Don't have your knives sharpened at the gun show

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chuckd

Re: Don't have your knives sharpened at the gun show

Post by chuckd »

It sort of looks like they used a grinding wheel, but a very coarse one and it got the steel very hot and the edge very dull.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

KevinOubre wrote:That is painful to look at
Lol, it is, yet I've looked at it like twenty times! It's like a train wreck...you don't want to watch but you can't look away! :p
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Oh I'm sure the edge is burned to **** and back too. I'm sure as heck not gonna take the edge down like that again.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Ouch, that's just awful! What a beautiful edge on it when you first gave it to him. Shameful!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

KevinOubre wrote:That is painful to look at
Agreed. That just makes sad.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

WE had a guy here at the main gun shows in Kansas City, MO have a booth in which he sharpened knives. I watched him do a couple of them for a couple of customers and it made my skin crawl :eek: He was using a very high speed, dry grinder and I'm 1000% certain that he has burnt up the tempering on every knife he did :mad:

That is a great title and a great subject to talk about EVIL because you aren't the only one that agrees with me that most of the jerks at gun shows who sharpen knives are jack-legged idiots to say the least :rolleyes: I do have a grinder I use on really badly beat up blades>> it's called a TORMEK unit>> it has a very slow rpm rating and the stone constantly dips in water. it's a wet grinder and the only one I would use on any edged tool.

It's truly unbelievable how many blatant rip-off con artists there are out there :mad: Knife sharpening is something that just has to be done right. I've got 14 books on sharpening and I've been learning it and doing it for almost 20 years now and I still learn new stuff all the time. It truly is a skill that takes time and patience that I find few people have anymore. But that's America for you>> Everybody buys all their stuff cheap at Rip-Mart and everyone wants everything done in a microwave hurry. AS a result all they have is crap and their life is mostly crap :rolleyes: Great thread EVIL ;)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

You might as well take your guns to a knife sharpener for a trigger job...
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

There is usually some Bubba that sharpens at our local gun shows. He uses what looks like a belt sander to sharpen.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Sal started by selling sharpening products at knife shows. I guess this reasoning is why he was successful. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

Makes me feel a whole lot better. Gave a friend a ZDP Stretch the other day. Did a rush job up to 1000 grit on the Edge Pro. It was reflective and shaving sharp. And here I thought my sharpening skills were crap. Maybe I should have sharpened at 2 degrees like these guys did!
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

mikerestivo wrote:There is usually some Bubba that sharpens at our local gun shows. He uses what looks like a belt sander to sharpen.
It is possible to do a reasonable job with a belt sander, most manufacturers do that. Spyderco sharpens their knives by hand I believe using belt sanders. Also you can find threads on other forums about using a small belt sander from Harbor Freight for sharpening knives.

But back to the original post- the knife's new owner was warned.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

It is tragic what happened to the knife blade, my condolences.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Ooooh.

Was this one of these "Amazing Time Saving Wonder" type stalls on the perephery?.....You know- the ones you get at every gun show:
There's the fat little spectacled chap selling demisting gunk that does demist but smears like dairy butter
Then there's the bald tattoo'd dude with his 'magic titanium coated drills' that will drill through a 'carbon steel file, ladies and gentlemen, and never ever need sharpening!" :rolleyes:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

That's almost as bad as the guy I see all the time at my local Walmart selling "surgical stainless" kitchen knives that never need sharpening. When I asked him what type of steel they were made from, he said "uhhh, surgical, like I said" like I was the one who didn't know what I was talking about.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:That's almost as bad as the guy I see all the time at my local Walmart selling "surgical stainless" kitchen knives that never need sharpening. When I asked him what type of steel they were made from, he said "uhhh, surgical, like I said" like I was the one who didn't know what I was talking about.
Yeah I got a good laugh everytime I see the phase "surgical stainless" :rolleyes: You see that a lot on those late night info-mercials and on cheap straight razors made in two specific third world **** holes that I won't mention>> you know the ones you can buy for $4 at Rip-Mart :rolleyes:

I used to work for a physician who told me that there were several companies in Germany that used to make surgical scalpels years ago and most of them were made with different steels. He also told me that they mainly use disposable stuff now a days. It also reminds me of those nauseating Ginsu commercials that they used to have years ago on late night TV :rolleyes:

It's really mind blowing when you discover how many of those they sold :eek: Let the buyer beware :(
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Evil D wrote:That's almost as bad as the guy I see all the time at my local Walmart selling "surgical stainless" kitchen knives that never need sharpening. When I asked him what type of steel they were made from, he said "uhhh, surgical, like I said" like I was the one who didn't know what I was talking about.
"What kind of car do you drive?"
"Uhh, I don't know, but it's red."
"Ooooh, those are fast!"
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

That blade was tortured! Good luck with the restoration, keen to see how it looks after being restored.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I still have a brass balisong from Parker Cutlery that's stamped surgical stainless. I get it out sometimes for a good laugh.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Sorry to change the topic but wasn't m390 developed as a surgical steel?
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Looks like it was sharpened by a dentist drill...