Where the Hole?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
Librarian
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:17 am
Location: Ship, Ocean, Earth

Where the Hole?

Postby Librarian » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:07 am

K08BK_L.jpg
K05RD_L.jpg
K04BL_L.jpg

303_enfield
Member
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:24 pm

Re: Where the Hole?

Postby 303_enfield » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:27 am

It's in your hand if your not careful. As SWMBO says, "That blade is scary sharp". Then she took her fingertip off. What a fun night :)
Always looking for the right one :)

User avatar
SpyderEdgeForever
Member
Posts: 6301
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:53 pm
Location: USA

Re: Where the Hole?

Postby SpyderEdgeForever » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:07 am

Those Spyderco kitchen knives are so nice.

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 14025
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: Where the Hole?

Postby sal » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:32 am

Hi Librarian,

We re-energised a relationship with a maker that we used to work with years ago. MBS-26 is an exclusive steel to them. We began with the original tooling and molds to re-create the original models, but have plans to refine the designs. We already have the new designs and they do include a hole. The new refinements, we believe will be nice, and we'll be making the changes slolyover the next couple of years. Adding a hole to a kitchen knife is a very challenging project with regards to food. The geometyry will be imoortant.

sal

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 14025
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: Where the Hole?

Postby sal » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:34 am

303_enfield wrote:It's in your hand if your not careful. As SWMBO says, "That blade is scary sharp". Then she took her fingertip off. What a fun night :)
Hi Enfield,

Please extend my apologies to your SWMBO. :o

sal

User avatar
bh49
Member
Posts: 11464
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:37 pm
Location: former Constitution state

Re: Where the Hole?

Postby bh49 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:53 pm

Why would you need a hole on the kitchen blade. It only will make difficult to clean the knife.

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 14025
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: Where the Hole?

Postby sal » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:14 pm

We need the hole in a certain location for a trademark. Some companies add a hole to hang the kitchen knives on hooks.

sal

User avatar
The Deacon
Member
Posts: 25432
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Upstate SC, USA
Contact:

Re: Where the Hole?

Postby The Deacon » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:48 am

bh49 wrote:Why would you need a hole on the kitchen blade. It only will make difficult to clean the knife.
A hole would definitely add a place for gunk to collect. I was very, very, pleased that the new Kitchen Sharps knives don't have holes in the blades.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

User avatar
bh49
Member
Posts: 11464
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:37 pm
Location: former Constitution state

Re: Where the Hole?

Postby bh49 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:26 am

sal wrote:We need the hole in a certain location for a trademark. Some companies add a hole to hang the kitchen knives on hooks.
sal
Sal,
I understand trademark issue, but I am very glad that none of my 7 Spydeco Kitchen knives do not have them. In my honest opinion, if kitchen knives will have small hole like all fixed blades, it will be difficult to clean them completely, unless use a special tool, which will go into hole. A large hole would solve this issue, but probably will not look right.
Roman

User avatar
bh49
Member
Posts: 11464
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:37 pm
Location: former Constitution state

Re: Where the Hole?

Postby bh49 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:27 am

The Deacon wrote: I was very, very, pleased that the new Kitchen Sharps knives don't have holes in the blades.
+1
I am enjoying my new Santoku.

User avatar
SpyderEdgeForever
Member
Posts: 6301
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:53 pm
Location: USA

Re: Where the Hole?

Postby SpyderEdgeForever » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:05 am

Is the Santoku one heavy-enough to use for heavy-duty chopping of meats with bones such as beef and pork ribs, or probably better to use it for lighter-weight food cutting?

User avatar
The Deacon
Member
Posts: 25432
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Upstate SC, USA
Contact:

Re: Where the Hole?

Postby The Deacon » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:45 am

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Is the Santoku one heavy-enough to use for heavy-duty chopping of meats with bones such as beef and pork ribs, or probably better to use it for lighter-weight food cutting?
It's a Santoku which, to me, means it has more in common with a Chinese cleaver than with a meat cleaver. Blade thickness is just over 2mm. I would not use mine for chopping meat with bones, and would advise against such use.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

User avatar
Peter1960
Member
Posts: 3532
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:54 pm
Location: Austria, Europe

Re: Where the Hole?

Postby Peter1960 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:30 pm

The announcement that future kitchen knives will have trademark holes makes me to place my order now. I respect and share Spyderco's business decisions in many aspects, but a hole (only for trademark) in a kitchen knife is even more no-go as the same hole in other fixed blades. It has no function and is no help in use. Other people may and will think opposite and they have every right to do so :)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto

FDE
Member
Posts: 216
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:39 pm

Re: Where the Hole?

Postby FDE » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:05 pm

Peter1960 wrote:The announcement that future kitchen knives will have trademark holes makes me to place my order now. I respect and share Spyderco's business decisions in many aspects, but a hole (only for trademark) in a kitchen knife is even more no-go as the same hole in other fixed blades. It has no function and is no help in use. Other people may and will think opposite and they have every right to do so :)
+1

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 14025
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: Where the Hole?

Postby sal » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:51 pm

bh49 wrote:
sal wrote:We need the hole in a certain location for a trademark. Some companies add a hole to hang the kitchen knives on hooks.
sal
Sal,
I understand trademark issue, but I am very glad that none of my 7 Spydeco Kitchen knives do not have them. In my honest opinion, if kitchen knives will have small hole like all fixed blades, it will be difficult to clean them completely, unless use a special tool, which will go into hole. A large hole would solve this issue, but probably will not look right.
Roman
It is a challenging dilemma for sure. We're currently working on the optimal size hole and optimal hole/wall geometry to make cleaning easy. If we can do it right, then we might even win some like you and Peter. :)

sal

User avatar
Tdhurl1103
Member
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:08 pm

Re: Where the Hole?

Postby Tdhurl1103 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:08 pm

Put the hole in the tang. Problem solved, everyone happy. ;)
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

Para 3, Gayle Bradley 1, Double Bevel, Paramilitary 2, Paramilitary 2 S110V, Sage 1, Persistence

303_enfield
Member
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:24 pm

Re: Where the Hole?

Postby 303_enfield » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:20 pm

Hole or no hole is fine. Every kitchen should have a brush that will clean it. Now, about the handle, can it be made beefier? Guess the old Dexters ruined me.
Last edited by 303_enfield on Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always looking for the right one :)

notos&w
Member
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:49 pm

Re: Where the Hole?

Postby notos&w » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:53 pm

I purchased my wife the 6" kitchen model about a week ago. My wife LOVES it. She wants to throw away all her others to replace them with Spydercos. She's a convert.

User avatar
Peter1960
Member
Posts: 3532
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:54 pm
Location: Austria, Europe

Re: Where the Hole?

Postby Peter1960 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:07 pm

sal wrote:If we can do it right, then we might even win some like you and Peter. :)
And you are the winner, no matter what happens ... Spyderco kitchen knives will fly in my kitchen in any case :D
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 14025
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: Where the Hole?

Postby sal » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:10 pm

Hi notoS&W,

Did you get her the serrated version or the plain edge version?

sal


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bristlecone pine, Cambertree, eonbluemantra, erikols, Larrin, Majestic-12 [Bot], Matus, nerdlock, Oogie, Polecat, RamZar, sabb8pro2, skeeg11, Spyderman91, Takuan, The Mastiff, tyd450 and 46 guests