Letting a Grail Knife Go. Am I a Collector or a User?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rwb1500

Letting a Grail Knife Go. Am I a Collector or a User?

Post by Rwb1500 »

It all started when I bought my first Delica. I thought "Wow, now this is a perfect knife. Not too big, not too small, perfect blade geometry for my uses." My FRN Delica was soon forgotten when I learned of the discontinued foliage green G10 Delica. "I have to have one", I thought, and I made it happen. The perfect combination of the the perfect features. However the knife's collectability and price point really kept me from carrying it so I traded it off for something else. A few months later I realized I missed it and tracked down another. I'm fairly sure I've only carried this one once or twice and it has sat for a year or two.

I've always considered myself a user, not really a collector, so when the opportunity to sell the G10 Delica came up I gave it serious consideration, mostly because I need money and I literally never carry it. Still, such a fine knife is hard to let go, even if I don't ever use it.

Anyone else ever have a similar situation?
Holland

Re: Letting a Grail Knife Go. Am I a Collector or a User?

Post by Holland »

I used to, but now I get a lot more joy using it and letting it develop character. If you are worried about it, buy another one to leave in the safe. Most of the time when I do this I end up selling the safe queen eventually and continuing to love my user
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Holland wrote:I used to, but now I get a lot more joy using it and letting it develop character. If you are worried about it, buy another one to leave in the safe. Most of the time when I do this I end up selling the safe queen eventually and continuing to love my user

That's an interesting way to look at it, but I'd never be able to justify buying doubles of knives just to use one.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Yes. For the longest time, a carbon fiber Stretch (ZDP-189 blade) was always my grail knife. The Stretch was my favorite knife, and that certain rare configuration with CF and a steel I loved always called my name. Well eventually, I had an opportunity to own a NIB one. I loved it. I never carried it however. A few months later, I had an opportunity to own a lightly used CF Stretch, which I jumped on. It was the perfect setup. One grail knife to use, one to keep pristine. A few months later, they both got sold.

Although I regret doing so, I guess I had just flown to close to the sun. By the time I got my grail, I had owned and handled knives many times more expensive and higher quality. Once I had two in my hand, some of the allure wore off. I sincerely miss the Stretches, but once the hunt was finally over, what I was left with was just some more Spydercos.
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

Never sell any of mine...its just setting yourself up for heartache later...
Came across my two sprint manix foliage green from 2008, 100% nib. Have the receipt and everything. I could totally sell them for profit, but I just won't...can't recall if it was 1200 or 600 made?
I usually buy Spydercos in twos often, depending, of course on my gut feeling whether its going to be rare or not.
Last edited by D-Roc on Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I have always been a user of knives going back 35 years or so. I still have my Buck 110 I got in 5th grade. It was a big deal to have that knife as a kid and I still treasure it. It is the age old debate user vs collector. Everyone here is a user of knives. But a collector? If you do not use it and you need the money for something important than by all means sell it. I have sold many different large collections of knives over the years to pay for all sorts of stuff I needed. I collected Mad Dog knives for a while and recently sold my entire collection except for 2 knives to pay for a Mcintosh Stereo amp. I find that I enjoy good music far more than a bunch of knives sitting in a case.

Still, I am a collector by nature and will be busy building up a new collection of knives in the years to come maybe only to sell it when I am bored. I tend to think the hunt is more fun than the final result. I like to search for the knives, get them and then over the years I tend to lose interest. I enjoyed getting them, learning about them, but maybe not so much storing them. That is just me. Everyone is different.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Holland wrote:I get a lot more joy using it and letting it develop character.

Yep, I'm at a point where I totally agree.
Much more joy can be had through memorable experience with it rather than hiding in some cache somewhere as an irrelevant object not performing the task it was designed and manufactured to do.
I think it to be more regrettable to own some object for decades and not even know what it's like to use, rather than regret selling or trading. Atleast that's my opinion.

And selling due to not needing is completely different than reselling for profit.

I can understand the loss of desire for something as well, although I do still use and carry my Stretch CF!
But, that is apparently the big problem that creates worry; will you desire it more later at another time??
Sentimental attachment can also create some blurry lines that may be hard to define... but sentimental value can also be easily confused with simple hoarding.

Same aspect I take to some of my other interests in vintage cycling, motorcycles, and automobiles, etc. I'd never own a nice car or motorcycle and hide it away forever under some cover and never start it up or operate it for fear of wear and tear (besides in salty winter!!).
Would no doubt have HUGE regrets if I reached my golden years, or worse yet become ill or injured, then look back and be like, damnn, why didn't I drive that when I could have!?
Same with a knife. It's not going to do me any more good in 30 years than it can right now presently.
Going back to Caly.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This is why I immediately use the heck out of any grail I get. That way it's worth less and I'm less tempted to sell it.
Rare Blade

Post by Rare Blade »

I consider myself a user not a "collector". I only have one knife (out of 8) that i refuse to use but I will own it forever, my Ti Lum tanto, I do have a user sprint in gray G10, it is my favourite and is much lighter than the Ti version.

bh49

Post by bh49 »

You are collector
Tdhurl1103

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

I collect knives to use. I have no sprints, no numbered, no limited editions. Having said that, I do have a few knives that are doubles. With the intent to use one day. I'm not sure if I have identified any "grail" for me. I would like a small Sebenza, but the crux of this is, I have the money and they are easy to get, I just would rather get 3 or four other knives for the same cost, therefore it is not a grail.

I would like a PM1, I guess maybe this would be a grail as they are no longer made.
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

Para 3, Gayle Bradley 1, Double Bevel, Paramilitary 2, Paramilitary 2 S110V, Sage 1, Persistence
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Tdhurl1103 wrote:I collect knives to use. I have no sprints, no numbered, no limited editions. Having said that, I do have a few knives that are doubles. With the intent to use one day. I'm not sure if I have identified any "grail" for me. I would like a small Sebenza, but the crux of this is, I have the money and they are easy to get, I just would rather get 3 or four other knives for the same cost, therefore it is not a grail.

I would like a PM1, I guess maybe this would be a grail as they are no longer made.

Having no sprints doesn't necessarily mean collector or not, in my opinion. Just may simply mean you can't justify needing the alternative steel or handle. There are many sprints that I love as regular users, in fact most of my favorite carry rotation are from sprint runs, including a SB Caly and Lava G10 Sprint, just for example.
Going back to Caly.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Ha, I'm not sure how to answer your initial question. You definitely have one of the characteristics of a User: having a seldom-used knife irks you in some non-specific way. I also don't consider myself a collector, but rather someone who has a collection of users. Obviously I possess far more knives than practically necessary, but I do actually use all of them when the need/desire arises.

As to your specific situation, I can actually relate. That is, the Delica 4 also started my spydie obsession, and I immediately went out looking for more Delicas to snag. I was able to find the same G10 Delica, and also thought it would be my "ideal" Delica. But when I got it in hand, something just didn't click. Some designs, I think, are just better in FRN, and I count the Delica is on of them. The good news is there's another G10 delica coming out, and you can hop on that one and decide if it's any better in use. However, I think your opinions on the Delica 4 vs G10 Delica sprint say more about those two knives than your general knife-buying and knife-using proclivities.

I've always been a bit fuzzy on what exactly people mean by a "grail." I would think a grail knife combines a series of features that the person in question finds ideal. That is, they love the size/ergos of the milli, but prefer a compression lock, and really love XHP steel. Thus, a comp lock millie in XHP would be their grail, as it would garner the most use. However, this doesn't seem to be what people really mean by "grail." Often their grail seems to be a highly regarded past production or sprint knife that's relatively hard to come by. Often I think the grailiest thing about a grail knife is that the person doesn't have it and lusts after it. So in that way, I can see ending up being disappointed by the acquisition of a grail. It could never live up to the built up anticipation, so it seems disappointing once acquired.

I for one, don't think I'll ever find my "grail," but that's a good thing in my book. I'll use one design and love it, but put it down for another that I love no less, just differently. I would think finding your grail would be bitter sweet, actually. It's great that you've found a knife that satisfies all of your knife-using criteria, but it's sad because then all other knives will seem superfluous or flawed.

"When Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer."
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

tvenuto wrote: Often I think the grailiest thing about a grail knife is that the person doesn't have it and lusts after it. So in that way, I can see ending up being disappointed by the acquisition of a grail. It could never live up to the built up anticipation, so it seems disappointing once acquired.
They never do, do they...
It's true, the thrill of the hunt is so much more pleasurable than finally getting your hands on what you've chased tirelessly for months or years, refreshing classified forums all night, setting up ebay alerts, and driving to pawn shops in areas that really make you second guess what you're doing with your life. It's a game, and I enjoy every bit of it. And once I reach the climax, opening that box for the first time, and my brain floods enough dopamine to start coming out of my ears, I do what I feel most of us do: roll over, take a nap, eat a sandwich, and start looking for the next "grail". It's a vicious cycle, and I have no desire to break it. I enjoy the chase, and wanting something that fate has tried so long to deny me is just part of my nature. It just feels...so...good....and then it's over.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I guess I've always been about "HALF & HALF" when considering myself either a "user" or "collector". Back in the Spyderville heydays of 2004 to 2007 when this town really rocked and I was really getting rooted as being a full blown Spyder-Addict then probably about 2/3rds of everything I owned was a collector piece.

But I kind of have drifted to where "tvenuto" and a couple of the other guys have landed and that is more or less being a collector of "users'. Because seriously how many Spyderheads have a user blue handled, PE, VG-10 Spyderhawk? Or a C-46 Lum Tanto folder user? or one of the big boys I'm carrying today is my C-111 user Captain. In the way of blades there isn't too much holy to me anymore.

Now I just got a NIB VG-10 full Spyderedged JD Smith model and I more or less assured the guy I got it from that it was going to be a stalwart user>> well so far it's being treated as though it's very sacred :cool: OH I'll eventually use it but there are some Spyders that simply borderline on being works of art. But I guess it's fair to say that I'm becoming a little more pragmatic as time goes on.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Misprint sorry
Last edited by JD Spydo on Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

misprint sorry
Last edited by JD Spydo on Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

tvenuto wrote:
[...]

You definitely have one of the characteristics of a User: having a seldom-used knife irks you in some non-specific way. I also don't consider myself a collector, but rather someone who has a collection of users. Obviously I possess far more knives than practically necessary, but I do actually use all of them when the need/desire arises.
Very accurate description Tvenuto ! So it seems like I am also a "collector of users". :)

I cannot stand to have unused knives in the drawer, and if they do not get used, or do not fill some kind of active backup role, they are sold off. Unfortunately I cannot afford to have money locked up in NIB safe queens.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpeedHoles wrote:
Tdhurl1103 wrote:I collect knives to use. I have no sprints, no numbered, no limited editions. Having said that, I do have a few knives that are doubles. With the intent to use one day. I'm not sure if I have identified any "grail" for me. I would like a small Sebenza, but the crux of this is, I have the money and they are easy to get, I just would rather get 3 or four other knives for the same cost, therefore it is not a grail.

There are many sprints that I love as regular users, in fact most of my favorite carry rotation are from sprint runs
You could say the same for me as well>> one of my very favorite users that I currently use a lot is my Sprint C-60 Ayoob with the new G-10 handle. The Sprint Ayoob C-60 is such an improvenment over the original Ayoob that had a almite handle. The original was even one of my all time favorite Spyders but when the Sprint Ayoob came out many of my prayers were answered. I just regret that they didn't offer the Sprint Ayoob in Spyderedge as they did with the original, early 2000s version.

I also have a Sprint XHP Military that I dearly love as well. I don't use it much but it is a pleasure to use when the occasion arises. It doesn't matter to me whether it's a main line up standard, plain jane version or a beefed up, newly revamped Sprint>> if I like it I will use it period.
MCM

Post by MCM »

Its like the old saying. "I collect knives and my knives collect dust".
Keep telling myself I am going to let go a hundred or so knives.
Then it just seems like a Big hassle, and I put it off. LOL LOL
I let a few go here and there, but need to get serious one of these days.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......