The Spyderco Starmate

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MacLaren

Re: The Spyderco Starmate

Post by MacLaren »

GoldenSpydie wrote:I've never handled the newer version, but the old version is awesome.

That looks fantastic.

I reckon I'm takin somewhat a gamble on the new Starmate. But, I like it and am willing to.
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

some additional comparison pics old<->new, first pic with the catalog of their first appearance

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

MacLaren wrote:
gbelleh wrote:I hope you enjoy it! I don't mind the rough ricasso, or slight rattle of the lanyard tube. But I don't like that my Starmate has no closed retention at all. That's the only reason I don't carry it anymore. One day, I might get around to sending it in to Spyderco to see if it could be improved.
Thank you :). I really hope I do.
No closed retention. That's not good. It sure wouldn't hurt to see what they could do...
If the detent is weak, one thing you can try to strengthen it is to add more tension to the lock bar. To accomplish this, you will likely need to disassemble the knife (and void the warranty :rolleyes: ) and very carefully bend the lock bar so there's more tension on the blade's tang when it's closed. Or, you could send it to Spyderco and have them tweak it for you. ;)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Wow! Nice pics Marcus and GS!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Marcus&GS, thank you both for taking the time to include the pics.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

SpyderNut wrote:If the detent is weak, one thing you can try to strengthen it is to add more tension to the lock bar. To accomplish this, you will likely need to disassemble the knife (and void the warranty :rolleyes: ) and very carefully bend the lock bar so there's more tension on the blade's tang when it's closed. Or, you could send it to Spyderco and have them tweak it for you. ;)
I have considered taking it apart and seeing if I could deepen the detent notch or something. But I'm really not much of a modder. I should just send it in.

Nice comparison pics!
The original Starmate is on my grail list.
:bug-red-white
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

There is a lot of tension on the lockbar. I think the hole for the detent must be a little too small. I mailed my Starmate to a professional tinkerer to see if he could improve the strength of the detent. He said he didn't want to mess with it. It wasn't bad enough I guess, in his opinion to risk screwing it up.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

That is true (regarding trying to fix the weak detent). If the hole for the detent was drilled completely through the lock bar, one could simply push the smaller (presumably 1/16" detent ball) out and ream to a bigger size (e.g. 3/32" or 1/8" detent). The larger detent will likely hold the blade more securely than the 1/16" detent. It can be done, but not without a bit of risk and effort.
Last edited by SpyderNut on Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I've been wanting to get my hands on one and have made two trade offers, but people don't want to let go of them. Despite of the negative comments.

I want to see what the fuss is about.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Yeah, I've got the original model and love it, and have been pondering buying the newer one with full liners as well.
(Just picked up a smaller Double Bevel instead!)

Up until now seeing this thread here, I have often wondered why since joining this forum I never really saw any talk or love for the Starmate??
Seems to be a staple model, IMO, but not much current buzz about it.

I never realized there were some people having issues with the new one either though.
But, I've seen people say the same about the Worker Sprint, but mine is primo... maybe luck of the hand dealt though.

Not a great pic of it, but only one handy of my Starmate:

@OldSarSwmr had some great comparison photos as well when I saw he had a newer Starmate with nice wooden scales posted elsewhere, and also a Double Bevel, and he was kind enough to pm me some good comparison photos of them all... Hopefully he can chime in as well and post some input and photos!
Going back to Caly.
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

The Starmate, to me, is one of those iconic Spyderco knives that is a must have. The lines on the knife just flow and are beautiful to my eye. I usually show the Starmate to people that aren't exactly sold on Spyderco's designs. That is not a knock on Spyderco but we all know folks that are hesitant to purchase one based solely on the looks. The Starmate seems to transcend any preconceived notions that some have of the "knife with the hole". It is just classic beauty, carries well in the pocket and is pretty stout.
I love the original but the new version has a place in my pocket too. It was definitely one of those knives that got me all twitterpated the first time I saw it.
There were some fit and finish issues with the new version but nothing that interfered with the function of the knife.

I would love to see the Starmate with titanium scales and a RIL, it wouldn't really be a Starmate anymore but it would be in my pocket!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

SpeedHoles&OldSarSwmr, thanx much for the pics!
I'm glad I went ahead and pulled the trigger on one.
Hopefully, she'll be here next week. I'll take a lot of pics and do an initial impression thread.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

MacLaren wrote:SpeedHoles&OldSarSwmr, thanx much for the pics!
Hopefully, she'll be here next week. I'll take a lot of pics and do an initial impression thread.

You ever get yours?
Going back to Caly.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

SpeedHoles wrote:
MacLaren wrote:SpeedHoles&OldSarSwmr, thanx much for the pics!

You ever get yours?
Actually, I backed out in favor a cf dodo.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I saw someone mention a price somewhere so I searched around for who had it for a good price. Amazon has them for a resonable price (plus tax). I placed an order earlier this week.

I didn't notice until I just looked at Marcus's pictures that this is a Moki model.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Donut wrote:I saw someone mention a price somewhere so I searched around for who had it for a good price. Amazon has them for a resonable price (plus tax). I placed an order earlier this week.

I didn't notice until I just looked at Marcus's pictures that this is a Moki model.
Please let us know how the F&F is on yours when you receive it. For some reason, I keep thinking about getting another Starmate... :o
Donut

Post by Donut »

Will do. I'm sure I'll give my ideas of it in this thread.

If that spot is rough, I might try to fix it with a DMT stone or something.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Picked it up today. It seems like a really nice knife. Almost a heavy duty Military. :P

Date Code is DN. (April 2014?) My ricaso is finished. I can get pictures later. The detent retention is weak. For some reason, they have the detent ball located as close to the pivot as it can, which the definition of torque means it will hold the weakest. The inside of the opening hole is all stained. The lube worked good at first, but gummed up very quickly. I added some grease and it's operating well. It feels like the path the detent ball travels on is rough.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Thanks for the update and report, Brian. I imagine the reason the detent ball was placed so "high" in the liner is likely to prevent the blade from going off center when it is in the closed position. To address the rough detent channel issue, I usually clamp a single sheet of 600 grit sandpaper to a piece of glass on my work bench and gently flat-sand the tang area of the blade (on the side where the channel is located). Obviously you'll have to dissemble your knife in order to accomplish this, unfortunately, but it'll likely be worth the effort. While you have it apart, you could also try gently bending the liner a bit further than center to help increase the detent ball retention on the blade.
Donut

Post by Donut »

The lube seems to be operating nicely so far. Here are my pictures. I forgot to get the inside of the hole, but you can sort of see it.

Finished Ricaso

Detent Location

They reduced weight near the lockbar cutout. I'm not sure if that would compromise lock strength or not.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.