Urban Lightweight now available!?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PWork

Re: Urban Lightweight now available!?

Post by PWork »

demoncase wrote:Can I be cheeky and ask someone to put this next to a Squeak please?

I'm wondering the same thing...
Paul
brick

Post by brick »

buckthorn wrote:brick- just noticed in your post that you live in Upstate New York and therefore (if I understand what you're saying) feel it necessary to carry a slipjoint. I live in Central New York and, although I like the slipjoints, have no hesitance at all to carry a lockback when I want to. Please tell me what is restricting you from carrying a lockback. I may very well have missed something. Thanks.
It's just the fact that state law can be interpreted by law enforcement anywhere in NY as prohibiting any locking knife that can be opened with flick or drop (which is nearly anything). Case law is there to back it up. There's nothing stopping an agency outside of NYC from pulling the same "gravity knife" garbage except their own lack of desire to do so. My personal level of risk tolerance isn't high enough to leave it to someone else's judgment. That said, I know other people in my area with precisely the opposite view point (and others who don't even realize there's a risk).

-Tim
-Tim
buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

Thanks Tim. I'll give your explanation some thought. Perhaps because I'm seventy-three years old and don't appear threatening to anybody I'm given some leeway (or, maybe I'm lucky). On a trip to the UK last summer I carried a (UK legal) pocket knife everywhere and never gave it a second thought. I do believe that your concern about interpretation by an individual officer is a legitimate consideration. I'm also glad Spyderco has been increasing the line of slipjoints so we can still have Spyderco quality if we choose not to carry a locking blade knife.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

PWork wrote:
demoncase wrote:Can I be cheeky and ask someone to put this next to a Squeak please?

I'm wondering the same thing...
Found this photo on Brittish blade forums.

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
PWork

Post by PWork »

Thank you. That puts things in better perspective.
Paul
CyberKlown28

Post by CyberKlown28 »

Can we get a slipjoint with 4 way clip? :p
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Cracking stuff, liquid Conrad. Thanks
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

demoncase wrote: liquid Conrad
:D
- best wishes, Jazz.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Jazz wrote:
demoncase wrote: liquid Conrad
:D
grumblegrumbleBloodyAutoCorrectgrumblegrumble :D
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

Urban owners, how is your knife's blade centering in the closed position? I just got one today and mine is quite noticeably off towards the show side of the knife. Not a big deal if they are all like that - I notice that my Spy-DK has the same issue, just not as much. Thanks.
brick

Post by brick »

glbpro wrote:Urban owners, how is your knife's blade centering in the closed position? I just got one today and mine is quite noticeably off towards the show side of the knife. Not a big deal if they are all like that - I notice that my Spy-DK has the same issue, just not as much. Thanks.
I don't think I own a knife with a 100% perfectly centered blade, including the ULW. Personally I think the importance of blade centering is way overblown. I can see a fraction of a millimeter which is hardly a sign of poor quality.
-Tim
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx much for the pics, Cobra.

The Urban was designed to begin to fill the gap between the UKPK (3" blade) and the Squeak (2" blade). The Urban is the 2.5" member of this Slipit family. I also designed the spyDK to be able to take a 2.75" blade in the same style of the other models. This permits two variations in blade from the same handle tooling. 2", 2.5", 2.75" and 3" blade choices with the same handle "cockpit" enables convenient switching of models with little change in muscle memory, depending on the requirements of the day..

Slip joints are growing in popularity for a number of reasons; knife laws worldwide are trending to PC smaller slip joints, The one hand open Slipits are very easy and convenient to use and they are NKP friendly. Made with good materials and high performance steels makes them more desirable.

I also expect they will get better and better with CQI and we'll be able to offer colors, handle materials and steel variations

sal
sal

Post by sal »

CyberKlown28 wrote:Can we get a slipjoint with 4 way clip? :p
Hi Klown,

That would be very difficult with a wire clip.

sal