Amsterdam Meet 2015 report of upcoming Spyderco prototypes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Donut

Re: Amsterdam Meet 2015 report of upcoming Spyderco prototypes

Post by Donut »

I think the new rule should be:

If you have negative comments about any of the prototypes in this thread, please create a new thread so everyone can ignore it. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Of course Taichung is perfectly capable of making a liner flush with the scale (and 3D machining). It was also my interpretation that Mr. Bradley chose to use proud liners to achieve the benefits of a more contoured handle without adding the cost of 3D machining. Ease of manufacture was an added bonus, not an excuse for allowing sloppy technique.

But we all have our preferences, and there are things we each might like to change about a design. We are fortunate to have the variety that Spyderco produces. Something I don't like might suit another perfectly and vice versa. What a wonderful thing.

Looking forward to more pics!
:bug-red-white
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Thanks MacLaren, the #2 IS about the same length as the #1 overall.
Also, I like a more even blade to handle ratio and the #2 has that.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

gull wing wrote:Thanks MacLaren, the #2 IS about the same length as the #1 overall.
Also, I like a more even blade to handle ratio and the #2 has that.
Your welcome :)
And, I agree. Can't wait to get the GB2. It'll go very nicely by my GB1 ;) :spyder:
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I like the proud liners on the GB1 because they don't seem to negatively effect comfort even under hard pressure cutting and they look cool or are at least different from most others knives. So I'm not sorry to see that feature on the new GB2. The GB1 is one of my favorite knives and I will surely be buying the GB2.
I just noticed that the GB2 blade appears to be straight to the handle while the GB1 blade is at a slight positive angle as are many other Spyderco knives. Anybody else see this?
Are the liners on the GB2 steel or titanium?
78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

Thanks for the pictures Wouter.

To anyone who handled the GB2 could you tell me if there is still negative blade angle like the 1? From the pictures it looks pretty straight out, hoping there is some negative angle to it.

Edit: ABX beat me to the question.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

78lilred wrote:Thanks for the pictures Wouter.

To anyone who handled the GB2 could you tell me if there is still negative blade angle like the 1? From the pictures it looks pretty straight out, hoping there is some negative angle to it.
It is still there, although it does seem less pronounced. I feel like the blade is just a touch straighter through the heel potion, which gives the appearance of less negative angle, but that could just be my eye.

Steel liners.
78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I'm not too worried about the liners being proud on the GB2. (My Air has the same features and it's never bothered me). However, I am a bit curious how it feels to open the blade in light of the hole falling on top of the "ridge" vs. "valley" of the finger groove.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

tvenuto wrote:
ManixFan wrote:But now you are also doing it again with the mind reading and telling someone else what they are thinking or what they would do. That really is something you need to work on. But trust me, I take would definitely be taking the exact same tone if I were speaking to you in person but perhaps the reverse might be true and you might not be taking your tone if you were to meet me in person - has that thought ever crossed your mind. Oh wait a minute, let me read it - nope.

I have never implied physical consequences in any of my disagreements or debates on the Spyderco Forum, however much I didn't like someone's attitude or response......because that wouldn't be right. Trying to tell someone what tone they would take with someone else in person over the internet, what they must have really meant by their statement or what someone else was thinking is one of the most condescending and arrogant things you can do.....perhaps that is why you didn't like the tone of my response - too bad.

I've got to run off now and work. But I will tell you that you are out of line with that last comment and that you need to stand down......and I wouldn't hesitate to tell that to your face. Now you can childishly escalate things......where I will not be responding. Or, you can delete your last post and I'll do the same thing when I check back in around lunchtime or if I don't have time then when I get home tonight after work.
I wasn't implying any physical consequences. Allow me to rephrase: "I'd venture to say you wouldn't take that tone with me if we were face to face and Sal was standing next to us." Because that's what's going on here: we're in Sal's house. I try to speak with people over the internet as though I were face to face with them. I'm sorry if you feel I was out of line in my comments, but I find them to be accurate, and I don't believe they were rude. I'm sorry for those around you if you talk to them this way in real life, but I suspect you don't actually.

To get back to the knife: no one who handles this knife could possibly utter the word "sloppy." It exudes the typical Taichung quality.
You really aren't getting it are you? THere was nothing wrong with my tone in the first place and I would have no problem providing the same feedback if I was standing in front of Sal and Gayle himself.....because from everything I've seen Sal appreciates feedback and that is exactly what that is regardless of how you choose to view it in your world.

However, you have failed to address your own condescending tone of tellng me what I "really meant" and then pointing to a video that just reinforces the accuracy of what I've stated and which you've disagreed with.......or tried to re-interpret to your liking. Then you proceed with a personal attack by saying you feel sorry for those around me. Wow, just incredible! Ever hear of the term "pot-kettle".....it certainly applies here.

I think that this "feature" is not a positive thing and I am not saying anything about the fit and finsh of the rest of the knife. The ones that I've handled have been impeccable........but when the designer comes out and states that this feature has removed a production step and then another tells me that I must be mistaken in what I heard......well that in my opinion is a wholly inappropriate tone to take. I suggest we move on with the thread and you grow a little thicker skin. This thread is all about feedback......both positive and negative. I give a great amount of positive feedback too but I am also blatantly honest with my feedback as well and I don't tolerate passive aggressive attacks by others who choose to use an inappropriate tone in their own postings to me just because they disagree with my feedback.
Last edited by ManixFan on Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Donut wrote:I think the new rule should be:

If you have negative comments about any of the prototypes in this thread, please create a new thread so everyone can ignore it. :)
Sorry if you've mistaken honest feedback for negative comments. :eek: :rolleyes:
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Appears to still be perfect amount of Spydie hole accessible when closed for an easy middle finger or thumbnail flick.
Going back to Caly.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

tvenuto wrote:It is still there, although it does seem less pronounced. I feel like the blade is just a touch straighter through the heel potion, which gives the appearance of less negative angle, but that could just be my eye.
Yes I think you're right. Thanks.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Donut wrote:There are a lot of people who post nit picks about macro photos. The Gayle Bradley 1 is much more comfortable than it looks.

I don't usually spend my time complaining about something that functions very well.
Comfort in use and ergos are some of the reasons why at one point, I owned three Gayle Bradleys :eek: Yeah I went crazy.

Opening and closing isn't perfect for me but I understand Gayle's reasoning and the good far outweighs the "not perfect". Sort of like how M4 is higher maintenance than a stainless but I cant get enough of it :)
Donut

Post by Donut »

ManixFan wrote: Sorry if you've mistaken honest feedback for negative comments. :eek: :rolleyes:
I mean, do so at your own risk. I skip over anything in this thread that is longer than a paragraph... unless it draws someone else's attention. Out of your long post, I only read the sentence that tvenuto referenced, and only because he thought it was important.

If this were a thread that had "input about the Gayle Bradley" in the topic, I might read a longer post.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

What's this thread about? I read the last page and I am lost.

If it matters and if anyone reads this, I'm totally in for the GB2
Last edited by jtoler_9 on Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swigert

Post by swigert »

jtoler_9 wrote:What's this thread about? I read the last page and I am lost.

To be honest the conversation in this thread is greatly detracting from what it is supposed to be all about...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like the proud liners and think that they look great and don't effect comfort at all. I also do not believe that everything that reduces cost reduces value or come at a price. Sometimes it can be quite the opposite even.

Between the ARK and the GB2 we have done an excellent job of cluttering up a thread that everyone was so excited to see. Let's argue less and oogle more. If you have any strong opinions or want to discuss a model at length than start a new thread and keep this one more focused and concise. If you have the tendency to write page long rants then starting a new thread would really help keeping this one on track.

Concise-
giving a lot of information clearly and in a few words; brief but comprehensive.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

GB2 has my interest thus far.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
swigert

Post by swigert »

I don't think anyone has mentioned it but the rough looking black clip on the GB2 looks very nice...