Throwback Spydies

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ArmaliteKnight

Throwback Spydies

Post by ArmaliteKnight »

So, we all know knives come and go :(
Which spyders do you want to see return to the line up?
Of all the super high-end Spydercos that have gone on the discontinued list I'd really like to see a Scorpious come back to me. I had one in SS and lost it. I'd snatch one up even if it came out in FRN.
Which do you want to see make a come back?

:( Tis better to have loved and lost then never to have loved at all :(

-AK
Spydies I own:
Domino Blue CF
K2 Farid Mehr Bowie
Delica 4 FRN w/Emerson wave
PM2 in digicam
Spyderfly balisong
Harpy SS
Matriarch2 FRN w/Emerson wave
GOD BLESS JOHN NOVESKE R.I.P
sal

Re: Throwback Spydies

Post by sal »

Hi Knight,

Models are disco'd generally due to slower sales or a problem in mfg. Slow sales do not necessarily mean the design is not a good design, but more often that not, it's just that we're servicing a small market. In that case we will wait a while, and then make a short run (about 1200 pcs), and call it a "sprint" We'll change something in the sprint model to make it different from the original so as to nbot hurt the value of the original and avoid confusion with subsequent runs.

We generally do not bring them back into the regular line unless there is a specific reason that will make a difference.

sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

But while we're on that subject you can throw in the C-50 Centofante in SE & PE. The C-60 Ayoob in SE. Also the two Temperance 1 models PE & SE to come back in the H-1 Salt Series :cool:
ArmaliteKnight

Post by ArmaliteKnight »

sal wrote:Hi Knight,

Models are disco'd generally due to slower sales or a problem in mfg. Slow sales do not necessarily mean the design is not a good design, but more often that not, it's just that we're servicing a small market. In that case we will wait a while, and then make a short run (about 1200 pcs), and call it a "sprint" We'll change something in the sprint model to make it different from the original so as to nbot hurt the value of the original and avoid confusion with subsequent runs.

We generally do not bring them back into the regular line unless there is a specific reason that will make a difference.

sal
:eek: From sal himself?? It's a great honor sir. I look forward to a sprint run of the Scorpious if ever put into a "sprint". Thank you for your reply :D
Spydies I own:
Domino Blue CF
K2 Farid Mehr Bowie
Delica 4 FRN w/Emerson wave
PM2 in digicam
Spyderfly balisong
Harpy SS
Matriarch2 FRN w/Emerson wave
GOD BLESS JOHN NOVESKE R.I.P
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JD,

Issues; The C-50 tooling is long gone, The Temperance maker cannot work with H1, and the C-60 with teeth didn't sell well and Mr. Ayoob didn't care for them.

sal
Lost

Post by Lost »

A G10 Delica!!!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

LuxN wrote:A G10 Delica!!!
Ha this guy and his G10 Delicas. Patience, son! This one is on the docket and coming down the pike, and in a different steel no less. Keep your eyes peeled and you'll surely have no trouble scoring the next G10 Delica sprint.

I never really "got" the scorpius, but hey, different strokes, and I'm sure there are fans out there. I was stoked to see the Aqua Salt return, that's just a darn useful fixed blade, but I know that's not the typical trajectory of a discontinued design. I also like seeing knives that were previously only stainless coming back in updated materials (composites).

It's hard for me to request a sprint of a discontinued model, as oftentimes the Spydercrew knows better than I when it comes to what will "sprint" well. My love of the R model came when I bought the sprint purely for the unique handle material, and the design really grew on me. This is a fine position though, because there's no shortage of people requesting sprint runs!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I need Spyderco 10" bread knife and 9-10" Chef's.
I would love to see clipless Kopa, but I am aware, that this is not going to happen :(
Lost

Post by Lost »

tvenuto wrote:
LuxN wrote:A G10 Delica!!!
Ha this guy and his G10 Delicas. Patience, son! This one is on the docket and coming down the pike, and in a different steel no less. Keep your eyes peeled and you'll surely have no trouble scoring the next G10 Delica sprint.
Persistance brother.... I'm not giving up!!!! I will not stop until I've found a Foliage Green G10 Delica!!! Haha!! More than likely I'll end up buying a few of the new ones when they finally arrive also.
Last edited by Lost on Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

MICHAEL WALKER !!! Same as the previous one, in ZDP189 but with better CF scales.I am hunting one for a looooong time...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:Hi JD,

Issues; The C-50 tooling is long gone, The Temperance maker cannot work with H1, and the C-60 with teeth didn't sell well and Mr. Ayoob didn't care for them.
OoUCH!! :eek: I couldn't even throw darts and at least hit one out of three :D That Hurts!! It kind of reminds me of the old Rolling Stones song lyrics "YOU MAKE A GROWN MAN CRY"!! :o

OK I'm back in the batter's box again after striking out :rolleyes: What about the Temperance 1 in PE & SE in that new nitrogen steel you all are using in that TUSK model??? On the Ayoob >> how about a PE model in one of the newer supersteels? And a Breeden Rescue and Ulize Sprint in SE? >> no more knuckle balls please!! :D
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

elena86 wrote:MICHAEL WALKER !!! Same as the previous one, in ZDP189 but with better CF scales.I am hunting one for a looooong time...
Yep. That would be epic indeed. :D On a different note, I shall shed a few tears on the news of the C-50. :( Love that knife.
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

ATR
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Captain sprint
:bug-red-white
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Haha I guess I'm not the only one who has been on the hunt for a G10 Delica! Since that one is already coming in another rendition... and I've kind of eased my hunger with a Worker Sprint recently...

I'll have to agree with the Walker!

And a Breeden Rescue in Super Gold with Grey scales!

...or maybe a Scott Impala in Super Gold!

And revised Rock Lobster. :D
Last edited by SpeedHoles on Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Going back to Caly.
robot37

Post by robot37 »

C15 Terzuola!!!
I've been begging for this one to come back for years.
Please let it happen soon!!

-nate
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Another vote for the Rock Lobster. :)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

And I couldn't wait for a G-10 Delica. I put aftermarket scales on my ZDP Delica and it's awesome. :)
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

TomAiello wrote:And I couldn't wait for a G-10 Delica. I put aftermarket scales on my ZDP Delica and it's awesome. :)
Yeah I've got Wilkins Grip black G10 scales on one of my Super Blue Delicas and it's great, but there's still nothing like factory! :spyder:

What aftermarket scales did you go with on yours?
Going back to Caly.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

gbelleh wrote:Captain sprint
Yeah in Spyderedge with an orange G-10 handle :cool: Both of those Breeden designs that Spyderco sold should have been in SE and I'm really surprised neither one were :confused: