Poll - UKPK Sprint Steel Choice

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which steel would you like to see in a UKPK sprint run?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:52 am

CPM S110V
22%
Aisi 52100
39%
CPM Cruwear
10%
CPM M4
29%

Total votes: 82

Johnnie1801

Poll - UKPK Sprint Steel Choice

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I just thought I'd post a poll to see which steel the majority of forumites would like to see in a UKPK sprint run. I have made a poll based on steels mentioned in the UK Penknife Sprints thread.

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... 3&start=20

At the end of the day any steel choice will be up to the Spydercrew but at least this poll will show what the majority of forumites want. Here are short descriptions of the steels to help make your mind up :)

CPM S110V
CPM S110V is a high alloy martensitic stainless tool steel
produced by the Crucible Particle Metallurgy (CPM)
process. CPM S110V contains a high volume fraction of
both vanadium-rich and niobium-rich primary alloy carbides
for exceptionally good wear resistance compared to other
commercially available PM tool steels. It also offers better
corrosion resistance than 440C or CPM S90V.

The CPM process results in a fine and uniform carbide
distribution in CPM S110V compared to conventionally
produced high alloy tool steels which results in relatively
good machining, grinding, and toughness characteristics
despite the high alloy content.
Aisi 52100
AISI 52100 is a high carbon tool steel containing low quantities of manganese and chromium to improve hardening. Because of the low chromium levels in 52100 steel, it has very low corrosion resistance compared to other higher chromium tool steels.

In applications where corrosion is less of an issue, 52100 tool steel is considered an ideal, affordable option, offering a very fine grain with superior edge retention. It is capable of cutting a wide range of materials because of its combination of toughness, wear-resistance, and hardness.
Cruwear
CRU-WEAR® is an air hardening tool steel possessing an excellent combination of high wear resistance and toughness. This grade is readily machined in the annealed condition (using parameters similar to D2) and exhibits minimal distortion in hardening. The normal heat treatment is compatible to a wide variety of surface coatings such as nitriding, tin coating, etc.
CRU-WEAR excels in applications that require higher wear resistance than D2, greater toughness than M2 high speed steel, or in applications that require both.
The combination of wear resistance, compressive strength, and exceptional toughness make CRU-WEAR a great choice for a wide variety of demanding tooling applications.
CPM M4
CPM M4 is a special purpose high-speed tool steel, containing a high level of vanadium. M4 is tougher and more wear resistant than M2 and M3 in high speed cutting applications involving light cuts.

CPM M4 also comes in several modifications including high carbon (HC), which offers a better hardening response during treating. Additionally, the high sulfur (HS) modification, standard in larger diameter stock, allows for improved machinability and grindability over traditional M4 steel.

As with all CPM steels, CPM M4 us created using Crucible’s patented Crucible Particle Metallurgy process, which provides a highly homogeneous, stable, grindable, and tough product compared to steels created using traditional metallurgy.
Last edited by Johnnie1801 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Ignaz

Re: Poll - UKPK Sprint Steel Choice

Post by Ignaz »

Thank you for the poll Jon.

I voted for 52100 but I can tell you right now that S110V is probably going to win.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I voted S110V but wouldn't have minded seeing S90V included in the poll. I've created a thread about this on British Blades but it hasn't showed up yet as just I created a new account. Once the mods approve my post it should show up. I'm curious to see what they think over there.

Thanks for making this poll.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I went with S110V. For smaller, lighter duty knives, might as well have something with extreme wear resistance. 10V would be a good choice too, or maybe Maxamet. That's how I see it.
clantz

Post by clantz »

52100 would be interesting to see in a small light duty folder. Seems appropriate for a small slicer.

Post by 1623 »

After looking through Liquid Cobra's UKPK post, I had to jump in on this.

I voted M4, which I would love to see with Carbon Fiber scales similar to that of the GB and Sage 1.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
LC Kid

S110V By Far!

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

Nice idea to submit this Steel Poll. :)

Pretty easy to predict the winner: S110V By Far. :D
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Thanks for the poll. You beat me to it, but I'm glad you put steel info on there. I voted 110V, but Cruwear sounds great too. I really want the dark blue handles though. How about Cruwear is the next sprint? ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

I voted cru wear like a bit more than s110v
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
bh49

Post by bh49 »

CPM M4.
In general, I am not interesting in slippies. But the blade steel, which I didn't try before can trigger a purchase. Now it is CPM M4.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Ignaz wrote:Thank you for the poll Jon.

I voted for 52100 but I can tell you right now that S110V is probably going to win.
Hey Ignaz, I voted for s110v but only just. s110v has impressed me hugely in the lw manix format. I am also a fan of cruwear and m4 but I'd like to try 52100 one day also.

I tell you what, if you (or anyone else) can convince me about the benefits of 52100, I will change my vote. Who knows maybe others will be convinced also :)

I think the benefit of s110v is probably that Spyderco already have sheets of it ready for use in the factory. They have already worked with it and know how to use it. An s110v run of ukpk's could be started fairly quickly and be in my pocket within months :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

Johnnie1801 wrote: Hey Ignaz, I voted for s110v but only just. s110v has impressed me hugely in the lw manix format. I am also a fan of cruwear and m4 but I'd like to try 52100 one day also.

I tell you what, if you (or anyone else) can convince me about the benefits of 52100, I will change my vote. Who knows maybe others will be convinced also :)
Ok here are some benefits of 52100 or carbon steel in general:

Hardened correctly carbon steel is relatively tough and not very brittle. So the edge can be quite shallow and is not prone to chipping. If the edge gets damaged it will rather deform. This is the reason why "heavy duty knives", machetes and axes are usually made out of carbon steel.
It has got a fine microstructure so it allows a very fine edge. This is the reason why straight razors are usually made out of carbon steel.
It can be sharpened easily and fast and holds an edge adequately long. Except you are one of those guys who buy a knife only for cutting several miles of cardboard or rope with it.
Most carbon steels are also very affordable and can be machined easily.
52100 has never been used by Spyderco in contrast to all the other steels included in the poll. Maybe it's not a true "benefit" but it think it's noteworthy.

I am definitely not an expert or a metallurgist but my experiences with carbon steel have always been very favorable.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Ignaz wrote:
Johnnie1801 wrote:52100 has never been used by Spyderco in contrast to all the other steels included in the poll.
Sorry, what you say is wrong. The first Mule team knife was made from 52100 steel ;)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

Peter1960 wrote:
Ignaz wrote:
Johnnie1801 wrote:52100 has never been used by Spyderco in contrast to all the other steels included in the poll.
Sorry, what you say is wrong. The first Mule team knife was made from 52100 steel ;)
I am aware of that. I have already mentioned it in this thread:http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... =2&t=66783.
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Sorry, I can't recall the original discussion in too much detail.
Are we talking about a Sprint of the current FRN-variant or of the original G10-variant?
My choice of steel would be somewhat different whether a 2.0 mm or a 3.0 mm thick blade is concerned...
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

MarcusH wrote:Sorry, I can't recall the original discussion in too much detail.
Are we talking about a Sprint of the current FRN-variant or of the original G10-variant?
My choice of steel would be somewhat different whether a 2.0 mm or a 3.0 mm thick blade is concerned...
Sal has said that a G10/CF/Titanium version would be too costly so he recommended FRN since they are already producing them. With that said, I don't know if his recommendation means that this Sprint could be a reality. It could be wishful thinking even on his part :)
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Ah, so it will be FRN if there will ever be a UKPK Sprint.
Then I'd like to vote for the S110V variant.

But reminding how difficult it was for Sal in 2005/06 to find the right material for the spring that could take it up against the S30V blade, I wonder if the current spring of the CTS-BD1 UKPK is strong enough for S110V.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Dark blue FRN in S110V, 'nuff said. Keeps things consistent with the Manix 2 and upcoming Native 5 lightweights. And not to be nit-picky with you M4 voters (and trust me, I love this steel), this is the UKPK intended for our friends in the UK, is it not? Kind of damp there for a rust-prone steel to be EDC'd, isn't it? ;) :D Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Uke

Post by Uke »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Dark blue FRN in S110V, 'nuff said. Keeps things consistent with the Manix 2 and upcoming Native 5 lightweights. And not to be nit-picky with you M4 voters (and trust me, I love this steel), this is the UKPK intended for our friends in the UK, is it not? Kind of damp there for a rust-prone steel to be EDC'd, isn't it? ;) :D Cheers, Radioactive :)
Well I'm a lucky denzien of rainy old Manchester in the damp and grey UK and my Tan M4 Manix is probably my favourite Spydie :) I've never had any issues with rust. I've given Super Blue a good thrashing over here too and just ended up with a very nice patina.

M4 gets my vote! :D
Leeroy37

Post by Leeroy37 »

Another vote for M4 from rainy England lol love the M4 on my Gayle Bradley :-)