Manix 2 g10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Enduraguy96

Manix 2 g10

Post by Enduraguy96 »

Just ordered one of these, very excited, the only bad thing I've heard is the lock takes a while to get to a sweet spot.

Any reviews on the manix2 ?
para military 2
Fallkniven f1
Endura 4 ffg
manbug superblue
tenacious x 2
manix 2 g10
mastiff

Re: Manix 2 g10

Post by mastiff »

I have 2 right now, the Regular satin Manix 2 G-10 and the DLC (black coated) G-10. The Manix 2 is my favorite Spyderco by far. It fits my hand slightly better than the PM2 (blasphemy, I know) and fits better in the change pockets of my jeans better. The handle on the PM2 is just a little too long to fit without tilting it in my change pocket, making extraction a little harder. The lock was easy for me and I did notice that it "broke in" after some use. I have strong hands and fingers though, turning rusty bolts with 2 fingers on a regular basis will do that LOL. I pick the Manix 2 more than any other folder for EDC. I have have some of the most popular folders that Spyderco makes in the two Manix 2s, a PM2, Tenacious, Delica, Stretch, and Sage 3. I pick the Manix 2 four days a week or more for EDC, it just fits my hands, pocket, and use better than any of the others.

The Sage 3 is very close though, I just can't bring myself to get oil, gear lube. or road grime on it. I'll probably have to buy another so I don't just use it as a "Dress" folder, which that's what it does on Sundays. It reminds me of the Manix 2 but with a much easier to actuate lock. The ergos feel very close to the Manix 2. If you like the Manix 2 when you get it I suggest you check the Sage 3 out. It also needed "broken in" but for the opposite reason. It was too easy. After a week of play it started working perfect, could have been a slight burr on the lock or who knows what but it's perfect now. It's also the nicest finished Spydie I have, just gorgeous.

Here's some pics of them:
With the Sage 3 and Manix 2
[URL=http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img]
[/url]
[URL=http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img]
[/url]
The 2 Manix 2s
[URL=http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]
[URL=http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]

I learned a long time ago that if I like something get 2, usually things get discontinued right after I find out I like it. The Manix 2 is just such a folder for me. The only other thing that people dislike is the 5 ounce weight. Me, I don't notice it. If a 6'1" 200 lb guy can't carry 5 ounces then maybe he needs to examine his physical fitness level because something is wrong. I bought the Manix 2 because it seemed to be the sturdiest folder Spyderco builds in that size. They even use the words "hard use" knife in the description. My next will be a Native 5 G-10, then I'll be able to compare those two and make a final decision on which I find better suited to my needs. The Manix 2 is going to be hard to beat for me though.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Hey Mastiff after purchasing the grey Cruwear variant, Manix2 started to grow in me.It has skeletonized liners so it's lighter.After being a Para fan, Manix 2 gives me the feeling of a much more sturdy knife.I have a question: does it have a "pivot bushing"? I had a nasty experience with one of my Para's since it has side to side blade play.
mastiff

Post by mastiff »

I think it does, I remember watching a vid of a guy taking one apart and I remember the pivot bushing dropping out. It's pretty smooth so it could be.

Edit: Here's the vid I watched: https://youtu.be/7c_9vtjda3o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It looks like it does @ 4:00 minutes in. Mine hasn't had a problem and I sit and flick my folders when I'm bored.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I've got the cru-wear version, great knife. The lock took 3 days of playing to "break in", but the bigger part of it imo is YOU get used to the lock. Don't worry about it, your fingers will take a beating for a few days but it's worth it. Pick up some "O'Keeffe's Working Hands" and you'll be just fine.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
- SpyderMan -

Post by - SpyderMan - »

Not really a review, but I love my G-10 Manix 2. Probably as much as my PM2's, matter of fact.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I have 3 of them with G10 and also the S110V version with FRN scales.
The Manix 2 is a heavier, more solid feeling knife than the PM2. The grip shape does fit my hand better than the PM2 although I still like the PM2.
3 of my 4 have very smooth locks, no break-in required.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

If the question is "Manix 2" the answer is "yes!"

The s110v lightweight is especially good. But at this point I own a lot of different flavors and I still come back to the s30v G-10 (my first) fairly often. And that's with the s110v lightweight, cru-wear, M4 and s90v all in my rotation. The only one that doesn't get a lot of pocket time is the BD-1 lightweight, partly because it's outclassed by the s110v and partly because one of my employees appropriated it and carries it almost constantly.

I prefer the Manix to the PM, mostly because I like the CBBL better than the Comp Lock. The only real competitor to the Manix is the Sage 3, which is basically filling the "mini-manix" role in my rotation.
Enduraguy96

Post by Enduraguy96 »

:spyder: Turns out the manix 2 g10 is a darn fine knife!
para military 2
Fallkniven f1
Endura 4 ffg
manbug superblue
tenacious x 2
manix 2 g10
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

I've had a bunch of Manix2 and Manix XL variants. Never had a single one that had a lock that changed from the moment I first handled it. Maybe it's pure chance.

I just put some of Allen Putnam's toxic green scales on my Manix2, and cut a couple coils off the spring to lighten it up. I'm still not a big fan of the lock, and the knife is heavier than it should be (I'm a fan of FRN), but it's a great knife, I guess.
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

elena86 wrote:Hey Mastiff after purchasing the grey Cruwear variant, Manix2 started to grow in me.It has skeletonized liners so it's lighter.
How do you like the Cruwear steel? There is currently one of those in my local shop and it looks intriguing. Does the grey/cream G10 get dirty easily?

I was never a fan of the old Saber ground non-skeletonised manix 2 but the newer one does. I have one of the lightweights which is a very nice knife so would like to check out the G10 version.

Bruno
elena86

Post by elena86 »

glbpro wrote:
elena86 wrote:Hey Mastiff after purchasing the grey Cruwear variant, Manix2 started to grow in me.It has skeletonized liners so it's lighter.
How do you like the Cruwear steel? There is currently one of those in my local shop and it looks intriguing. Does the grey/cream G10 get dirty easily?

I was never a fan of the old Saber ground non-skeletonised manix 2 but the newer one does. I have one of the lightweights which is a very nice knife so would like to check out the G10 version.

Bruno
Cruwear is a great allaround steel.People say the light grey G10 does get dirty quite easy but I wouldn't know since I do not carry mine every day.My cruwear Manix is destined for outdoors and long trips and I will take care not to use it with dirty hands.It's not a biggie for me anyway.I supose you could somehow clean the G10 handle.For edc I have the light S110V variant.But usually I carry my sage1 which is very close in shape to the Manix2.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Manix2 (whatever the steel and scale) and buyer's remorse are two ideas about as diametrically opposed as can be.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Look at the Manix 2 with blue FRN handles and S110V, really nice. Also - the Sage 1 is a very, very smooth liner lock knife. The handle in the Sage 1 and 2 is slightly more narrow than the Sage 3, although the blade is the same on all three. Although carbon fiber and G10 handles feel better in the hand - the FRCP/FRN handles are probably more practical and have a superior grip for a work knife. The Manix 2 is a bit wide; I think the Native 5 is the sweet spot in terms of size (similar to the Sage, except the Sage has a thumb ramp). Just right in length and width. A good general purpose blade shape.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

glbpro wrote:

Bruno

My cru-wear's g10 definitely got dirty, and fast. However it did so very evenly with no splotchy stains or anything, (I was worried at first) it is now just a darker shade of grey. When I first got it I tried cleaning it as it got dirty, cleaned up well but in the end it was too much trouble. I decided if it started to look bad I would just buy custom scales but as it darkened evenly I really like it. The steel is quite good, holds an edge well and sharpens up without any trouble.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?