Favorite EDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ankerson

Re: Favorite EDC

Post by Ankerson »

The one I always seem to go back to is the Military.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

MickM wrote:I'm still have trouble opening my Persistance with one hand despite my persistence in practicing! It just seems to be too big sideways for my thumb to swing it all the way out, maybe it's my old hand? I'm thinking of ordering a Delica 4 in British racing green thinking it might work better for me?
The distance from pivot to thumb hole is about the same on the Delica as the Persistence, and I don't really notice much difference in opening them. I really can't figure out how opening the Persistence could be difficult, unless you have a condition that limits your movement, or you're holding it in an unusual way.
:bug-red-white
All-R-Crazy

Post by All-R-Crazy »

In my rfp I carry either my delicas (( super blue, ffg blue, or kahr arms khaki) or salt1 se in my rbp is either my militay ( s90v, cts xhp) or a para2 (elmax or the all black s30v) and if I want a third knife I have SB dragonfly in my lfp
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

gbelleh wrote:
MickM wrote:I'm still have trouble opening my Persistance with one hand despite my persistence in practicing! It just seems to be too big sideways for my thumb to swing it all the way out, maybe it's my old hand? I'm thinking of ordering a Delica 4 in British racing green thinking it might work better for me?
The distance from pivot to thumb hole is about the same on the Delica as the Persistence, and I don't really notice much difference in opening them. I really can't figure out how opening the Persistence could be difficult, unless you have a condition that limits your movement, or you're holding it in an unusual way.

I was wondering as well... those are by no means difficult folders to open unless you're extremely limited in hand movement for whatever reason.
Maybe pick up a Domino for the flipper?
Going back to Caly.
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

I normally carry a Techno with either a SB Caly 3.5, LH Military, or Endura in my left rear pocket.
MickM

Post by MickM »

I think your right! About five years ago I had trouble moving parts of my right hand and they did surgery and took tendon material from my forearm to rebuild my thumb. I hadn't thought about it and don't remember what the procedure was called but the did put me to sleep to do it? The Spyderco works perfect in my left hand and is so sweet! But I can't get my right thumb to rotate in the full circle. I don't know what to do now, I wanted to start a small collection.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

MickM wrote:I think your right! About five years ago I had trouble moving parts of my right hand and they did surgery and took tendon material from my forearm to rebuild my thumb. I hadn't thought about it and don't remember what the procedure was called but the did put me to sleep to do it? The Spyderco works perfect in my left hand and is so sweet! But I can't get my right thumb to rotate in the full circle. I don't know what to do now, I wanted to start a small collection.

Well that might be it!
Unfortunately most liner locks like your Persistence are not super lefty friendly.
Like I said, check out the models with Flippers on the blade, like Dice/Domino/Southard/Rubicon, all of which can be opened with your index finger. As long as you can close your Persistence fine with your right hand, you'll be fine with those models too.

Or, if you can practice and master the middle (or index) finger flick, many models can be opened faster and easier than with thumb.
Going back to Caly.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Plus, they can all be easily opened two-handed.
:bug-red-white
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

These are the current ones that are in my EDC rotation. I have others that make their way in but these always seem to get the most use. The Manix S110V, Para 2 and the Kiwi seem to get the most pocket time lately.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

OldSarSwmr wrote:These are the current ones that are in my EDC rotation. I have others that make their way in but these always seem to get the most use. The Manix S110V, Para 2 and the Kiwi seem to get the most pocket time lately.

Is that a Starmate with the light wooden scale?

I see a Subcom in there too. I had one a few years ago that blasted apart when I rode it under my *** at 45mph on asphalt after being hit by a car on my motorcycle.
Also surprised you didn't do the 550hg Griptilian for the Spyderhole!
Going back to Caly.
Razzle

Post by Razzle »

SpeedHoles wrote:
Razzle wrote:Every day, without fail, is my P'Kal in the left corner of my right front pocket.

Lately, either the Southard or Yojimbo, same pocket as company.

Two knives in the same pocket seem like they would just beat each other up over a short period of time.
If I'm double carrying I usually do one front pocket, one back.
I'm 6'5" 230 lbs, with large pockets in my jeans. The two knives are 6" apart from each other, with almost zero chance of beating each other up, much less even arguing.
Matt
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

I see a Subcom in there too. I had one a few years ago that blasted apart when I rode it under my *** at 45mph on asphalt after being hit by a car on my motorcycle.
That's one of the current Starmates that I made Lignum Vitae scales for. The wood was given to me by a great member of this forum! I use the Subcom as a money clip every once in a while, i'll have to avoid the motorcycle test... ;)
I have a mini-grip with the Spyderhole, it has been well used and makes its way out every once in a while.

Dan
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

OldSarSwmr wrote:

That's one of the current Starmates that I made Lignum Vitae scales for. The wood was given to me by a great member of this forum! I use the Subcom as a money clip every once in a while, i'll have to avoid the motorcycle test... ;)
I have a mini-grip with the Spyderhole, it has been well used and makes its way out every once in a while.

Dan

Nice!
Happen to have some better photos of the Starmate alone, open and closed? Would love to see if it weren't a hassle.
And yeah, I have a 555hg mini-grip too, with Wilkins Grips and the Spyderhole, and it's a pretty slick little knife!
Going back to Caly.
can't freehand

Post by can't freehand »

Endura - zdp-189
MickM

Post by MickM »

I understand now my problem is with my surgically repaired right thumb that stop my Spyderco Persistance from working for me. I love the knife size both handle and blade size are perfect! How does this compare to Spyderco Domino. (Once I got over the sticker shock) The Persistace would be perfect if I could open it one handed.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

MickM wrote:I understand now my problem is with my surgically repaired right thumb that stop my Spyderco Persistance from working for me. I love the knife size both handle and blade size are perfect! How does this compare to Spyderco Domino. (Once I got over the sticker shock) The Persistace would be perfect if I could open it one handed.

Fit and finish, along with quality of materials used, are going to far exceed those of the Persistence. The Domino (and many of the Taichung products) is one of the smoothest Spydercos I've operated.
You're basically going from the bottom rung of the ladder in the catalog, straight to the top-shelf product.
The Carson Flipper is ingenious. And can also be addicting.
Ergonomics of the Domino are a bit different than the Persistence, most notably being that the blade does not go all the way to the handle and instead has a deep finger choil on the blade of the Domino. Both have a decent size thumb ramp though.
I personally really enjoy the feel of the Domino, and slightly reminds me of a Manix 2.

here's a comparison photo of my Persistence above and BBS Domino and a Dice as well.

Another method I forgot to mention to you is a model with the Emerson Wave, such as a Delica (Endura is much longer than your Persistence). These will catch on your pocket edge and open as you pull it out in one motion, one handed. Waved Delicas are much lower cost than the Domino. They are also a step up in quality and materials from the Persistence, but more mid range, and the action is not as smooth as a Domino, mostly due to being a lock-back design, which may be slightly more difficult to one hand close if you have restricted hand movement from your surgery.
Going back to Caly.