Chances of a new Dodo?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MattM68

Chances of a new Dodo?

Post by MattM68 »

I started collecting Spyderco knives back in May of last year, and like many others, I missed out on some awesome Spydies. The Dodo is the one discontinued knife I "need" to buy. I know I could just buy one used, or buy a new one for $300 at BBS, but I'd love to see a sprint or an upgraded version.

The Dodo seems to be a iconic Spyderco design, and is still quite popular. I'd love to see an interest in a sprint, or a new version. Spyderco has brought back discontinued knives before, so anything is possible!

Matt
rycen

Re: Chances of a new Dodo?

Post by rycen »

I suppose it's possible but considering there has been two fairly recent sprint runs I doubt it at least for a while.
swigert

Post by swigert »

It's always so hard determining if the BBS toute is worth it lol
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

There's a blue one for sale in the cove for $125 which isn't bad at all.... And if you're patient you should be able to snag an orange sprint run for around $140 on the BST forums.
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

spyderHS08 wrote:There's a blue one for sale in the cove for $125 which isn't bad at all.... And if you're patient you should be able to snag an orange sprint run for around $140 on the BST forums.
Thanks! I'm sure I'll end up buying an orange one if I can find it. I just thought it would be great if we could get another sprint or an upgraded version for those who missed the earlier models. With the Golden factory being renovated, anything could be possible!
swigert wrote:It's always so hard determining if the BBS toute is worth it lol
A few months ago they were $199! I should've got one then... They were $219 last week, and $300 now.

Matt
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

When I got my very first DODO model was back when it was first released in early 2004 I believe it was. I've had about 5 or 6 of them since I got my first one which is a blue PE model and I still have it by the way. I first thought the DODO was a novelty knife and not really to be taken seriously until one day I EDCed one for a few days actually and I was shocked and surprised at how versatile the DODO model is.

The old cliches "Looks Are Deceiving" or "You Can't Judge A Book By It's Cover" are certainly applicable when referring to the Dodo model. Becasue when I used it I immediately seen the genius of Eric Glesser's design. What I first thought to be a novelty knife was actually a very functional and durable EDC folder.

I love everything about the DODO model from it's ball bearing lock to it's ridgid G-10 handle which seems to fit almost everyone's hand amazingly. I too hope they bring back another DODO Sprint but this time I do hope they have a few of them in Spyderedge. The Dodo in Spyderedge is absolutely the best Spyderedged model of it's size range in all the Spyder Kingdom.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

MattM68 wrote: Thanks! I'm sure I'll end up buying an orange one if I can find it. I just thought it would be great if we could get another sprint or an upgraded version for those who missed the earlier models. With the Golden factory being renovated, anything could be possible!

Matt
No prob! And actually the orange and carbon fiber sprint runs have updated locks, tooling etc. so they've already updated the dodo and should hold up a bit better than the originals.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Yeah, like JD was saying, the Dodo most definitely surprised me! It wasn't until I actually owned and used one until I realized the brilliance.

...on a different note, I thought I remember seeing a thread where a lot of people were having problems with sticking and seized locks on the Orange Dodo's...?

I have a black G10, and while it does attract pocket lint and I do blown it out regularly with a compressor, I have not had 1 bit of issue with mine!

I wouldn't mind finding a CF version, but not for prices I see them at! Totally fine with mine.

Haven't been fortunate enough to try one with SE, but that could be a cool sprint, maybe foliage green, or burgundy or something, with full SE!
Going back to Caly.
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

SpeedHoles wrote:Yeah, like JD was saying, the Dodo most definitely surprised me! It wasn't until I actually owned and used one until I realized the brilliance.

...on a different note, I thought I remember seeing a thread where a lot of people were having problems with sticking and seized locks on the Orange Dodo's...?

I have a black G10, and while it does attract pocket lint and I do blown it out regularly with a compressor, I have not had 1 bit of issue with mine!

I wouldn't mind finding a CF version, but not for prices I see them at! Totally fine with mine.

Haven't been fortunate enough to try one with SE, but that could be a cool sprint, maybe foliage green, or burgundy or something, with full SE!
I was worried about the lock seizing up as well. I guess I'll take my chances if I pick one up! I think a foliage green SE dodo would be awesome as a sprint or exclusive. :)
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

MattM68 wrote: I think a foliage green SE dodo would be awesome as a sprint or exclusive. :)
Black bladed?? :cool:

Foliage green w/ se black blade would have my attention for sure!!
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

spyderHS08 wrote:
MattM68 wrote: I think a foliage green SE dodo would be awesome as a sprint or exclusive. :)
Black bladed?? :cool:

Foliage green w/ se black blade would have my attention for sure!!

Ooohhhhh daamnnn.... DLC Dodo! :D

Maybe with a colored ceramic ball bearing. Look like an eyeball. Nah, maybe that's going too far. :p
Going back to Caly.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've heard something about the locking system on certain Dodo models and in particular it was one of the Sprint Runs that I heard about it. But the one I have as a user is out of the original 2003-2004 era and I've had great luck with it. I use a dry lube on the ball bearing lock on my blue PE Dodo and I've never had any malfunction at all. I had never heard of any of the DODO models from that time period giving any trouble at all from what I can remember.

I believe the Poliwog model has a similar locking system and I've never heard any problems from that model either.

Another great attribute the Dodo has going for it is blade length. There are a lot of states and municipalities that have extremely strict blade length limit laws. The blade on the DODO is so short in relative speaking terms I'm sure you're legal to carry it anywhere in the continental USA. And that knife does as well as many knives twice it's size.
Donut

Post by Donut »

The orange ones seem to come up often enough on BST.

I'd love to see one in some sort of Carpenter Steel.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

I love the Dodo, would really like to see it in an other steel!!
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

I personally would love a gray CPM Cru-Wear or a foliage green CPM-D2 Dodo.
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

Well, M390 or CTS 204P would be my first thoughts but Cru-Wear sounds good too. Some steel I'd feel rather bends that gorgeous tip rather than a brittle one.
S30V feels like a risk when I open cardboard boxes that could contain staples while I feel confident using a H1 knife with a similar tip.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I brought up the idea of a Dodo w/ a tougher steel in another thread recently, and bh49 brought up a good point about the fact it would be much harder to sharpen with the S-curve blade, which is true.

I've never felt any risk with my S30V Dodo though... not like it has the tip of a Civilian or original Matriarch.
Going back to Caly.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Feel free to correct me, but I wasn't under the impression that toughness had a direct effect on grindability.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

tvenuto wrote:Feel free to correct me, but I wasn't under the impression that toughness had a direct effect on grindability.

Were you asking me, or just in general?

I just commented in another thread that it may have been slick if they had done a Dodo with peel ply and S90V like the Yojimbo, and got reply that it would be much tougher to sharpen. I do personally have a bit harder time sharpening recurve to begin with (sharpening master I am not!), so I just agreed with the point.
Going back to Caly.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

True enough, I've always thought the Dodo was a "sleeper model" and probably just too far ahead of its time. I was fortunate to get the Orange Dodo thanks to Ted, but I had a heck of a time finding one previously.

Not to derail the thread here, but wouldn't it be great to see a Sprint Poliwog? :D