Fake or not?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vanka

Fake or not?

Post by vanka »

Hello everybody! So as you see i'm a newbie here so forgive my general nonsense every now and then. So recently a friend of mine gifted me a new Manix 2 XL when he returned from US trip. It's my first :spyder: and i'm in love with it. I'm in general carpentry, wood working and custom furniture making so my knife sees a good amounts of work (yeah, i know that there's a right tools for the job i do, but i like to use my knife here and there). And a questions arose in the last two weeks. I've read that the S30V is a very good steel and a lot of people have a hard time sharpening their knives. The problem is - i didn't find it very hard to sharp my knife. Actually it was a breeze. Bear in mind i sharpen my chisels and specialized working knives on daily basis using stones and sandpaper on a glass. So a questions began to pop up - is it a real Spyderco or it is a quality knock-off? There's an option to ask my friend to show me the receipt of purchase, but it would be kind of rude considering it is a gift. Here's a link of some pics i took with my phone.

http://s987.photobucket.com/user/vanshe ... t=3&page=1
Last edited by vanka on Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackknifeh

Re: Fake or not?

Post by jackknifeh »

I'd venture to say S30V is only difficult to sharpen by people who have not sharpened higher quality steels before. Or very beginners. Anyone sharpening chisels and wood working tools is plenty skilled enough to sharpen S30V. I'm sure your knife is genuine. A picture would make it much easier though but I'm sure you're ok. I couldn't open your link.

Jack
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I forgot to say "welcome to the forum". So, welcome to the forum. :)

I copied and pasted your link into the address of another browser tab and found the pictures. You look good to go to me. I opened one picture and then left clicked one of the "share links" once. I clicked the bottom one labeled IMG. I am now pasting what was copied into this post and the picture will be visible right here.

See? Wasn't that easy. :D

Great knife BTW.

Jack
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

It's unfortunate that you don't live here in the USA because if you did I would recommend that you send the knife to Spyderco to have them authenticate it. Because at one time I had a scenerio happen to me that just seemed to be too good to be true>> because I came into two Titanium Peter Herbst models ( one PE & one CE) and I sent them to Spyderco to make absolutely sure they were the real deal and they were fortunately.

I am hearing of fakes looking really good lately so you might ask who you got it from as to where they obtained it. If they got it from a reputable knife dealer then I'm fairly sure you're all right. I've also heard that the blade steel in many of these counterfeit models is really horrible and dulls very quickly. From what you're saying I would almost bet you got a real one.

But I would do some checking if I were you just to make sure. Because it would be the more popular models like the one you have that would be faked or counterfeited.
vanka

Post by vanka »

Thanks a lot. Maybe you're right - sharpening different kind of tools daily gives a lot of experience. My chisels are not the sharpest, but if they bite my fingernail gently - they're good enough for me. So i guess that makes me a proud owner of my first Spyderco knife.
Just edited my link - i think it is visible now.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

vanka wrote:Thanks a lot. Maybe you're right - sharpening different kind of tools daily gives a lot of experience. My chisels are not the sharpest, but if they bite my fingernail gently - they're good enough for me. So i guess that makes me a proud owner of my first Spyderco knife.
Just edited my link - i think it is visible now.
And I have no doubt that you work with high quality wood working tools so therefore you know good steel when you work with it. And if the steel on the Spyderco folder holds up similar to your woodworking tools you're probably all right.

Oh and welcome to the Forum by the way :) You won't be satisified with just one Spyder either :rolleyes: So make your next one a Hawkbill model>> you'll find it very handy for working with wood I can assure you ;)
endgame

Post by endgame »

100% real
vanka

Post by vanka »

Thanks for taking the time to read for my concerns. I feel very optimistic now that i know someone with experience in the knives paid attention. It's my very first spyderco, and i don't know any of my friends that have manix 2 xl, so i cannot compare my knife with others. And i'm absolutely sure that is a start of a spydermania. Thanks for the welcome. Now i'll keep on reading in the forum and educate myself in this vast spyderco world.
P.s. My apologize if my grammar or phrasing is not correct, but english is not my first language.