knives, I just wish I had seen:

- An uncoated Mamba (or coated the other way).

- An ION with no "trademark hole".

- A Nirvana with a more slicer grind.

- A Myrtle with less screws in the handle (just three looks great behind two fingers).
bearfacedkiller

The way I see it is, if the Szabo sold then these will sell. The Szabo was too much for me too. Some people do not like superfluous grinds and some do. I do not. Again, different strokes for different folks. I love me a full flat grind with a distal taper and no swedge, nice and clean.
-Darby
markus

Post by markus »

Hi all. New here and considering my first Spydie purchase. I am a fan of Fallkniven, however I think many knifes appeal to us, and for different reasons too. Spyderco appealed to me for they seem like they are easy to use, quality knifes. During my research I nutted it down to the following models: Sage 1, Para 2, Caly 3 and Dragonfly G10 with stainless liners. I made the following novice observations (please not criticisms) I thought manufacturers may take into account. Very disappointed that the beautifully 'made in Japan' Caly 3 is pinned together for service/cleaning reasons, and seems like the only Spyderco in stock with non-laminate true carbon fibre material handles. Disappointed the perfect EDC (See Blade Headquarters) Sage 1 is made in Taiwan and uses a ball bearing lock (dirt can and will get in), but it is at least screwed together. Not sure if the Dragonfly will be too small and I know its not super-strong, but I seem to have always loved it, including the Salt version.

The Para 2 seems like it may become my first Spyderco knife... (I prefer a strong EDC/ Utility blade length of 2.5-2.75", with 3" being the max. - as per Spyderco 'Nuff series' philosophy on blade size). The strong compression lock with stop pin and the 'keyed in' liner lock; ease of deployment; the way the stainless liners are 'set' into the G10 scales; its relative light weight; the fact it is made in Golden, USA; its simplicity in construction and ability to be disassembled and cleaned; and cult popularity were holy grail qualities to me! The only problems I have with the Para 2 is... 1.) I wish it was slightly smaller for EDC (although it is welcomed Spyderco introduced the Para 2 as a smaller option to the bigger military version); and 2.) I wish it was offered with pure carbon fibre scales. I wish Spyderco would offer these characteristics and qualities on other models. For example the lower cost Delica 4 and Sage 1 have perfect dimensions, in my opinion, I just wish they were offered with the same materials and build characteristics/ qualities of the Para 2, as OP suggested here.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Hi Markus welcome to the forum.

First of all. i think you have the manix2 in mind in place of the sage 1.
The sage 1 is a walker linerlock the manix 2 is cbbl :) I do not know youre needs in a knife but a dragonfly is in my case a little small to be a primary edc.
But perfect for backup carry.

The para2 well i can tell you is for me one of the perfect folding knives for everyday carry out there,
I can only tell you that you would be very happy with that one.

Now when it comes to changing the design the word on the street is spyderco is also going to make a smaller pm2 in the future.
When it comes to the delica it is made to be the way it is because its the entry level spyderco if you change that prices will go up and sales go down. So i do not think Sal will change it anytime soon. Or you can buy a Titanium damascus delica if you want higher end materials. :)

Hope you find what youre looking for.
Dimi
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

One may judge by the eye- or by the hand- but one is more valid than the other, as Machivelli used to say....Having been at the Meet, and handled all of the above knives (and many more besides), they are not built like cheap chinese knives, nor will the cut or last like them.

Did the aesthetics of all the knives on show 'light my fire'?- Nope.....but then again, the reason why any manufacturer makes a range of products is to appeal to a variety of customers- I have a specific set of needs, wants, prejudices, ideas and urges.....

Newsflash: You aren't supposed to like every single knife that Spyderco make....No more than you will like every single song of a band, or every single car of a particular maker.....
Some will be for you, others won't be.
Does that mean the ones you don't like the look of are somehow 'bad'?....

Put it this way: I like Pepperoni Pizza. You like Hawaiian Pizza. We get them from the same pizza takeout, on the same day and they are of the same quality.....is your pizza better than mine? :)
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Heres hoping for a new design called the Semantix.