Spyderco Trivia Game

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GoldenSpydie

Spyderco Trivia Game

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Read through the archives, run some searches, and enjoy a fun game of trivia with fellow Spyder fans! :D

Here's how it works:

1. A player posts a trivia question (must be Spyderco, Glesser, or blade steel related), such as "What was Spyderco's first knife?"
2. Anyone else that knows the answer can post it in this thread. For example, the answer to the above question would be: "C01 Worker."

3. Don't post a new question until the most recent question has been answered. This is to avoid a pileup of questions without answers.
4. If someone answers incorrectly, please just say "nope" or "sorry, but no." This is to let others know that the question is still open.
5. If no one can come up with the correct answer within 24 hours, the poster who presented the challenge should reveal the answer. Anyone can post a new question at this time. If the person that posted the question is unavailable, that is ok, but it would be great to know the answer so we all can learn.

I think that this will be a cool way to share and learn interesting facts about Spyderco. Anything interesting and relevant is permitted, but insanely difficult questions are not what we are aiming for. To quote GSO in the "See your Spyderco and Raise you Another" thread: remember--fun is had when the thread is moving, not when it is stuck.

To start out, I will present this question, which should be pretty easy for many of you:

"What was Sal's background before making knives?" Hint: It resulted in the creation of the Totem.

GO! :spyder:
RadioactiveSpyder

Re: Spyderco Trivia Game

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Easy, lumberjack. ;). I believe Sal may be related to Paul Bunyon, his giant axe may or may not have had a Spyderhole. :D

(Cool idea, GS! Cheers, RS :))
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
simyo

Post by simyo »

Traveling salesman
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Great idea for a thread. Is the answer travelling to trade shows selling the sharp maker?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

The Portable Hand was Sal's first creation...and it looked like a spider/spyder... :)
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

It was the jewelers hand, with little clips to hold small items and it did look like a spider I saw a picture of it.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Are most, if not all the answers in the THE SPYDERCO STORY BOOK by Kenneth Delavigne? Because there is a ton of Spyder-Trivia in that great old book. Or are there any questions related to stuff we've talked about here on the Forum in the past few years?

I would like to participate but I need to know more about the rules of the game???
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Simyo wins this one. Philosophy was the answer I had in mind, but I will accept "salesman" as well, because it is one of many correct answers.

As we have seen, there are many correct answers to this question. ;) And see--I already learned something--I never knew about the Portable Hand! Thanks Stuart and opusxpn!

JD: The questions are just random fun facts that anyone can come up with. It doesn't really matter where you find the answer--the book, Spydiewiki, SpydercoSource, the Forum archives, Spyderco literature like calendars/catalogs, or personal knowledge are all acceptable ways to get an answer. So in other words, yes, The Spyderco Story is a fine resource for trivia. I wish I had one. :)

Anyone can post a new question, but I'll put up one to keep it going:

"What was the first Spyderco to be made in the USA?" This one is really easy.

And here is a very difficult bonus question. Sal learned to make linerlocks using the ball detent before producing the knife in the first question.

"Where did Sal learn to make linerlocks with the ball detent?" It is in the archives.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

GS,
I am not sure that you question is completely clear.
Before Sal(Spyderco) started to selling knives, the company was selling sharpening stones including ancestor of Sharpmaker. And yes, before that Sal was a salesman.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

bh49 wrote:GS,
I am not sure that you question is completely clear.
Before Sal(Spyderco) started to selling knives, the company was selling sharpening stones including ancestor of Sharpmaker. And yes, before that Sal was a salesman.
Agreed. From now on we'll try to use questions with only one answer--see above question about which knife was made in the USA first.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

C15 - Bob Terzuola
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Correct!

BH49 wins this one. The difficult bonus question is still available if anyone thinks they know the answer. ;)

New trivia question:

"When it was first conceived over 25 years ago, the C06 Tusk was known as the ____."

BTW, please feel free to throw out your own trivia question when you answer an existing question. :)
Invective

Post by Invective »

GoldenSpydie wrote: "When it was first conceived over 25 years ago, the C06 Tusk was known as the ____."
Pretty sure it was the Yachtsman but I'm not 100% on that
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

That is correct--Invective wins this round.

Now here is a good one:

"What is the name of the ceramic prybar/dive tool produced by Spyderco?"
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Hey GS, great idea! Just a suggestion but maybe have the person who answered the question ask the next one. That might keep it rolling and save you from having to ask all the question in an attempt to keep it moving along.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

double post... :confused:
Last edited by GoldenSpydie on Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Hey GS, great idea! Just a suggestion but maybe have the person who answered the question ask the next one. That might keep it rolling and save you from having to ask all the question in an attempt to keep it moving along.
Thanks! I agree with your suggestion, and that was actually my original intent--maybe I should have been more clear. :o

So from now on, as BFK said, if you answer a question correctly, please provide a new trivia question. :) :spyder:

And the question "What is the name of the ceramic prybar/dive tool produced by Spyderco?" is still open to answers. This one shouldn't be that hard--it's in the Spyderco Story and many places on the internet.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Sorry, changed my mind...
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

GoldenSpydie wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:Hey GS, great idea! Just a suggestion but maybe have the person who answered the question ask the next one. That might keep it rolling and save you from having to ask all the question in an attempt to keep it moving along.
Thanks! I agree with your suggestion, and that was actually my original intent--maybe I should have been more clear. :o

So from now on, as BFK said, if you answer a question correctly, please provide a new trivia question. :) :spyder:

And the question "What is the name of the ceramic prybar/dive tool produced by Spyderco?" is still open to answers. This one shouldn't be that hard--it's in the Spyderco Story and many places on the internet.
Would that be the Dive Probe?
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

SpyderNut wrote:Would that be the Dive Probe?
Close enough. I was looking for "TTZ Probe," but it was one of the three Dive Probes, so for the sake of moving along we'll go with it. The TTZ probe was a ceramic prybar made in very limited quantities. Here is a thread about it: http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... 3&p=845509

SpyderNut or anyone else that has answered--please put up a question. It will be interesting to see what you consider "Spyderco Trivia."