2015 Oregon Knife Show, April 11-12, Eugene

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderwa

Re: 2015 Oregon Knife Show, April 11-12, Eugene

Post by spyderwa »

I plan on attending and will bring a bunch of older Spydercos for show and tell. I will be with the Double Eagle table.

Travel Safe, Spyderwa

Rare and Unusual Spyderco Website http://www.angelfire.com/trek/spyderwa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

So how was it? Can those that attending share some stories?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

At the last minute (literally), work and family obligations pulled me out of my packed car (my dog in her kennel in the back) and kept me home this weekend.

I am pretty crushed right now, I'd been looking forward to this for months. SolidState's last comment in the other thread about Sal and what he brought to the show was a killer :(
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

That's brutal man. So sorry to hear that. Maybe next year? I thought for a little while that I might be able to pack up the wife and kids on a road trip to Oregon, but we simply couldn't afford it so I had to let that idea die weeks ago. It didn't even occur to me that there would be knives available for sale there (dummy), I was going purely to see the Spyderco booth, hopefully say hi to Sal and shake his hand. Next year...
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
RadioactiveSpyder

Yup, there's always next year... :)

Anyone else have a report?
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
remnar

Post by remnar »

I just got home after driving about 4.5 hours. Here's the one show related photo that I took in my hotel room last night. Sorry, I didn't take any photos at the show.

I need a nap now!
RadioactiveSpyder

So besides the coffee Remnar, how did you like the show? How was the Spydie booth? Details, man, details!! :)
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:At the last minute (literally), work and family obligations pulled me out of my packed car (my dog in her kennel in the back) and kept me home this weekend.

I am pretty crushed right now, I'd been looking forward to this for months. SolidState's last comment in the other thread about Sal and what he brought to the show was a killer :(
Sorry to hear this, I know you were really looking forward to attending. Hopefully next year you'll make it there or the Amsterdam meet (I see Norwegian airlines are doing some cheap transatlantic flights these days :p)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I'm sorry for being part of your heartbreak.

The table was packed with great stuff. I don't think they should call it a knife show as much as a knife feel. I will soon own a Szabohawk.

There is a knife that is a cross between a dodo and a poliwog called the q-ball that is phenomenal. Ed has a Master Gardener that is about as cool as a hawkbill can be. It has various grips. There wasn't as much of an emphasis on locks this year, it was generally a lot of rather large pieces.
RadioactiveSpyder

Hi SS, no worries! I was just very sad to have missed the whole thing. I'm very excited you got such a treasure for such a good price! The S90V PM2 is the only one that eludes me in my collection, since I don't have a spare $500-$600 laying around! Cheers, Radioactive :)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

SolidState wrote:I'm sorry for being part of your heartbreak.

The table was packed with great stuff. I don't think they should call it a knife show as much as a knife feel. I will soon own a Szabohawk.

There is a knife that is a cross between a dodo and a poliwog called the q-ball that is phenomenal. Ed has a Master Gardener that is about as cool as a hawkbill can be. It has various grips. There wasn't as much of an emphasis on locks this year, it was generally a lot of rather large pieces.
Oh man, Tvenuto mentioned the Q-Ball in his A'dam meet thread and I was very excited indeed. Anything else you can mention about it? Same size as the Dodo? Color, steel, etc. I guess it is a long way from release..

Thanks!

@liquid_cobra
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Liquid Cobra wrote: Oh man, Tvenuto mentioned the Q-Ball in his A'dam meet thread and I was very excited indeed. Anything else you can mention about it? Same size as the Dodo? Color, steel, etc. I guess it is a long way from release..
Thanks!
It was a little smaller than the Poliwog in closed width. The handle now covers the entirety of the tang when the knife is closed. It was about a 2.25-2.5" edged wharnie. I think the Q-ball comes from the fact that it is an uncaged, ceramic ball bearing lock. All in all, think the tang arrangement of the dodo with the Poliwog ergos when open. It was signature Eric, but more refined than previous designs and slimmer in the pocket. I was really impressed, and I'm weird and picky about this kind of thing. The blade to handle ratio was way better than the Dodo. It has very similar lines about the ricasso.

I hope this helps.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

SolidState wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote: Oh man, Tvenuto mentioned the Q-Ball in his A'dam meet thread and I was very excited indeed. Anything else you can mention about it? Same size as the Dodo? Color, steel, etc. I guess it is a long way from release..
Thanks!
It was a little smaller than the Poliwog in closed width. The handle now covers the entirety of the tang when the knife is closed. It was about a 2.25-2.5" edged wharnie. I think the Q-ball comes from the fact that it is an uncaged, ceramic ball bearing lock. All in all, think the tang arrangement of the dodo with the Poliwog ergos when open. It was signature Eric, but more refined than previous designs and slimmer in the pocket. I was really impressed, and I'm weird and picky about this kind of thing. The blade to handle ratio was way better than the Dodo. It has very similar lines about the ricasso.

I hope this helps.
That does help. :) Thanks for the feedback. Do you recall what color/material for the handle?
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Ed Schempp wrote:Stuart, I having trouble posting pictures. If you private message me your email, I'll send you some pictures...Ed
Thanks Ed...
If you do not mind, I will host them in photobucket and show them in a new thread here in SF?
I will PM you my addie right now...
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

SpyderNut wrote: That does help. :) Thanks for the feedback. Do you recall what color/material for the handle?
It was G10 over liners. I can't remember if it was black or blue G-10, but I think I remember black.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Blue would be better ;)

@liquid_cobra
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

SolidState wrote:
SpyderNut wrote: That does help. :) Thanks for the feedback. Do you recall what color/material for the handle?
It was G10 over liners. I can't remember if it was black or blue G-10, but I think I remember black.
Thanks man. I agree--blue would be more attractive. :)