Tatanka vs Voyager lock strength test By Cold Steel

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wanimator

Tatanka vs Voyager lock strength test By Cold Steel

Post by Wanimator »

Cold Steel released a lock test video squaring a Voyager vs a Tatanka. Draw your own conclusions, and remember shiny footprints.

https://youtu.be/gTt4sYr ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by Wanimator on Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Tatanka vs Voyager lock strength test By Cold Steel

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I wouldn't break either one. That is all I need to know.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

[Deleted]
Last edited by Wanimator on Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bearfacedkiller

In the end both blade broke before either lock totally failed and who could ever apply these forces without putting a six foot pipe over the handle of their knife.

Still appreciate someone else ponying up the funds to destroy these two knives. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Haha, yeah, me too.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Thx CS for doing the CQI so Spyderco doesn't have too :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
KevinOubre

Post by KevinOubre »

Yet again proving that at a certain point, lock strength is irrelevant. The blades of most folding knives will certainly fail before the lock. So what then did this video prove? Just something for the Cold Steel fanbois to get their rocks off to. Though the voyager is a really solid knife design, like the tatanka.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I didn't bother watching the whole thing. Like I've said dozens of times before, I'll put my Wildsteer WX's lock up against ANY lock on the market by ANY maker. You'll snap the blade off before you defeat that lock.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

There is not a test cs can do that will ever get me to buy even 1 of there knives in this life or even the next.
And here is why.

1) Spyderco makes knives to cut things with first all the rest comes second...
2) SAL, ERIC AND CREW use there minds first and there words wait for the best time to be spoken.
3) SAL is here talking to us all.

Then on topic i have handled the tatanka nice knife good lock. The best lock spyderco already made? No im sure of it that it is not.
My chinook 2 is in heavely used condition and still is the best lock i have encounterd.
Put my chinook in that same test and i am sure of it that cs will not only break it will cry like a baby before my chinook even gives a kick.

But why o why would a person that is looking for a knife only look at the "lock". Coldsteel can have there "super triad lock"...
We on the other hand have the super sharp blade... so checkmate to the other brands out there ;)
swigert

Post by swigert »

Johnnie1801 wrote:Thx CS for doing the CQI so Spyderco doesn't have too :D
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I'm a little naturally sceptical when one company does a review like this, because to be fair it should at least be done by a third party.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
bearfacedkiller

I'll keep pulling out my Beckers and Esees when I need to get medieval. I understand why someone would want a folder with the strength of a fixed blade and I also respect and appreciate the engineers and designers who feel compelled to push the envelope but I survived for years with a SAK and a Buck110 so the current offerings in regards to strength, reliability and safety are more than adequate for me.

Thanks but no thanks. This test just doesn't really apply to me.
-Darby
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

As a few comments :

-Cold Steel's makes plenty of knives that cut very well. While they do make things like the AK-47 which are geared far more towards non-cutting and general utility, they have lots of very thin ground blades which can cut alongside Spyderco's knives

-The impacts that are seen there are not "far beyond" what a person could do without a wrench or other mechanical assistance. They are using a small weight on a very short lever arm which generates a small amount of rotational energy. It would not even take an adult to generate those kinds of impacts on a knife with a small piece of wood in hand, or simply swinging at something and hitting something hard, or swinging something and hitting the knife in hand/spine.

-Spyderco used to aggressively promote very high lock break points on MBC (fighting knives) because they were necessary to have that level of strength due to the very high loads which could happen in use and have aggressively promoted the new Power Lock based on its strength. it is hardly unreasonable to actually look at those claims in a quantitative manner.

In regards to the break, note that Cold Steel alters the hardening of the steel in and around the pivot to prevent those types of impact failures. I discussed this with Demco previously. They have optomized their hardening of the steel to make it excel in those tests so it isn't surprising that Spyderco's knife would break and CS's would not. This should, at a minimum, get Spyderco to look at the design of the lock and the mating faces to see if the hardening in those areas could be adjusted to prevent brittle failure and allow ductile failure as it doesn't make sense to have a lock which is so strong if the blade breaks before the lock does as the increase in lock strength isn't functional.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Fun to watch at the least. The problem I see with this test is that it would likely not have been published had the Cold Steel "lost."
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I've done frankly "100% stupid-likely-to-terrify-your-Health&Safety Rep" stuff with my Delica down the years- including things practically the same as the test shown on wood. Yes, I am a horrible abuser of knives sometimes. :D

I had neither the lock fail nor the blade fail....I don't feel that this is unique nor that my Delica has some superduper FRN and VG10 that is magical.

I'm still waiting to understand why "ultimate" lock-strength is the measurement by which some folks base their opinion of which is the best folding knife.....Like engine BHP, ultimate top speed, golf handicap and so forth- It's great for "Winning" the bar-room debate (You know, the one that's ultimately a tacit version of comparing lengths of a certain appendage)- If that's that's what matters to you, then go on, fill yer boots.
Last edited by demoncase on Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Cliff Stamp wrote:As a few comments :

Spyderco used to aggressively promote very high lock break points on MBC (fighting knives) because they were necessary to have that level of strength due to the very high loads which could happen in use and have aggressively promoted the new Power Lock based on its strength. it is hardly unreasonable to actually look at those claims in a quantitative manner.
Agreed. It's always good to see claims put to the test.
demoncase wrote:
I'm still waiting to understand why "ultimate" lock-strength is the measurement by which some folks base their opinion of which is the best folding knife.....
Because some folks always maintain that a folder is a "pre-broken" knife. Now when someone comes up with a folder that transcends that description, those same folks will find a way to dismiss the facts(and conveniently ignore their previous pronouncements)...

I would say though that that posting shows what kind of class some people have.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

[quote="demoncase"]I've done frankly 100% Special Olympics stuff with my Delica down the years-

not trying to make you feel bad, but I am sure you could have picked a better analogy than "Special Olympics". I know I am not the only special needs parent on this forum.
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

There's a lot of variables that go into the strength of a folder. I think any lock is more than strong enough. The Triad lock and the Power lock are both incredibly strong locks, and will both withstand anything you need to do. If you break the lock, or break the blade, you're doing something very wrong. And the blade broke on both knives before the lock failed.

I just don't understand the "Cold Steel is way better" comments on the video. Both companies are very different, yet both offer something for everyone. Neither company is better or worse. I prefer Spyderco, but have nothing against Cold Steel.

Matt
swigert

Post by swigert »

twinboysdad wrote:
demoncase wrote:I've done frankly 100% Special Olympics stuff with my Delica down the years-

not trying to make you feel bad, but I am sure you could have picked a better analogy than "Special Olympics". I know I am not the only special needs parent on this forum.

I agree, demoncase would you mind editing that post?
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

I think one of the comments for the video nailed it. CS may have a good lock but their aesthetics aren't as good as spyderco. And when I say aesthetics, I'm talking a aesthetics borne out of function combined with a knife that doesn't look like it comes out of a jar.

If I was going to be beating the crap out of my folding knife or using it as a ladder rung I guess I'd take the CS knife even though the tatanka showed it could do whatever I needed it to as well. Let's face it, no one wants an ugly as sin wife even if she can cook some good cookies. Looks do play a factor.

If CS spent any amount of time finishing their knives as what spyderco does and used something a little more expensive to work with than AUS8 I'm sure their MSRP would be higher. And I'm sure if spyderco used an easy to grind steel that was cheap to obtain and slacked off on materials and having a finished look I'm sure they could drop the price significantly.

Having said all of that, I am kind of a little curious why spyderco didn't use a tougher steel than S30V. They had to have known people were going to do this stuff. You can see the lock didn't fail and that the handle didn't fail. The blade broke in basically the same spot both times. I wonder what would have happened if there was some laminated shock steel in that knife.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.