New ultimate mule steel - Vancron 40

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: New ultimate mule steel - Vancron 40

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

supracor wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:44 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:15 pm

"All stainless steel is essentially 440 stainless steel of some variation, just with other strategic elements added to it. Whether it is 154 CM, VG10, or even BG42, there are only two kinds of steel, ultimately, carbon steel, and 440 stainless steel."
All the cold work high Chromium/Vanadium stainless steels are modified versions of the 420/440 series; in fact XHP is a new name for the 440XH, S90V is the new name of 420V and S60V of 440V and so on. All are modified versions of iron, like Cliff said some times ago.

Not all the engineers that create Superhigh Chromium steels want high corrosion resistance; all the D-steels, ZDP-189, Fe64K and an enormous number of other alloys contain high amounts of Chromium for wear resistance and not for corrosion resistance.
Stainless steel means nothing else than a steel with a minimum of 13% Cr in it; with high temper and/or other HTs you can throw all the Chromium in carbides.

All alloyed steels are "carbon steels" with "just other strategic elements added to it".
In fact no one can find a transition between steel and bonded carbides.
This may sound odd but your post in response to what that person told me is one of THE GREATEST KNIFE related things I have EVER read. THANK YOU!
supracor

Re: New ultimate mule steel - Vancron 40

Post by supracor »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:34 am
This may sound odd but your post in response to what that person told me is one of THE GREATEST KNIFE related things I have EVER read. THANK YOU!

Happy to be helpful :)