New Black Southard

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MacLaren

New Black Southard

Post by MacLaren »

She just arrived this a.m. And, I really like her a lot! I had once said this morning in my haste, that she flipped better than my Brown Southard's. Well, that's true for the older Brown Southard I have that is a '13 model, but the newer Brown Southard I have which btw, is the exact same as my new Black, both being born May of '14 flip with an equal snappiness if you will please. Please don't get me wrong, the older Southard I have flips just fine. It's just the newer Brown and New Black I have do seem just a little snappier. And, as with the newer Brown, the New Black is dead centered as where the older Brown wasn't centered. However, the older Brown Southard is still one helluva knife, I'm certainly not complaining. Just reporting what I see. So, that's 3 Southard's! Well, the older Brown, which btw, is really new, I, will be gifting to a relative. I was going to sell my newer Brown/Stainless Southard, but have since decided against it. I really like having both versions :) Now onto the Black Southard. As stated before, she came dead centered with early lock-up and very tight with no up/down side/side play. And I really,really love the feel of the Black G10 itself. Moreso, than the Brown G10. Which btw, I don't use anymore, as I replaced it with a Blue Twill CF scale that looks good imo. So, initial impressions of the new Black Southard are highly,highly favorable :) She's a keeper for sure fellas! Ive included some comparison pics with my Blue Twill CF Southard. And, without any further ado, onto the pics.....
MacLaren

Re: New Black Southard

Post by MacLaren »

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Very nice, definitely an instant classic!

Interesting that the brown vs black G10 has different feel? I haven't held a brown Southard. Is the texture actually different between the two?

I was reading on BF where some mentioned the new blacks flipping faster and firing harder than the brown ones, I think it was SpKetch saying that.

Any plans to change or alter the pocket clip?
Going back to Caly.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Yes, the Black G10 is somewhat smoother imo. I reckon one could say a better grip could be had with the Brown G10 though. I have absolutely no plans to change the clip. I like it a lot actually.
As for flipping, the newer Brown and Black Southard does feel a bit more snappier.
TBob

Post by TBob »

My Black Southard is one of my two favorite EDCs, the Slysz Bowie being the other. I'm developing a strong partiality to flippers.
Last edited by TBob on Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

**** brother. Those are some fine knives
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Strong-Dog wrote:**** brother. Those are some fine knives
:) I take that a real compliment coming from you...
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TBob wrote:My Black Southard is one of my two favorite EDCs, the Slysz Bowie being the other. I'm developing a strong partiality to flippers.
Me & you both ;)
I just love my Southard & Domino.
Of course, I love my non-flippers too.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Very nice! The Southard looks good in black.
:bug-red-white
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

gbelleh wrote:Very nice! The Southard looks good in black.
Thank you. I appreciate that.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Forgot to add, for anyone that's interested anyways, that I bought this Black Southard at NK, which is on sale for $209
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Nice Southard, and thanks for the pics!

I love the look of the Southard, but the ergonomics are totally off for my hand, so I'll probably never buy one. :(
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Nice Southard, and thanks for the pics!

I love the look of the Southard, but the ergonomics are totally off for my hand, so I'll probably never buy one. :(
I can understand that. However, it just works for me. Both, the Southard and Domino. Which imo, are two oh so very fine pieces. The Domino in particular. I sometimes feel it doesn't get the praise it deserves based on its looks. The Domino, can come across as plain Jane Spyderco, if that makes sense? However, I've yet to see a finer flipper out there. She's just total precision imo. A real testament to the genius of Eric Glesser. The Southard, it's just a flat-out gorgeous Spydie imo. With plenty of blade to boot :)
TBob

Post by TBob »

MacLaren wrote:

I can understand that. However, it just works for me. Both, the Southard and Domino. Which imo, are two oh so very fine pieces. The Domino in particular. I sometimes feel it doesn't get the praise it deserves based on its looks. The Domino, can come across as plain Jane Spyderco, if that makes sense? However, I've yet to see a finer flipper out there. She's just total precision imo. A real testament to the genius of Eric Glesser. The Southard, it's just a flat-out gorgeous Spydie imo. With plenty of blade to boot :)
That's my problem with the Domino - not enough blade. I have more than enough blades of < 3". My sweet spot is 3.5-4" these days.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I hear ya TBob. We've been hoping for an XL Domino for a while now ;)
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Nice score Mac!

I'm kind of sorry now that I passed on a brown Southard at Christmas. I thought I'd save a few $'s for later in the year and bought a Gayle Bradley instead. I definitely need some of that 204p though, hopefully you'll sell me your blue Domino one day :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
MickM

Post by MickM »

Almost sorry I opened your post, didn't know what a Southard is. Had to look it up and I'm impressed. I'm going to look seriously at one. Good luck, enjoy it.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Nice addition to the collection Paul, I have the brown version, it was one of my first grails and took me a long time to finally pull the trigger, great knife, perfect size and great steel. I carried mine for a while and still do from time to time. Mine is not the best flipper I have, that award goes to my BBS Domino, I think I need to take the southard apart and clean/polish.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Holland

Post by Holland »

You'd be surprised how your hands adapt after using it for a while. I sold my delica twice because the ergos can't compete with the caly3, but after finally giving the delica a real chance using it a bit my hands adapted to the handle and I love the ergos now.
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE