Nishijin R - Any love, pics, or ideas about it & other R's?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DougC-3

Nishijin R - Any love, pics, or ideas about it & other R's?

Post by DougC-3 »

I just got a nishijin R model last week and really like it. I think this is a great, unsung and neglected knife. Perhaps its "different" siblings (the two earlier and unconventional R models) make people consider it in a different light. It has just a hair under a 3.5 inch blade, fitting halfway between the Delica and Endura. The blade is more scaled up from the Delica and is actually broader than that of the Endura, which I much favor (call it an aesthetic rather than practical preference if you like ;) ) It has all the good qualities of both, is a better, more useful size than either for general EDC use (for me anyway) and has a choil! What's not to love? :)

I think this knife deserves a G-10 production run. In nishijin, it's about an ounce lighter than the G-10 Manix2 and 2mm thinner than the PM2. It carries very nicely, and discretely with a deep carry clip, and is a great "one size cuts all" knife (to coin a phrase :)). I would also like to see it in the FRN production and sprint run series :p

Anybody have any ideas or photos of this knife or its siblings? Here are a few I took for Delica/Endura comparison and a valentines day shot I took for the weekly contest:

K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
tvenuto

Re: Nishijin R - Any love, pics, or ideas about it & other R

Post by tvenuto »

Love love love the R! I bought the Nishijin sprint mainly because I was butt-hurt over missing the first run of M390 PM2s, and I was intrigued by the handle material. I was a little "meh" when it came in. I mean the handle material was cool, but there was some chipping around the screw holes and some of the handle chamfering was uneven. I actually thought the "pie-like" blade looked a bit strange too. However, when I actually gave it some use, it just clicked.

After some use, I finally saw the R for what it was (just like you said): an up-sized Delica with a choil. I love the Delica, and I love well-executed choils! This was a knife for me! The blade that at first seemed silly looking now had the beauty of utility: just enough belly, but not too much. (Now, as a brief aside, I feel the need to state that I in no way support the idea that the Delica needs a choil. But this knife, being larger, benefits from the two grip options.)

My love of the R actually caused me to buy the Stretch. After hearing all of the universal praise, I had to see what all the hubbub was about, and...I was totally underwhelmed. The ergos felt way off compared to the locked-in R. Now I know this is mainly personal preference, but I really like the pinched neck and coarse gear-like jimping of the R. It really plays perfectly with the smooth scales, and those scales have the benefit of an easy draw from the pocket.

So I say, yes, bring on any and all R variations. I think that it's too close to the Stretch (especially the new one with the deeper choil) to ever see in FRN. However, I actually think this is one of those knives that just really doesn't scream for grippy scales. As much as I love my peel-ply, I'd be interested to see this one in smooth G10 or even titanium or aluminum, reminiscent of the original. I will post pics of my Nishijin R, and his skeletonized (and SE) cousin. Good post, glad to see other R lovers out there!
Bruceter

Post by Bruceter »

That doesn't have enough holes in it. :p

Bruceter
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

I love the Nishijin R myself and consider it to be something of a backlock Manix 2 sized blade (of slightly different shape) but with a tighter choil and beautifully black glass fiber scales.

This is kind of a Manix 2 sized gents folder and complements my Nishijin Dragonfly perfectly. I bought one for my nephew as a wedding present.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

tvenuto wrote:Love love love the R! I bought the Nishijin sprint mainly because I was butt-hurt over missing the first run of M390 PM2s, and I was intrigued by the handle material. I was a little "meh" when it came in. I mean the handle material was cool, but there was some chipping around the screw holes and some of the handle chamfering was uneven. I actually thought the "pie-like" blade looked a bit strange too. However, when I actually gave it some use, it just clicked.

After some use, I finally saw the R for what it was (just like you said): an up-sized Delica with a choil. I love the Delica, and I love well-executed choils! This was a knife for me! The blade that at first seemed silly looking now had the beauty of utility: just enough belly, but not too much. (Now, as a brief aside, I feel the need to state that I in no way support the idea that the Delica needs a choil. But this knife, being larger, benefits from the two grip options.)

My love of the R actually caused me to buy the Stretch. After hearing all of the universal praise, I had to see what all the hubbub was about, and...I was totally underwhelmed. The ergos felt way off compared to the locked-in R. Now I know this is mainly personal preference, but I really like the pinched neck and coarse gear-like jimping of the R. It really plays perfectly with the smooth scales, and those scales have the benefit of an easy draw from the pocket.

So I say, yes, bring on any and all R variations. I think that it's too close to the Stretch (especially the new one with the deeper choil) to ever see in FRN. However, I actually think this is one of those knives that just really doesn't scream for grippy scales. As much as I love my peel-ply, I'd be interested to see this one in smooth G10 or even titanium or aluminum, reminiscent of the original. I will post pics of my Nishijin R, and his skeletonized (and SE) cousin. Good post, glad to see other R lovers out there!

Thanks, I'll have to admit that once when I was asking for something between the Endura and Delica with the Delica's blade shape, you said I was describing the R -- and that was what got me interested in it. I had the same experience as you with the current FRN Stretch. The R's ergos are way better for me. The current Stretch never has felt quite right for me, but I'm also expecting the new one to be a better fit.

And after my slightly slick Ti-Damascus Delica, which I'm crazy about by the way, I was expecting the Nishijin to feel more slick, but, as you say, the grip is totally secure because of the good design. I've never once felt that it might slip or fall out of my hand. I had been wanting to get a Cricket or Spin to try out nishigin, and when I saw a good deal on this knife I jumped at it. I don't think it needs G-10 for a better grip. I was just thinking it would have a chance of becoming a more popular knife if it came out in a slightly cheaper G-10 model. I think this nishigin model carries better in pocket than the Stretch because it's a couple of millimeters thinner, and the smooth scales make it slide in and out easier. I'd like to see another sprint run R in any kind of scales, smooth or peel ply.

If I were going to make any change, I might give the blade a very tiny bit more belly toward the tip to defeat the slightly triangular look, but like you say, it's totally practical the way it is, and the more I use it, the more I like the blade shape.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

ManixFan wrote:I love the Nishijin R myself and consider it to be something of a backlock Manix 2 sized blade (of slightly different shape) but with a tighter choil and beautifully black glass fiber scales.

This is kind of a Manix 2 sized gents folder and complements my Nishijin Dragonfly perfectly. I bought one for my nephew as a wedding present.
I thought of the Manix2 comparison too, and I suppose, in a way, that's the way I'll be using it, though I never thought of myself as a gent. This doesn't mean I'll have to wear a suit does it ;) :D
timlara

Post by timlara »

I love my Gray R2 with Almite handles. Definitely one of my all time favorites. Just a great EDC size and strikes a good balance between having a classic and functional shape yet still being a bit unusual/interesting looking. Somewhere in another thread I told the story of how I tragically lost my first R2 while out on a date with my girlfriend (now wife) and she hunted down a replacement and surprised me with it later...so it's also a sentimental favorite for me. :)

Too tired/lazy to take a picture at the moment, but here's the catalog page as a reference for anybody who hasn't seen it:

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=191" target="_blank
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I love my R and would welcome any sprint run.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

ImageImageImageImage
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

With a Para2

One on top of the other.

ImageImage
-Darby
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

These pictures remind me that perhaps the only change I'd make to the R is the size of the opening hole, which appears perfectly able to be enlarged without any drawbacks.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Thanks for the original R pic, Bruceter -- it's definitely the hole-iest knife I've ever seen :eek: One more way to lighten a knife and exercise your laser ;) ... and, Timlara, for the R2 story and link.

Thanks for all the great pics, Darby. I love the all the ones with the EDC pair. I've gotta get a nishijin Cricket or Spin to pair with mine and for a money & receipts clip. The comparison pictures are interesting. I scrolled right by the stacked knife shots the first time, thinking they were one knife shots :)
tvenuto wrote:These pictures remind me that perhaps the only change I'd make to the R is the size of the opening hole, which appears perfectly able to be enlarged without any drawbacks.
I'd go along with that. There's definitely room for it.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

The R is one of my top-favorite EDC knives, I carry one often - especially when I want to carry some teeth paired with a slick PE knife like the Stretch or Chinese Folder. The ergos of the R work really well for me.

My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

I was wondering too, why we do not see much of this Nishijin R ... :confused:

My reason, not buying it, or hesitate, is that it's a VG10, and for that price and with Nishijin, I would have like to see ZDP-189 or Superblue. Or a cheaper price with VG10 even with Nishijin... (I really like VG10 so do not understand something different :D )

A new R in G10 & VG10 would be nice ! Or another steel :rolleyes: :cool:
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
bearfacedkiller

tvenuto wrote:These pictures remind me that perhaps the only change I'd make to the R is the size of the opening hole, which appears perfectly able to be enlarged without any drawbacks.
I would get rid of the rounded off delica4 style tip they put on this one too. Other than that I love it and would love another sprint run. It is excellent edc for me.
-Darby