Any new spydies w/ Compression locks?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ArmaliteKnight

Any new spydies w/ Compression locks?

Post by ArmaliteKnight »

I love my PM2 so much because of its locking system. If I'm not buying compression spyders, I'm buying lockbacks. Had "that one bad experience" with liner locks specifically on my Emerson CQC13 Bowie. Ouch.
So here's a list of compression locks I can think of, please feel free to add to my list as I am fairly ignorant :p
PM2
Junior
Yojimbo 1 & 2

Are these my only options? Are there more options coming available?
Any feedback is appreciated...
-AK
Spydies I own:
Domino Blue CF
K2 Farid Mehr Bowie
Delica 4 FRN w/Emerson wave
PM2 in digicam
Spyderfly balisong
Harpy SS
Matriarch2 FRN w/Emerson wave
GOD BLESS JOHN NOVESKE R.I.P
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Re: Any new spydies w/ Compression locks?

Post by apollo »

Well there are a few more but not al of them are easy to find.
The Super leaf
Super hawk
Lil temperance leaf
Lil temperance rhino
Centofante vesuvius
Are the older knives i can say right away.
I think there are even more..
When it comes to new knives coming out.
The lil temperance 2 will be one i think. :)
Ray Allen

Post by Ray Allen »

Here is what I believe are some more. I'm sure I've missed some.

PM1
Gunting
Salsa
ATR
Lil' Temperance
Invective

Post by Invective »

apollo wrote:Well there are a few more but not al of them are easy to find.
The Super leaf
Super hawk
Lil temperance leaf
Lil temperance rhino
Centofante vesuvius
Are the older knives i can say right away.
I think there are even more..
When it comes to new knives coming out.
The lil temperance 2 will be one i think. :)
You left out the Szabo and the "S".

There's also this page

http://spydercosource.com/category/lock ... ck/page/2/" target="_blank

which is what I used to find the other models
ArmaliteKnight

Post by ArmaliteKnight »

I REALLY like the superhawk but it's no longer available and for obvious reasons no one wants to sell me one :D

The szabo is one im definitely after
Are PM1's still available?
What's the "S"?

The superleaf is also very nice, is that unavailable like the superhawk?
The "S" looks like a safe queen, not sure I could EDC it as I think I would have to take pocket lint out of it every day...
Spydies I own:
Domino Blue CF
K2 Farid Mehr Bowie
Delica 4 FRN w/Emerson wave
PM2 in digicam
Spyderfly balisong
Harpy SS
Matriarch2 FRN w/Emerson wave
GOD BLESS JOHN NOVESKE R.I.P
Lost

Post by Lost »

I'd love to have a Delica sized Paramilitary 2 or a Delica with a compression lock!! I'd probably buy 3 of each color if this would happen. Just recently got a PM2 and I love the compression lock also, been looking into other knives that use it as well.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'd love to see a lot less liner locks and frame locks - seriously. Quite a few nice knives I just gloss over because they are locked thusly.
- best wishes, Jazz.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

LuxN wrote:I'd love to have a Delica sized Paramilitary 2 or a Delica with a compression lock!! I'd probably buy 3 of each color if this would happen. Just recently got a PM2 and I love the compression lock also, been looking into other knives that use it as well.
Sal did just announce a smaller version of the PM2 so it seems you'll get your wish. I think many share your love of the comp lock, and I certainly prefer it to a liner lock.
Boar-gen

Post by Boar-gen »

I am totally with you there! I almost lost a finger to an Emerson- not that long ago!

My favorite lock is also the Spyderco Compression Lock and I will buy just any knife having this lock!!!

I also go for Spyderco Back Locks- but never again would I buy any liner/frame lock- any brand! I personally think that the tolerances are just too close between a solid lock and a lock which will sooner or later close on your fingers!

Boar-gen
Lost

Post by Lost »

tvenuto wrote:
LuxN wrote:I'd love to have a Delica sized Paramilitary 2 or a Delica with a compression lock!! I'd probably buy 3 of each color if this would happen. Just recently got a PM2 and I love the compression lock also, been looking into other knives that use it as well.
Sal did just announce a smaller version of the PM2 so it seems you'll get your wish. I think many share your love of the comp lock, and I certainly prefer it to a liner lock.
Any timeframe announced when this will be released? Might have found my new favorite EDC if this gets released..
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

ArmaliteKnight wrote:I love my PM2 so much because of its locking system. If I'm not buying compression spyders, I'm buying lockbacks. Had "that one bad experience" with liner locks specifically on my Emerson CQC13 Bowie. Ouch.
So here's a list of compression locks I can think of, please feel free to add to my list as I am fairly ignorant :p

Junior
FYI, Sierra Trading Post has the Junior on closeout pricing. (sorry if this violates deal-spotting rules, I will delete if it is a problem...)

TedP
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

LuxN wrote:Any timeframe announced when this will be released? Might have found my new favorite EDC if this gets released..
We haven't even seen a picture yet, so I would say don't hold your breath. In the past Spyderco hasn't gotten much more specific than the season or quarter, like "spring 2016" or something like that. As such there are no hard "release dates" and often the best indicators are those periodic little bombshells Sal is fond of dropping.

The Amsterdam Meet is fast approaching, and you'll get a sense of how close/far out models are by which are available for pictures. There's a member here who posts as Mr. Blonde who takes some phenomenal pics every year at the Amsterdam Meet. However, there are still some that were pictured last year that aren't yet out: Mike Draper, Firefly, Roc, Introvert, etc. So, stay tuned for the Amsterdam Meet thread towards the beginning of March.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

tvenuto wrote:
My God !!! When and where ?! How did I miss this ?!
FDE

Post by FDE »

From the Casual Bombshell thread; (originally from bladeforums)

Shorter PM2:

"We've got a shorter para 2 in R&D. Being refined now. Heigth, cockpit and thickness are the same, just shorter at both ends."

sal

Also this:

"The idea came from a forumite that had his modified.

Initial reaction in R&D was "why?", but after much thought, (we do that in our R&D mtgs, sometimes it gets hairy), we decided to work up a proto and go from there. Not much chance of squeezing it in in the near future, with current demand and few new pieces already scheduled in (black auto, Shaman) the production schedule. Plus we have a variety of variations of current models in-the-works for exclusives as well as for us."

sal

I too am REALLY hoping for a Delica sized Paramilitary 2 in regard to overall size but more importantly blade stock thickness. It would make for a perfect edc knife!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I hope they will improve blade/handle ratio ! Both PM2 and Delica have this issue.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

elena86 wrote:I hope they will improve blade/handle ratio ! Both PM2 and Delica have this issue.
I do love a good blade:handle ratio, but I definitely require a good handle:hand ratio.
FDE

Post by FDE »

elena86 wrote:I hope they will improve blade/handle ratio ! Both PM2 and Delica have this issue.
I can never wrap my head around why this matters...?
Lost

Post by Lost »

This has me absolutely stoked.. Just told wifey earlier today that I'm gonna have to set aside some cash for when this comes about.. She was SOOO happy to hear about it.. Lol. Definitely looking forward to a smaller PM2 and a newer Delica G10 if it happens. Might have to buy atleast 2 of both.. :)
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

Jazz wrote:I'd love to see a lot less liner locks and frame locks - seriously. Quite a few nice knives I just gloss over because they are locked thusly.
I do the same thing. I find it irritating and disappointing. It's like putting a lawnmower engine in a Lamborghini Diablo. OK, that's a ridiculous analogy, but I'm tired and it's late on Friday.
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
Mallus

Post by Mallus »

I'd like to see more compression locks! Even easier to close than backlocks, and less susceptible to up-and-down blade play, what's not to like? I've never warmed to liner locks, don't see any benefit in them over a compression lock. Framelocks much the same. Haven't used ballbearing locks yet, but just from looking, I wonder how they could be more user friendly. Maybe the dreaded lock pinch? Haven't had any issues with it so far.