Anybody here have a Tuff?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Geno

Anybody here have a Tuff?

Post by Geno »

I am looking to spend around $300 on knives in the next coming days, and I've noticed I need a work horse and I would like to try out a larger knife. Anybody know how reliable the lock is on the Tuff? The lock is the only thing I've seen people have problems with on review videos. I'm thinking I'm gonna go with the Spyderco Tuff, and the Resilience. If anybody has experience with these knives I would love to hear your opinions on them and if they are worth their price(I'm almost certain the resilience is a steal for the $40-50 range).
tvenuto

Re: Anybody here have a Tuff?

Post by tvenuto »

I do not have a Tuff, but if I had $300 to spend on knives and wanted some larger designs I'd probably go with a Manix XL and a Military. Or shop around and get a Manix XL, PM2, AND a Yojimbo2. You might be able to get away with that for around $300. The resilience is a phenomenal knife btw, so nothing wrong with that. You also might want to handle or see some comparison pics of the Tuff, as it actually doesn't have the largest edge in the world. Not saying it's inadequate but you might find it to be smaller than expected.

I have found that all spyderco knives have a lock that meets my reliability requirements.
Geno

Post by Geno »

I am really looking into the Tuff because I kind of have trust issues with the toughness of a blade after I have had some locks fail and almost lose my fingers, or silly me try to get into the knife world and make the huge mistake of throwing down $105 on a P.O.S. Gerber Propel Downrange A.O. I literally have only cut paper with that knife and it has more blade play then I would think even possible for a knife with a $200 MSRP.
Geno

Post by Geno »

I don't go around chopping trees down all day, but I want at least one knife that I could beat on as hard as I want and still be confident and not nervous of damaging it.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Geno wrote:I don't go around chopping trees down all day, but I want at least one knife that I could beat on as hard as I want and still be confident and not nervous of damaging it.
You might want to take a look at the Gayle Bradley Folder as well, it's a real workhorse and the linerlock is probably the strongest one I have used.
tvenuto wrote:I do not have a Tuff, but if I had $300 to spend on knives and wanted some larger designs I'd probably go with a Manix XL and a Military. Or shop around and get a Manix XL, PM2, AND a Yojimbo2. You might be able to get away with that for around $300. The resilience is a phenomenal knife btw, so nothing wrong with that. You also might want to handle or see some comparison pics of the Tuff, as it actually doesn't have the largest edge in the world. Not saying it's inadequate but you might find it to be smaller than expected.

I have found that all spyderco knives have a lock that meets my reliability requirements.
Lol, if I send you $300 would you buy me those knives? :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Geno

Post by Geno »

lol Johnnie
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I (and he) said around! The Manix XL is available right now at a popular retailer for $98. How spyderco can produce this knife, and a retailer stay in business, for that I'll never know.

To Geno, but "toughness of a blade" do you mean the knife itself? Because you go on to describe lock failures not blade failures. Anyway the reason I go into all of this is the main difference in the Tuff is its 3V blade steel which is known for high impact toughness. So if a very tough blade is what you want, then the Tuff is your knife. If you want a strong lock...well as I said I'm not sure you can go wrong with a spyderco.
Geno

Post by Geno »

I didn't specify because I have already looked into CPM 3V steel. I haven't really seen any other tougher hard use steels out there with the small cons it has. I am not worried about the knife having blade play because of the oversized pivot screw, and the blade steel is superb, all I really would love to hear about is if anybody has noticed anything sub par about the liner lock. I had a budget folder with a liner lock and while cutting up cardboard boxes the liner lock buckled and knicked two of my fingers and if I hadn't have immediately noticed could have very well send me to the emergency room. Now for blade failures I have had a CPM S30V blade(Gerber Propel Downrange A.O.) come brand new out of the box with I **** you not, 3 chips already in the steel at the edge.

EDIT: I am actually going to be sending that blade back with a request for a new knife. The only reason I think buying that Gerber was worth it, is that they have a lifetime warranty, it's a big perk.
Last edited by Geno on Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Tuff's are tough...

But, like venuto, we need more specifics on what type of work you're gonna put your knife through.

Manix XL is a great choice...the original Manix with back lock is harder to find but it is very hearty also...

Have you looked at the Gayle Bradley folder in M4 steel? M4 is not stainless, but it is easy to maintain.
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

I have a Tuff and i love it. one of my favorites. I love the looks, the blade angle, and the handle comfort. It's one of Schempps finest in my opinion, however not many people share my opinion. :( If you generally like Schempp designs then you will probably love this one.

JD
Geno

Post by Geno »

I don't abuse my knives at all, but I always would like to know that I could if necessary and not have to worry about it. I don't have any hard use to do with them even, the worst my knives will probably see is cutting up some cardboard, so I could go with a manix or a pm2 but I like how tough the Tuff looks and I would love to have that secure feeling if a hard task ever comes up. I've seen some stuff about pm2 tips breaking off from hard use, and I know the Tuff is theoretically not ever going to run into that problem with 3V steel and that thick robust tip.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Farid k2?
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Invective

Post by Invective »

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... =2&t=66368" target="_blank

I did this with my Tuff. Held up well and still no bladeplay. I'd be confident in doing pretty much anything with mine
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

$98 for an XL Manix2 is really fantastic.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Geno wrote:I don't abuse my knives at all, but I always would like to know that I could if necessary and not have to worry about it. I don't have any hard use to do with them even, the worst my knives will probably see is cutting up some cardboard, so I could go with a manix or a pm2 but I like how tough the Tuff looks and I would love to have that secure feeling if a hard task ever comes up. I've seen some stuff about pm2 tips breaking off from hard use, and I know the Tuff is theoretically not ever going to run into that problem with 3V steel and that thick robust tip.
Based on your description I'm pretty sure we've narrowed your choices down to...pretty much any Spyderco ever. Hey, if you like the looks of the Tuff then go for it, but you'll seriously be fine with any design that strikes your fancy.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

MacLaren wrote:$98 for an XL Manix2 is really fantastic.
That is such a good price, I just wonder if Spyderco even make a profit on those :eek: That's why I asked Tvenuto to buy me one, here the cheapest price is about $150 :p

Geno, it looks like you are looking for a solid/dependable everyday carry knife. I think if i were in your shoes I would go for a paramilitary 2, a Native 5 lightweight and a sharpmaker to keep them in good working order.

The Tuff is a tough hombre but remember it has been discontinued so might not be so easy to find. Like Tvenuto said, you can pretty much go for any Spydie, there is no such thing as a bad one, just some that are better than others :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
303_enfield

Post by 303_enfield »

Tuff is on sale right now.http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... -Sale-ever" target="_blank!
Always looking for the right one :)
Geno

Post by Geno »

Yeah I know they're discontinued that's why I am trying to snag one up right now on their closeout sale.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I love my Tuff, and have not had any problems with my lock engagement. The issues I've heard about were on early produced ones, and I recall hearing that later ones also have a lockbar that is a lot less stiff. Mine is one of the earlier ones with the very stiff lockbar. Another hard use capable Spyderco to check out is the Vallotton, but definitely grab a Tuff while you can.

All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Love the tuff! I have two of them, one unmodified and one with a reshaped blade. No problems at all with lockup, very smooth operation, 3V steel, build quality and robust design inspire confidence. Truly a folder that deserves the "hard-use" label. I have plenty of other folders that are great cutters (PM2s, Milis, GB, delicas, etc etc) but the Tuff is a real standout in terms of robustness.