Dear Deacon

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Dear Deacon

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I do not know if this is just a strange sense of humor, some very creative trolling or a truly "unique" individual but I am at least mildly entertained. I think it would be safe to say we belong firmly in off-topic by this point.

If I was a moderator I would move this train wreck myself.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Tdhurl1103

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

Yeah, the thread was successfully hijacked and then destroyed. Thanks
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

Para 3, Gayle Bradley 1, Double Bevel, Paramilitary 2, Paramilitary 2 S110V, Sage 1, Persistence
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

FDE wrote:If you are sincere about being here to learn and talk about Spyderco knives, then an excellent way to initiate meaningful conversation is to post a picture of your collection or perhaps just your favorite knife. Just a thought...
+1 On that thought.
And no Mr Henry has nothing to do with spyderco.
He is a custom knifemaker so he has no company or brand he just makes knives on his own and makes just a few of them in a year.

And we may sound a little unhappy but on this forum we are all the same kind of guys that more or less like the same things in life.
And 1 of them offcourse is spyderco otherwise we would not be here. We allways talk about knives and the things closest to them.

We never talk about the chat stuff because you can already talk about that everywhere.. The talks we have here on the otherhand are limited in real life . So that is the reason we defend this forum and keep it the way it is because we do not want to see this place changed in another "twitter"/"facebook" thing. So i think all of us would be happy if you only ask real knife related questions and let the "personal life things" behind. If you do that you will see we can be very friendly and helpfull.

Also i hope a moderator will close this thing down ore in any case move it to non topic.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I will jump in again with a nod towards the William Henry knives. Very high tech supersteels like ZDP 189 yet very excellent craftsmanship. As I understand it they grind the steel and send it back to Japan for the heat treatment temper and back again for final finish. They run their steel hard and thin and fit is like nice jewlery. Just the thing for the guy that likes his English suits and Swiss watches.

I prefer platinum to gold but I'd find it a bit silly spending $50,000 on a watch. Personally I'd rather take the money and fix up the rec room at the local rest home where I volunteer. Give some to the Childrens hospital after that. It would make me feel better than any watch made.

joe
Holland

Post by Holland »

I clicked on this thread as i was wondering how such a simple question warranted 4 pages all the sudden and I'm glad I did, this thread is hilarious :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Is The Deacon ok, I haven't seen him about lately? I hope he's not neglecting us for parties with the stewardesses in the hot tub :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
chloe

Post by chloe »

Thank you for the Spyderco Pin, Deacon! I love it!

There was an envelope at the resident's desk for me this morning, and there was a Spyderco Pin, and a note that said, "To Chloe, from the Deacon."

Now my sister Crystal wants one, too!

Thx Deac!
chloe

Post by chloe »

I'm on my way over to Bergdorf-Goodman, and I'm going to wear it!

This is so cool! OMG!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It truly is the little things in life that make it special. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
FDE

Post by FDE »

Dear Chloe the Deaconess
Please forget about the William Henry custom. It is not the knife you want.
What you really want (& deserve) is an M4 steel sprint run exclusive Paramilitary 2 in a G10 color of your choice. Preferably not pink or purple...
Don't let "military" in the name frighten you! Its just the name of a knife. An amazing one at that.
Of course to get such an amazing knife you will have to commission a production run of say.....1200 pieces.
No worries though! Your newly found friends here on the forum would be happy to buy the surplus knives from you. We could even throw in an extra 10 bucks over dealer cost for your trouble to ship them.
It could be called the Deaconess Sprint run PM2.
This would be the best way (maybe the only way) for us to know you are a truely committed Spyderco fan and forum member.

Take care and please keep us updated on the progress of the Deaconess blade.
FDE

Post by FDE »

I almost forgot to mention that your special deaconess knife can have cute little star screws and you can name the spyder having the name engraved next to it on the blade.
Doesn't that sound sooo cute?!
chloe

Post by chloe »

1200 pieces? Like is this a special order? How about "Baby Bird Egg Shell Blue?" And, can the star crossed screws come in gold tones? And a gold clip, too.

Maybe I could take the money from petty cash. I could just give them away if you guys teach me more about knives, but mostly from the Deacon! He knows more than anyone about these knives!

Also, I bought some white Spyderco knives from a pawn shop in the Bronx! Awful neighborhood they are a lady bug, Delica and an Endura all white sell very cute.

Just as cute, they also had a lot of little miniature Spydreco's, one is a necklace, and the rest all about an inch when closed and they have a small amount of different types of wood where you hold them, and some that scalloped kind of blade, not the regular one. I did not know they made them this small with wood on them, very pretty. The man who sold them told me they were real old like from 1990 or the eighties, a real long time ago!

I just bought what they had, quickly since the other customers are not nice like at Bergdorf's, they're mean looking and scary!
chloe

Post by chloe »

The pin the Deacon sent me got a ton of attention the other day at Bergdorf's. Several ladies said it was so cute, and asked where I got it.

I said the Deacon gave it to me, and one lady almost passed out and said "The Deacon of St. Patrick's?" I said well, no this is a different Deacon and it was lost in translation.

They all want one of the Spyderco spider pins! And, they loved the purple Lady Bug, too.

This could be a trend around here since they all want something different!

Thanks Deacon for sending me the pin!!!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

chloe wrote:1200 pieces? Like is this a special order? How about "Baby Bird Egg Shell Blue?" And, can the star crossed screws come in gold tones? And a gold clip, too.

Maybe I could take the money from petty cash. I could just give them away if you guys teach me more about knives, but mostly from the Deacon! He knows more than anyone about these knives!

Also, I bought some white Spyderco knives from a pawn shop in the Bronx! Awful neighborhood they are a lady bug, Delica and an Endura all white sell very cute.

Just as cute, they also had a lot of little miniature Spydreco's, one is a necklace, and the rest all about an inch when closed and they have a small amount of different types of wood where you hold them, and some that scalloped kind of blade, not the regular one. I did not know they made them this small with wood on them, very pretty. The man who sold them told me they were real old like from 1990 or the eighties, a real long time ago!

I just bought what they had, quickly since the other customers are not nice like at Bergdorf's, they're mean looking and scary!
Yikes. :eek: A pawn shop in the Bronx sounds a bit dicey. Better watch your six in there. As for the smallish Spyderco knives featuring wooden handles and "scalloped" (serrated) blades, those would be the famed Hummingbird models. They are quite rare and usually fetch a hefty sum of money on the secondary market. Good find, assuming the price(s) were decent.

By the way, the 80's weren't that long ago. Lol :p ;)
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

I......I just am so confused right now.....
chloe

Post by chloe »

SpyderNut wrote:
chloe wrote:1200 pieces? Like is this a special order? How about "Baby Bird Egg Shell Blue?" And, can the star crossed screws come in gold tones? And a gold clip, too.

Yikes. :eek: A pawn shop in the Bronx sounds a bit dicey. Better watch your six in there. As for the smallish Spyderco knives featuring wooden handles and "scalloped" (serrated) blades, those would be the famed Hummingbird models. They are quite rare and usually fetch a hefty sum of money on the secondary market. Good find, assuming the price(s) were decent.

By the way, the 80's weren't that long ago. Lol :p ;)
The 80's were like a hundred years ago. Some times, I ride the subway to Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens, alone. But when I bought the knives I had a tip of up in the Bronx, I went with my pilot, or advance, my car, and the straggler. But the tuffies at that part of town were below my pay grade, and mean, not nice like the people are in Manhattan.

Where is the Deacon, I need him to post so I can show it on my smart phone he is not the Deacon of St. Patrick's in Mid Town!

By the by, I'm still a Deaconess with my sister, Crystal! She has had way more trouble in NYC than I have, OMG!!!
chloe

Post by chloe »

Wait what do you mean a hefty sum of money? I asked the owner of the dreadful pawn shop if I could have all the knives for $20.00, and he said in NYC the are fifty bucks! So I bought about 12 wooden knives, and three white plastic Spyderco's! For $50.00, is that too much?

I just left the plaza for home in another hotel, and I just got in now, after, like 2AM. Whoa! I have the whirlies.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

He knows more than anyone about these knives!
You are correct on that Chloe. He is who I'd ask about models, variations of such, prices when released and other type stuff.

As you found out he is a true class act as well. He has inspired me to keep my temper in check once or twice. More than any other site I've ever seen there are some of the most decent, kind and big hearted people at this place. There are those that have tried to take advantage of that too so perhaps when you see us being protective or cynical about stories that seem unusual you might understand why we act the way we do.

Welcome to Spyderco. I hope it's as beneficial and enjoyable an experience for you as it has been for me.

Joe
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

chloe wrote:Wait what do you mean a hefty sum of money? I asked the owner of the dreadful pawn shop if I could have all the knives for $20.00, and he said in NYC the are fifty bucks! So I bought about 12 wooden knives, and three white plastic Spyderco's! For $50.00, is that too much?

I just left the plaza for home in another hotel, and I just got in now, after, like 2AM. Whoa! I have the whirlies.
By "hefty sum of money," I meant to say that some Hummingbirds go for a couple of hundred dollars each on places like eBay. If you were able to get several Hummingbirds for $50 bucks, that would basically be the steal of the century! :D If you get time, could you post some pictures of the Hummingbirds?
P.S. If the 80's were like a "hundred years ago," I should be in a nursing home by now! :p :p
Lonehunter

Post by Lonehunter »

Chloe , thanks ! This has been the most entertaining thread here in quite a while , you've played some here like a bow fiddle , my hats off to you !

Looking forward to more.

Oh and William Henry is a Quaker who discovered Pennsylvania , then went on to making gentleman folders.
Last edited by Lonehunter on Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.