Stonewash/Blackwash

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
CyberKlown28

Stonewash/Blackwash

Post by CyberKlown28 »

Why doesn't Spyderco offer any blades with these? (Granted, I could easily miss if some are stonewash, but I didn't see any in the catalog).

Just curious. :rolleyes:
Jazz

Re: Stonewash/Blackwash

Post by Jazz »

Yes, that blackwash would look good on a few models. I'm going to try it myself if I ever find some acid.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I believe many are advertised as being stone washed, they just don't darken the blades beforehand so it's very subtle. The Southard for example is stone washed. As for black wash, if there were more DLC options I'd have tried that myself by now. Maybe if Sal opens his heart and gives me a Manix 2 LW S110V in DLC...
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

The Techno, Southard, and Slysz Bowie are all stonewashed. Can't think of any others off the top of my head, but there may well be.
Last edited by Able Dog on Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
swigert

Post by swigert »

Able Dog wrote:The Techno, Southard, and Slysz Bowie are all stonewashed. Can't think of any others off the top of my head, but there may well be.

And if you could blackwash, which way would you prefer tumbled DLC finish or acid etch then tumble?
Those were the three I thought of but I also have some other knives that look much more stone washed. I have a Bradford Guardian 3 on me today and it looks much moire roughed up and stone washed than any of the above Spades do...
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Has anyone stone washed a DLC coated or similar coating blade??? John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

My original hollow ground 154cm manix 2 (roughly 2009) has a stonewash look to it. Much more than my orange ffg and newer combo edge (summer 2014) ffg manix 2, a bit hard to tell here, but it is I promise lol. And yes I'd be all for a few blackwashed spydercos!

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

spyderHS08 wrote:My original hollow ground 154cm manix 2 (roughly 2009) has a stonewash look to it. Much more than my orange ffg and newer combo edge (summer 2014) ffg manix 2, a bit hard to tell here, but it is I promise lol.
I concur- I've got a similar vintage Manix 2 with the hollow grind and 154CM and it too has an almost 'frosted' look to it.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

The current g10 Native 5 is stonewashed. Was a nice surprise when I got mine last week :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
CyberKlown28

Post by CyberKlown28 »

Johnnie1801 wrote:The current g10 Native 5 is stonewashed. Was a nice surprise when I got mine last week :)
Is it less of a fingerprint magnet compared to the satin, etc. blades? :)
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Here's a pic next to my pm2, it's more of a mat finish.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

It took a while before the powers that be went to stonewash, so it would follow that blackwash would be the same.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
CyberKlown28

Post by CyberKlown28 »

Blackwash Tanto Spydie <3
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

n1.jpg
n2.jpg
nv1.jpg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

That's a great looking Native.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Liquid Cobra wrote:That's a great looking Native.

Thanks, it came with the blade unevenly ground. I evened it out but still didn't look quite right so I figured what the ****, see what else I can do to it. Also the cf was so sharp it could cut you so I cleaned up the edges too. I had to etch all the parts a different number of times to get them pretty even in colour. The 110 was a ***** to stonewash, I had to switch to metal from stones just to mark it up! I'll likely do it one more time, more aggressively when I have time.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Haven't seen the kahr delica mentioned yet, I wouldn't mind having one someday.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
araneae

Post by araneae »

Jazz wrote:Yes, that blackwash would look good on a few models. I'm going to try it myself if I ever find some acid.
You could try ferric chloride sold at Radio Shack. I have done several pocket clips with it and a few carbon steel blades. I would imagine it would do the ss blades but take longer.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

araneae wrote:
Jazz wrote:Yes, that blackwash would look good on a few models. I'm going to try it myself if I ever find some acid.
You could try ferric chloride sold at Radio Shack. I have done several pocket clips with it and a few carbon steel blades. I would imagine it would do the ss blades but take longer.
RadioShack is no more, my friend. If you want to stock up on some acid they sell, you'd better do it quick.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

i paid like $5 for a bottle of radioshack etchant haven't used it yet though but i've heard it works I had plans to do some D2 this way but i traded the knife. Some Companies have poor heat treats on their 2 handled knives.