How I would change the Roadie.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
remnar

How I would change the Roadie.

Post by remnar »

I recently received my new Roadie and absolutely love the little knife, but there is one thing that I wish could be undone. I mean no offense to Sal and company and I know it is their trademark, but I would like to see the knife without a spyder hole. I love the design of the opening disc and think that it makes a great faux spyder hole. A blade with "two holes" in it just looks odd to me. Am I way out of line? Do you agree or disagree? Maybe you just don't care. What do you think? :spyder: :)
Liquid Cobra

Re: How I would change the Roadie.

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Hmm. I think it needs to be there. I don't consider the double dent to be a hole, so it looks fine to me. I know the double dent is meant to be reminiscent of the Spyder hole, so having both is kind of redundant but it works.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Remnar,

It took us 35 years to estabish a trademark that is known worldwide. It is an essential part of the future of our company that we maintain our trademark. Sorry if you don't like it, but ...

sal
remnar

Post by remnar »

Thanks for the reply Sal. I understand the reason behind the hole and I hope that you don't think that I was disrespectful with my comments. I look forward to the colorful Roadies that are on their way.

BTW, You need to give yourself more credit. I don't think it took 35 years for you to establish your trademark worldwide. :D
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

I'd be upset if it was not there. My santoku is amazing but the lack of hole freaks me out.
remnar

Post by remnar »

God'sMyJudge wrote:I'd be upset if it was not there. My santoku is amazing but the lack of hole freaks me out.
That's how I usually feel when a see a blade with a stud sticking out of the side.
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

God'sMyJudge wrote:I'd be upset if it was not there. My santoku is amazing but the lack of hole freaks me out.
Same here I wish the kitchen line had the spyderco trademark that I like so much. Besides the great designs and steel I think that Spyderhole was one of the main reasons I was attracted to the Spyderco line.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
sal

Post by sal »

When we upgrade the kitchen line, we'll add the hole.

sal
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Never was a big fan of having to take out the thumb studs before sharpening personally.
FDE

Post by FDE »

I was under the impression that the kitchen line lacked the trademark hole for ease of cleaning. This must not be the case?
FDE

Post by FDE »

Ankerson wrote:Never was a big fan of having to take out the thumb studs before sharpening personally.
Worse yet, thumb studs that can't be removed! :confused:
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

sal wrote:When we upgrade the kitchen line, we'll add the hole.

sal
Glad to hear this! I have a big block of Shuns that are nice enough, but would love an option from you guys. Would it ever make sense to compete with Kershaw, Wusthof, etc. at Sur La Table, Williams-Sonoma, Etc? I'm sure you've looked at that already ...