UK Penknife sprints

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

UK Penknife sprints

Post by elena86 »

I love my UK Penknife which is quite interesting since I am a locking-knife guy.But my foliage green G10, S30V, was my first "high end" Spyderco and it has a sentimental value for me.I wish they release more FFG UKPK sprints with different handle colors and materials and better steels.I tried to purchase a titanium handle one but the price is 200+ on e-bay and the G10 ones are quite hard to get.
Ignaz

Re: UK Penknife sprints

Post by Ignaz »

I would be very interested in another UKPK sprint. Grey, brown or dark green G10 would look pretty nice if you ask me. But I would not want "better" steels. I am not a fan of those "super steels". S30V is adequate in my opinion.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Ignaz wrote:I would be very interested in another UKPK sprint. Grey, brown or dark green G10 would look pretty nice if you ask me. But I would not want "better" steels. I am not a fan of those "super steels". S30V is adequate in my opinion.
S30V IS better steel for me.Better than GIN1 or CTS-BD1.I would very happy with a blue,green or grey G10 UKPK in CPM-S30V :)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'd even like a sprint of the FRN FFG drop point. I can't get it out of my pocket - seriously. I keep looking at my others, but just like it too much. I'd like a nice blue jean color with a darkened clip. I don't care what steel, as long as it's not AUS 8 or something like that.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

S30V IS better steel for me.
OK I thought you meant "better" than S30V.
Better than GIN1 or CTS-BD1.
Not necessarily. I like those steels a lot. In most cases I even prefer them to S30V. But I guess most people won't agree with me.
I would very happy with a blue,green or grey G10 UKPK in CPM-S30V :)
Blue could also look good if it was a dark navy blue.
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

Jazz wrote:I'd even like a sprint of the FRN FFG drop point.
Me too, I love the drop point blade shape on the UKPK. Looks a bit like a Stretch.
Jazz wrote:I don't care what steel, as long as it's not AUS 8 or something like that.
:eek: :confused: Pardon? AUS-8 is great.
sal

Post by sal »

I carry a drop point UK quite a bit.

Sprints are always possible, but if made with exotic handles, the cost becomes high and sales are poor. Materials like G-10, Titan, Carbon Fiber all have to be machined which really raises the costs of manufacture. We might be able to make sprints using exotic steels and different colors, eg; Midnight Blue handle with CPM 110V. It would raise the cost in blade material and processing, but not nearly as much as machining two scales from G-10 or Titan, etc.

sal
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

sal wrote:I carry a drop point UK quite a bit.

Sprints are always possible, but if made with exotic handles, the cost becomes high and sales are poor. Materials like G-10, Titan, Carbon Fiber all have to be machined which really raises the costs of manufacture. We might be able to make sprints using exotic steels and different colors, eg; Midnight Blue handle with CPM 110V. It would raise the cost in blade material and processing, but not nearly as much as machining two scales from G-10 or Titan, etc.

sal
Hi Sal, I think a midnight blue s110v UKPK would be awesome, especially for us Europeans and our restrictions. Personally I don't really care so much about the handle, it's more about the blade steel for me. I have limited sharpening equipment but I get good results with s110v. It's no wonder that the lw Manix in s110v won the forums knife of the year in our recent plebiscite. I think an s110v upgrade to the UKPK would be just as popular as the lw Manix.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
elena86

Post by elena86 »

sal
Thanx Sal.A dark blue FRN UKPK in CPM110V would be great.Good news for europeans :cool:
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

First I have to say I love this idea of a UKPK sprint. Sal's suggestion of a midnight blue FRN S110V sounds amazing. That would be one serious LBK! I would have to buy a couple of those.

The combo of S110V + FRN's strength + FRN's light weight + new stronger spring + low cost (FRN) would equal greatest UKPK of all time.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

sal
Thank you Sal for informing us and also contributing so much to the discussions on this forum.

However I personally would be pretty disappointed with any exotic steel. I simply don't have any use for them. Why not just consider FRN UKPKs with S30V or S35VN blades? Or other high performance non-exotic steels like CTS-XHP, CPM M4, (CPM) Cru-Wear, (CPM) D2 ... . I guess all of those steels are cheaper and perform better in most cases.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Thanks for stopping in, Sal. Your example sounds perfect!! Seriously.
- best wishes, Jazz.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Ignaz wrote: Thank you Sal for informing us and also contributing so much to the discussions on this forum.

However I personally would be pretty disappointed with any exotic steel. I simply don't have any use for them. Why not just consider FRN UKPKs with S30V or S35VN blades? Or other high performance non-exotic steels like CTS-XHP, CPM M4, (CPM) Cru-Wear, (CPM) D2 ... . I guess all of those steels are cheaper and perform better in most cases.
Drawing the line of "exotic" above those steels seems somewhat arbitrary. Is the concern carbide volume? You used ellipses, but I'm really not sure what other steels would complete your list of acceptable "non-exotic" steels, as the ones you listed are pretty different. I'm just curious as to why you draw the line where you do.
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

tvenuto wrote:
Ignaz wrote: Thank you Sal for informing us and also contributing so much to the discussions on this forum.

Drawing the line of "exotic" above those steels seems somewhat arbitrary. Is the concern carbide volume?
I did not draw the line. Apparently you don't know what exotic steels are. They are basically iron alloys which are not steel by definition. Iron can be considered steel if it contains up to 2 % carbon. So the popular CPM S110V which contains almost 3 % carbon is actually high-alloy CPM cast iron(2-4 % C). I think H-1 would also be considered as exotic steel as it's hardness is achieved with nitrogen and the amount of carbon(0,15%) alone would not be enough.

You used ellipses, but I'm really not sure what other steels would complete your list of acceptable "non-exotic" steels, as the ones you listed are pretty different. I'm just curious as to why you draw the line where you do.
I just wanted to suggest some non-exotic steels which are considered "better steels" by most people here and of which I know they can be used. Maybe the list can be made longer but I just mentioned some interesting steels which came to my mind.
kurt6652

Post by kurt6652 »

Cpm 154, s35vn, maybe damasteel for a sprint. I have some knives in s110v, but I like less exotic steels more for a light edc knife. I agree with Ignaz suggestions.
sal

Post by sal »

No problem on my end. I'd like a Cruwear UK, or even 52100. When it comes to steel, I'm easy. Whattayouwant?

sal
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Cru wear please!!!!!
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Cru-wear would be an excellent choice also. Forum knife maybe? :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

To be honest Sal, I was pretty excited about the S110V idea. S90V?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

sal wrote:No problem on my end. I'd like a Cruwear UK, or even 52100. When it comes to steel, I'm easy. Whattayouwant?

sal
Cru-Wear sounds great but 52100 would even be more interesting. It would be the first Spyderco with that steel if you don't count the mule and also the first Golden made non-stainless steel folder. I think 52100 is a great choice as it would emphasize the main characteristics of the UKPK: simplicity, affordability and superb cutting performance.
What do you all think?