VISIONS of MECCA...&...SWAG!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
danospydermano

Post by danospydermano »

SpydercoCaption-101.jpg
I'm going to be in the Denver area this weekend and hopefully get a chance to visit the showroom and get a couple of my Spydie's factory re-sharpened. I won't have any trouble finding it as I grew up in the area and per google-maps it's in what used to be an empty field on the way to my Aunt & Uncles house up the GG Canyon.
I just wanted to read about other peoples experiences who have been to the Magical Land Of Steel and G-10 (or FRN if you prefer!). Is it just a sales showroom or is it a Museum of a sort as well? Thanks in advance for any of you who care to reply.
- danofiremano [aka: well you know...]
Last edited by danospydermano on Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
If carrying 2-is-1 and One-is-None...What is Five?
bearfacedkiller

Re: Who has been to MECCA (the Spyderco Showroom)?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have been quite a few times. It is a showroom where you can fondle and purchase almost every knife in the product line. Sometimes some are sold out but usually they have almost every knife in the catalog there. I usually just stop in to handle new models before I buy.

There are a few cool displays set up and it is very common to see one of the Glessers in the showroom and they are always friendly and willing to chat. That alone makes they trip worth it.

Enjoy your visit.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Just remember to take lot's of pics :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Enjoy your visit! It is a large show room with nearly every current production Spydie on display and most in stock for sale. In order to not undercut their dealers, they charge a percent (20% ?) off of MSRP, so prices are higher than online, but cheaper than online from Spyderco HQ.

They usually have a World Trade Center display, a display of Qs, and a display of prototype and 1-off Natives.

Oh...and sometimes you can see prototypes. I saw a large karambit a few years ago (before the Karahawk was out--not sure if I saw a Karahawk, or something else), and at the SFO sale, Sal showed off a Lil' Temp 2 proto.
danospydermano

Post by danospydermano »

Thanks for the replies. If I make it to MECCA, I will be taking some pic's for sure and one (or all) of them will be entered into the following weekly photo contest(s). I'm looking forward to it and just hope the weather holds steady for my trip. I'll post about my experience when I get home, if I can wait that long!
L :spyder: L
timlara

Post by timlara »

I visit the MECCA all too often as well, and even though I usually try to be more patient and save money by buying my Spydies from some of the great online dealers out there, it is sometimes hard to resist purchasing new models in person if they impress me enough. Particularly Golden-made models as there's just something kind of cool about buying them right next door from where they were made.

And I agree with BFK that the best part of visiting the SFO is when you happen to run into one of the Glessers. They seem to genuinely enjoy interacting with their customers, and I always learn something new whenever I talk to them.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's bitter sweet that I live on the opposite coast. I'm sure I'd have sold a vital organ by now covering my knife bills.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I've been there a few times, it's great. The knives are good, but the staff is better. I haven't met a more professional and kind sales staff. They 'get' knifeknuts.
I made this crummy little video a couple of years ago. I'm sure the layout has changed a bit now, but perhaps it gives you an impression of what to expect.

My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
timlara

Post by timlara »

Yep, still looks pretty much the same today. One of my other favorite displays that I didn't spot in your video is the actual fish tank with Salt knives in it for dramatic effect. Not sure how long they've had that.

Can't agree more about how friendly (and knowledgeable) the sales staff is. They will patiently take out any and all products you want to play around with, and there's never any sales pressure. They never seem annoyed if you're "just looking".

I think it's hilarious that all the staff apparently ran and hid when they saw your camera! (That's exactly what I would have done!! :D )
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

Thanks for pointing out that it's in the Denver area. My company has a location near Denver/Broomfield. I am on the East coast, but there has been talk of having outings there. As much as air travel makes me cringe, now I actually have a reason to go.
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

I had the opportunity to go over the holidays. We were in the area to visit family and I took my 5 year old to buy his first knife there in person. The staff was phenomenal, outrageously patient, and knowledgeable. He left with a serrated dragonfly and a foliage green ladybug.

Next time I may have to go without the little guy so there is more time to browse. The displays looked great.

They also sharpened a bunch of SE blades that I had kept meaning to send back in for sharpening while we were there. I figured that I would drop them off and have them shipped back home but they managed to have it all done while we were there.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Hey Dano! I was fortunate to go to the Spyder-Mecca once a few summers ago. It is just as glorious as you can imagine. Best of luck and have a great time!
P.S. You may want to leave your Mastercard at home. :)

Here's a thread I started regarding my experience: :Dhttps://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtopic.php? ... &hilit=sfo" target="_blank
danospydermano

Post by danospydermano »

:spyder: Thanks again for all the replies! It was sweet and I took some pix that I'll post when I get home. :spyder:
Sig Savvy

Post by Sig Savvy »

I used to work just a few miles up the road from the factory. Spent many a lunch hour up there browsing and talking with the staff. Ran into Mrs. Glesser once and my friend and I spent an hour talking with her. It was great! Alas, I now live in New Hampshire...although I love the state (hate the weather) I do miss being able to just pop in to the factory store. The staff was always great. I had a couple of questions on my knives and they either took them in the back to ask someone from the floor or pulled out some tools to make adjustments. It was comforting knowing I could bring them whenever to get free, expert advice and TLC. Jeeze..now I'm depressed...hope you got a lot of new toys!
Fred S

Post by Fred S »

You can also look at a bunch of Randalls they have there
danospydermano

VISIONS of MECCA...

Post by danospydermano »

Had a great trip into Denver. Went to MECCA on Saturday with the wife (that's how we celebrate Forced Affection Day)! L :spyder: L Saturday night my Aunt and her friend rented out the concert hall at the Buffalo Rose in Golden for their birthday bash and we had a blast. :D My aunt is 70 (though you wouldn't know it and her BFF is 60) and they partied into the night.
I didn't get a new knife, but got some C :spyder: :spyder: L SPYDIE SWAG! I also got to fond...er...handle a few that I've been wanting. The staff was awesome! Rachel J., was very knowledgeable about all the products. Sadly, I didn't meet Mr. Sal or Eric, but maybe next time (it's only a 3-4 hr. drive from home).
My only other regret is that I didn't get a picture of the Salt Knives in the fish tank. :( I took some pic's, but will only post a few here because you can find plenty more on the forum. The others I'll post in the weekly photo contest in the coming weeks, so check that out. Hope you like them. They even gave us :spyder: Candy for FAD/VD!
Attachments
The Gates of MECCA.
The Gates of MECCA.
The Inner Sanctuary of MECCA.
The Inner Sanctuary of MECCA.
danospydermano

VISIONS of MECCA...

Post by danospydermano »

Some of my other pic's of the Inner Sanctuary.
Attachments
Steel From Tower One of the World Trade Center.
Steel From Tower One of the World Trade Center.
One of the Knives Made From the Steel Above. The Steel is the Twin Towers on the Handle.
One of the Knives Made From the Steel Above. The Steel is the Twin Towers on the Handle.
An Awesome Memorial Patch.
An Awesome Memorial Patch.
Last edited by danospydermano on Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
danospydermano

VISIONS of MECCA...SWAG!

Post by danospydermano »

:D :spyder: My SPYDIE Gear & Swag! :spyder: :D
It was Christmas all over again on FA-Day! L :spyder: L
I got a Double Stuff Field Sharpener for my backpack, Two Charcoal Mirror Decals for My Truck (pic's will follow), a Spydie Cube Bead and when I got out to the wife's truck I found they put in the WAY COOL plastic Spydie Cutouts (the two on the hat band) and the box of Forced Affection Day Candy with the Orange Cutout taped to it!
Attachments
Double Stuff, Spydie Bead & Goodies!
Double Stuff, Spydie Bead & Goodies!
The Forced Affection Day Candy...Never to be Opened.
The Forced Affection Day Candy...Never to be Opened.
danospydermano

Post by danospydermano »

[URL=http://s172.photobucket.com/user/d ... .jpg[/img][/url]
:spyder: The pic's from my Quest are in and there are more to come soon! :spyder:
jmh58

Re: VISIONS of MECCA...&...SWAG!

Post by jmh58 »

NICE!!! Thanks for posting pics!!! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)