Where the Hole?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Donut

Re: Where the Hole?

Post by Donut »

Would putting a circle engraving on the side count? The trademark is for a circular shaped opener, isn't it?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
notos&w

Post by notos&w »

sal wrote:Hi notoS&W,

Did you get her the serrated version or the plain edge version?

sal
Serrated.
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

bh49 wrote:
The Deacon wrote: I was very, very, pleased that the new Kitchen Sharps knives don't have holes in the blades.
+1
I am enjoying my new Santoku.
I am still enjoying my old "classic" santoku :)

one thing about the hole - if its the right size, and in the right place, it can be used for better grip when "pinching" the blade for slicing.

I have always pinched bigger blades, my pinky and ring fingers go around the handle, the thumb, index and middle fingers hold onto the back of the blade.
I feel it allows finer control of the edge, but maybe its just me (weird lefty with no culinary experience, other than slicing stuff up before my wife turns it into dinner**)

**we have a deal, i cut, she cooks - that way her fingers stay intact, and dinner tastes good (not burnt, or raw, or a combination of both, which seems to happen when i cook)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Echo63 wrote:
bh49 wrote:
The Deacon wrote: I was very, very, pleased that the new Kitchen Sharps knives don't have holes in the blades.
+1
I am enjoying my new Santoku.
I am still enjoying my old "classic" santoku :)

one thing about the hole - if its the right size, and in the right place, it can be used for better grip when "pinching" the blade for slicing.
I bet, you do. And I still remember magnificent picture of your Santoku. I still have it on my home computer.
I still have reservations about a hole on the kitchen blades. If you use the only to chop vegetables, it is not a huge problem. But if you cut meat, fish or poultry, I would be nervous about these juices getting inside the hole and if washing if sufficient or not.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I now have the Santoku, 6 inch plain, and 4 inch serrated and that's all me and the wife's been using in the kitchen since. Been using the 4 inch as a steak knife also hehe.

Hole no hole is fine for me either way but I do understand the concerns,