Is WD-40 bad for phosphor bronze bushings?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Croix

Is WD-40 bad for phosphor bronze bushings?

Post by Croix »

I have been using WD-40 on my PM2, will WD-40 damage the bushings over long periods of time?
Ankerson

Re: Is WD-40 bad for phosphor bronze bushings?

Post by Ankerson »

No, WD-40 won't hurt them.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I find it can get sticky when it dries up. It will not damage it but there are far better lubricants. I use basic food grade mineral oil and have been happy but I prefer to keep my blades food safe.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Newsflash folks, WD-40 is NOT a lubricant. The "WD" in the name stands for "water displacement". It's closer to a degreaser than a lube. It's not a bad option for cleaning out a pivot but I highly suggest a proper lube afterwards. In the bicycle world we use that stuff to slide on handlebar grips and once it dries your grips are practically glued in place.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

It is a lubricant. There are certainly many better options but it is definitely a lubricant.

And no, it won't have any ill effect on your washers but as Dave and others pointed out it can dry out too quickly and attract debris. I still use it but only because I have forever. Plus I like the smell and it always reminds me of guns and fishing. :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Taken directly from the WD-40 site
While the “W-D” in WD-40® stands for Water Displacement, WD-40® Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.
So yeah, if they wanna call it a lube, then I guess it is. At best, I'm only going to refer to it as a very very very poor lube ;)
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Surfingringo wrote:It is a lubricant. There are certainly many better options but it is definitely a lubricant.

And no, it won't have any ill effect on your washers but as Dave and others pointed out it can dry out too quickly and attract debris. I still use it but only because I have forever. Plus I like the smell and it always reminds me of guns and fishing. :)

Same here. :)

I find the best way to use is to spray it on to clean etc then on folders blow out the excess with air and wipe it down.

If the knife is really dirty, spray and let it sit awhile, brush it down and spray out the excess then wipe.
Last edited by Ankerson on Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hehehe...good enough evilD. :p
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It seems more like a solvent than a lube in actual use most of the time. I have a tiny can in my truck that I do hit a squeaky door hinge with once in a while and it works but not for very long. I really should just put some grease on it.

Food grade mineral is sold at the drug store as an "intestinal lubricant" :eek: in the laxative section. You can buy a quart for a couple of dollars and have a supply that will last for years. I use the same oil to treat my cutting board. I have a small syringe for orally administering meds to kids and pets that works well for applying the oil. That is my super cheap, super easy and food safe suggestion.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

As far as lubes go, I still swear by FP-10 for my guns and knives. Hasn't let me down for over 20 years.
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

Well, technically anything can be called a "lubricant". I don't know about anyone else here, but I've slipped on wet floors, because water is a lubricant. I wouldn't want to use it on my knives, though.

I'd never use WD-40 to lubricate anything. It works poorly as a lube and smells even worse. (Just thinking of the WD-40 stench gives me a headache.) I only use it for what the "WD" stands for.

I normally use mineral oil, for the same reason bearfacedkiller does. I don't use my knives on food, but I hate the idea of nasty chemicals being on my skin and whatever else I happen to touch. Lately I've been toying with moly, though, because it seems to be minimally toxic. The two aren't mutually exclusive, though. There's no reason you can't add molybdenum disulfide to mineral oil, although if you want a dry lube, you may as well stick with a dry lube.
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Agree with Knutty.
vanka

Post by vanka »

Careful with this WD-40. I don't recommend using it on a knife or any other fine machinery. Few weeks ago i heard someone saying that WD-40 can damage brass. And as i'm very curious person grabbed an old piece of brass, cleaned it with paste 'till shining and sprayed it with WD-40. As you know WD-40 just sprayed is with a water like consistency. I put the sprayed piece of brass in a drawer and left it there. Two days later, the thing still wasn't evaporated and was thick and sticky like a regular motor oil. So yeah, i guess it would attract a lot of lint. Otherwise it's good for old hinges and stuff like that.
Croix

Post by Croix »

Awesome, I will use minera oil or CLP gun oil in the future.

I had been carrying my PM2 daily for almost a full year, and the lint from my pocket made the opening less smooth. The small shot of WD 40 restored the knife to the spyderco quality smoothness I was use to.

I am glad to know the WD 40 won't damage the bushings. Thanks for the information.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

It is a lubricant. But it sucks for that purpose. Chicken fat would work better ...

Gordon
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Funny coincidence, I was just at the hardware store staring down a can of WD-40, seeing if it dared call itself a lubricant. It backed down. It calls itself a "multi-use product", and the closest it came to claiming to lubricate was saying that it loosens stuck bolts. I guess my stare was pretty intimidating. :cool:

I would never use it on a knife. In fact, I don't lubricate my knives at all any more. I simply try to keep them clean and dry. If I absolutely must oil something, I'll use mineral oil because my knives all invariably will see food at some point in their duty. It does a fine job, but it needs to be reapplied every so often and since it will hold onto dust and dirt, should be thoroughly cleaned every once in a while to keep that stuff from building up inside the pivot.
araneae

Post by araneae »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I find it can get sticky when it dries up. It will not damage it but there are far better lubricants. I use basic food grade mineral oil and have been happy but I prefer to keep my blades food safe.
This.
Ed Schempp

Post by Ed Schempp »

I sharpen the knife first. When I service a knife I blow the interior out with compressed air. I then flush with WD40 and again blow out with compressed air. I then lubricate with some sort of synthetic grease and use compressed air to blow into the pivot and back spring areas. I operate the knife many times to spread the lubricant and then clean off excess lube. This has been the most efficient means of cleaning and lubricating. When I'm sharpening I do use belts and buffers and can toss a lot of debris around through the knife. I sharpen for 3 law enforcement agencies in my area and service dozens of knives per year....Take Care...Ed
PS: phosphorous bronze if very tough and corrosion resistant
chloe

Post by chloe »

Developed for the Atlas missile project, to disperse water. It does, I think provide some light lube for a short time.

I would not know, dad just told me that!
chloe

Post by chloe »

Developed for the Atlas missile project, to disperse water. It does, I think provide some light lube for a short time.

I would not know, dad just told me that!

Now I am going to get hammered in Mid town! and hope my car and driver waits until 4:00am!

Chloe