Does the Delica blade look like a " bird head " ? Prefer more of the leaf design. Dragonfly?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Re: Does the Delica blade look like a " bird head " ? Prefer more of the leaf design. Dragonfly?

Post by Surfingringo »

Jazz wrote:
HorserloverFat wrote:
Jazz wrote:If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you like it, buy it. Odd question.
Well, it's kind of hard when all one has to go on is a photograph and/or video. It would be a different story if I could actually handle and thereby compare them. Who's the oddball now , Jazz ? :p
I just thought if you didn't like the shape then you didn't like the shape. Holding it wouldn't make the looks change. Yes, I can be an oddball, and your comment made me smile.
Well...... I would bet that every member on this forum (including yourself) could name at least one Spyderco that went from kind of fugly to beautiful after holding/using it. Helll, I've even had some of em get prettier just from reading about other people holding it!! ;) :)
HorserloverFat

Re: Does the Delica blade look like a " bird head " ? Prefer more of the leaf design. Dragonfly?

Post by HorserloverFat »

Surfingringo wrote:If you are into flippers you should check out the dice too.
I use to like flippers , but Spyderco knives ruined my interest in them for the most part (except for my sole flipper a Leek). I will elaborate : there is just something about opening the blade by contact with the hole that is just more satisfying than flipping it open. I'm aware of the benefits of a flipper such as safety, but I just don't care much for them anymore. Maybe this will change someday.

Thanks for your comments. You really put these knives through their paces, so your perspective is of more value than some of us that tend to just carry them around like jewelry. You have my vote for a Spyderco ambassador !
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

Evil D wrote:I'd suggest putting less priority in looks and more into performance and ergonomics. I do understand though, we all like what we like. The Dfly is a great knife, but a good bit smaller than the Delica too. If you're interested, many knives can easily be modified and made smaller with a little grinding. I reworked my original Paramilitary and gave it a slight leaf shape and it really changed the character of the knife.

The PM2 is next on my list ... ETA in the spring.
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

The Deacon wrote:Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some value function over form, others try to find something that offers both. No "wrong" or "right" here, it's strictly a matter of taste. So, if the Delica's blade shape doesn't "float your boat", there are plenty of other options. If you're looking for a more leaf shaped, FFG, blade and want something bigger than the Dragonfly but smaller than a Manix 2, you might want to consider the Chaparral series, Sage series, Native 5, or the Caly 3.
Well said. Thank you , sir.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

HorserloverFat wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:If you are into flippers you should check out the dice too.
I use to like flippers , but Spyderco knives ruined my interest in them for the most part (except for my sole flipper a Leek). I will elaborate : there is just something about opening the blade by contact with the hole that is just more satisfying than flipping it open. I'm aware of the benefits of a flipper such as safety, but I just don't care much for them anymore. Maybe this will change someday.
Could not agree with you more!
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

I forgot to mention that a female friend told me that the Manix 2 looks like a pterodactyl. LOL.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

HorserloverFat wrote:I forgot to mention that a female friend told me that the Manix 2 looks like a pterodactyl. LOL.

Pterodactyls are fake, but Manix 2 is the real deal when in your hand, lol ;)

Just get a Khukuri cuz it looks like a Toucan.

I bet you'd have some interesting replies to the Rorschach inkblot.

I'd say Sage or Native, and Chappie/Dragonfly if you want a bit smaller.
Last edited by SpeedHoles on Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Going back to Caly.
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Dragon Fly. Looks just like a knife, cuts like it's much bigger. Get the ZDP 189 blade & you'll be amazed at how well it cuts & how functional a small, light, precise knife can be.
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

^
I am considering the ZDP 189 as it appears that the steel is worth an extra $ 20. Thanks.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Native is a great knife, Sage? Techno is a great smaller Spydie.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Surfingringo wrote:
Jazz wrote:
HorserloverFat wrote:
Jazz wrote:If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you like it, buy it. Odd question.
Well, it's kind of hard when all one has to go on is a photograph and/or video. It would be a different story if I could actually handle and thereby compare them. Who's the oddball now , Jazz ? :p
I just thought if you didn't like the shape then you didn't like the shape. Holding it wouldn't make the looks change. Yes, I can be an oddball, and your comment made me smile.
Well...... I would bet that every member on this forum (including yourself) could name at least one Spyderco that went from kind of fugly to beautiful after holding/using it. Helll, I've even had some of em get prettier just from reading about other people holding it!! ;) :)

For me it's my Gayle Bradley. I still don't think it's the nicest looking, most appealing shaped knife, but I bought it realizing I would appreciate the odd lines and shapes for the ergonomic impact they would have. In person and in hand the knife looks far better than in pics. The scales in particular are no where near as shiny and slippery as they appear. They actually feel exactly like my football which is a good thing. Now that I have it I really like some of the nice touches and care they put into this thing.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
swigert

Post by swigert »

I think either the Chapparral series or Sage series will be perfect for you.
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

How about a sage 3. The bolt action lock alone makes it a unique spydie.