Safe to use Ballistol on the Dice and ball bearing washers?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
babtron

Safe to use Ballistol on the Dice and ball bearing washers?

Post by babtron »

Hey guys, I'm a big fan of Ballistol. I know it isn't safe to use on bronze washers, but how about the ball bearing washers on the Dice?
JD Spydo

Re: Safe to use Ballistol on the Dice and ball bearing washe

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm a big fan of BALLISTOL myself and have been using it for years now. It's been the very best cleaner and rejuvenator of G-10 handles I've ever found and GOD knows I've tried a lot of different products on G-10 handles but I've never had nothing but good results using it on G-10 and FRN handles.

Now the question of this thread is if it's safe to use on a certain part of a blade mechanism??? Do keep in mind that BALLISTOL is a petroleum distillate and you want to be careful on what you use it on just like any other product. But I've used it on so many folders and fixed blades with nothing but positive results.

Personally on the ball bearing locks I've had better luck using dry lubricants like graphite, or teflon powder. Sentry Solutions has a great dry lubricant called "BP 2000" and I've had nothing but good luck using it. Keep us posted as to what you decide.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I have never heard anything about not using it on bronze washers. I am sure I have used on knives with phosphor bronze washers many times.
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

araneae wrote:I have never heard anything about not using it on bronze washers. I am sure I have used on knives with phosphor bronze washers many times.
You shouldn't do that. Ballistol is pretty corrosive on copper alloys.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ignaz wrote:
araneae wrote:I have never heard anything about not using it on bronze washers. I am sure I have used on knives with phosphor bronze washers many times.
Wow!! I'm going to check into that one because you're the first person I've ever heard say anything about BALLISTOL having corrosive properties with any metal up till now. And I'm not disputing you I'm just saying that this is the first I've ever heard of that.

I've used BALLISTOL on many G-10 handled Spyders and never had any corrosion problem at all. It just seems to work magic on G-10 handles in particular.

I'm now even going to try to contact the company about that. I'll let you all know what I find out. There are pros and cons to just about any product you use and I'm going to find out for sure.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I did some googling:
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/sho ... nd-washers" target="_blank

I have been using it for years with no noticeable issues. I can't say anything I found would persuade me to abandon its use.
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

JD Spydo wrote:
Ignaz wrote:
Wow!! I'm going to check into that one because you're the first person I've ever heard say anything about BALLISTOL having corrosive properties with any metal up till now. And I'm not disputing you I'm just saying that this is the first I've ever heard of that.

I've used BALLISTOL on many G-10 handled Spyders and never had any corrosion problem at all. It just seems to work magic on G-10 handles in particular.

I'm now even going to try to contact the company about that. I'll let you all know what I find out. There are pros and cons to just about any product you use and I'm going to find out for sure.
Actually this is a well known fact. They even write it directly on their spray cans. I just checked it:"Buntmetalle können anlaufen". This means "Copper alloys(?) may tarnish".
Bronze washers can get rough from Ballistol but it works very well for linerless FRN knives.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I will certainly take what you said under advisement and look into it. But again I use the Ballistol more for rejuvenating and cleaning G-10 handles. If I ever find anything that will work as good as Ballistol on G-10 handles that doesn't have any corrosive properties I will certainly go with that product instead.

But hey that's why we have these threads is to compare notes and find out what is best. I've tried at least a half a dozen different cleaning products on G-10 handles and I've yet to find anything that will do as good as Ballistol up till now>> but I'm all ears and always looking for something better.

There has only been a couple of occasions that I have used Ballistol for any lubricative uses but I didnt' have any problems but on the other hand I don't recall using it on any non ferrous metals other than Titanium. But again I'm sure going to check it out.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Ignaz wrote:
Actually this is a well known fact. They even write it directly on their spray cans. I just checked it:"Buntmetalle können anlaufen". This means "Copper alloys(?) may tarnish".
Bronze washers can get rough from Ballistol but it works very well for linerless FRN knives.
The quote on BritishBlades said the company stated that it is safe to use on all washer types. I saw a lot of accusation that Ballistol is unsafe for washers, but no actual proof that it will corrode washers. If you have evidence, I would like to read it. The one youtube video had a fairly scientific review with pure copper being soaked in several ounces of Ballistol for weeks in the lab and it did degrade the copper, but that is a greatly exaggerated test. And again, it was pure copper, not phosphor bronze which is an alloy with around 95% Copper. And the quote means non-ferrous metals may tarnish.
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

araneae wrote:The quote on BritishBlades said the company stated that it is safe to use on all washer types. I saw a lot of accusation that Ballistol is unsafe for washers, but no actual proof that it will corrode washers. If you have evidence, I would like to read it.
I have experienced it myself. I once used some Ballistol on a folding knife with bronze washers and at first it worked fine. But after some time the blade action got extremely rough. So I took it apart and found out that the washers had become dark and even a bit green. After that I polished them and cleaned them with soap and alcohol which helped a lot. Since then I don't use any lubricant for most folders. If a knife isn't smooth it's mostly due to dirt or dust within the mechanism and not the lack of oil. However there are few cases where oil actually helps a lot.
araneae wrote:And the quote means non-ferrous metals may tarnish.
Do they write this on the cans in the US? Non-ferrous simply means there is no or almost no iron in it. This includes nobel metal amongst others. And those are definitely not affected by Ballistol. It's like saying "metals may tarnish".