Any new spydies w/ Compression locks?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Any new spydies w/ Compression locks?

Post by Evil D »

Am I the only one who sees the irony in that, the Para 2 was the answer to a slightly larger Paramilitary 1, and now there's gonna be a new knife created to make a slightly smaller Para 2...or in other words a revamped Paramilitary 1. It's almost like dividing by zero.
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

Evil D wrote:... It's almost like dividing by zero.
No it's not. Dividing by zero is impossible. A smaller Para 2 can actually be made. However, it is pretty paradoxical as well.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

But the comp lock on the new one will have way better detent. I'm scared of my Para 1's detent. Maybe the reason I don't use my Para 2 is the size - I don't know, plus it pinches me when I open it.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ignaz wrote:
Evil D wrote:... It's almost like dividing by zero.
No it's not. Dividing by zero is impossible. A smaller Para 2 can actually be made. However, it is pretty paradoxical as well.

Once again my sarcasm is wasted lol.
ArmaliteKnight

Post by ArmaliteKnight »

Come on now...Sarcasm is never wasted, like good deeds they rarely go unnoticed :)

I would like to see a compression lock on something very aggressive looking like a Matriarch 2 or Harpy. Something full serrated to that nature.
-AK
Spydies I own:
Domino Blue CF
K2 Farid Mehr Bowie
Delica 4 FRN w/Emerson wave
PM2 in digicam
Spyderfly balisong
Harpy SS
Matriarch2 FRN w/Emerson wave
GOD BLESS JOHN NOVESKE R.I.P
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I'm all in for implementing compression locks on newer models, as well as maybe a few revamps of some classics or older models!

I've got some PM2's, a couple Yojimbo 2's, a Superleaf, and a Salsa! Would love to find a Superhawk as well.

Gotta wonder; has there ever been talk of a Flipper/Compression lock? Imagine how fun and useful a Sage/Domino size folder would be with that lock and a Carson flipper! I know many of these Compression equipped folders already open lightning fast, but why not get some other renditions going out there?
I gotta imagine and dream they have some test blades floating around R&D with something like that! :)
Going back to Caly.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Frankly, I've never warmed to the compression lock. It has always seemed backward to me, requiring too much manipulation to release. It is a very finicky lock to get right, and it is subject to wear/damage in even more locations than a backlock. And yes, I've been pinched opening them a number of times, something that while not life-threatening is somewhat annoying, and I already have enough annoyances in my life.

To those of you who have had liner lock knives fold in use, my condolences, but you would be better off learning to use a knife safely rather than blaming the tool for failing to protect you from your own bad habits. Perhaps I'm getting old, but I've run out of sympathy for self-inflicted injuries sustained through sheer stupidity. Folding knives folding in use fall into that category.

To those of you who whine about blade to handle ratio, I assume you mean but are to lazy to type blade length to handle length ratio. Unless you go to something like the old folding Bowies that were still sheath knives even when folded or the Marbles Safety Folder Bowie, the blade is going to be shorter than the handle. Get over it. Having a handle long enough to get a good grip on with a short blade
is often very useful, even if you don't like how it looks. Are you buying it to look at, or to use? If all you want to do is look at it, you're probably shopping for the wrong brand here.

I apologize to everyone I've just offended. I probably should have just deleted this post rather than submitting it, but I've been seeing more and more things that just drive me crazy here of late, and this thread is filled with them. I probably need to take another vacation from the forums.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

yablanowitz wrote:To those of you who have had liner lock knives fold in use, my condolences, but you would be better off learning to use a knife safely rather than blaming the tool for failing to protect you from your own bad habits. Perhaps I'm getting old, but I've run out of sympathy for self-inflicted injuries sustained through sheer stupidity. Folding knives folding in use fall into that category.

To those of you who whine about blade to handle ratio, I assume you mean but are to lazy to type blade length to handle length ratio. Unless you go to something like the old folding Bowies that were still sheath knives even when folded or the Marbles Safety Folder Bowie, the blade is going to be shorter than the handle. Get over it. Having a handle long enough to get a good grip on with a short blade
is often very useful, even if you don't like how it looks. Are you buying it to look at, or to use? If all you want to do is look at it, you're probably shopping for the wrong brand here.

I apologize to everyone I've just offended. I probably should have just deleted this post rather than submitting it, but I've been seeing more and more things that just drive me crazy here of late, and this thread is filled with them. I probably need to take another vacation from the forums.
Ha yea, I think this one falls in the "walk away for 2 hours and see if it still seems like a good idea then" category. I think it's just plain erroneous to assume that every single person who has had a knife close on them was at fault from stupidity. You do not allow that mechanical failures are possible?

Yes, I do believe that people mean length when talking about blade to handle ratio. You are aware that different designs have different blade to handle ratios, correct? Again, I'm referring to length. For instance, the Southard has a very long blade for it's handle, which some people find to be positive. It's a preference thing, really. Some people value a secure grip even with gloves on, others prefer as much edge as they can get away with in the smallest package possible. I really don't think this has much to do with looks, but even if it did is that wrong?

I'm not offended by any of this, I'm crotchety far beyond my years. However, I don't see how you can be driven crazy by the preferences of others.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

yablanowitz wrote: To those of you who whine about...
Whine?
Might want to go back and reread that before you submitted. ;)
...kidding, take it lightly. :) Just caught my eye when reading.
No offense taken here.
Going back to Caly.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Me thinks someone got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.... :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
ArmaliteKnight

Post by ArmaliteKnight »

"To those of you who have had liner lock knives fold in use, my condolences, but you would be better off learning to use a knife safely rather than blaming the tool for failing to protect you from your own bad habits. Perhaps I'm getting old, but I've run out of sympathy for self-inflicted injuries sustained through sheer stupidity. Folding knives folding in use fall into that category."

I'm sorry, I feel as though you have "shear stupidity" confused with "accident".
Spydies I own:
Domino Blue CF
K2 Farid Mehr Bowie
Delica 4 FRN w/Emerson wave
PM2 in digicam
Spyderfly balisong
Harpy SS
Matriarch2 FRN w/Emerson wave
GOD BLESS JOHN NOVESKE R.I.P
FDE

Post by FDE »

Evil D wrote:Am I the only one who sees the irony in that, the Para 2 was the answer to a slightly larger Paramilitary 1, and now there's gonna be a new knife created to make a slightly smaller Para 2...or in other words a revamped Paramilitary 1. It's almost like dividing by zero.
True but wasn't the Paramilitary 1 made to be a smaller version of the Military? I am Hoping this new knife will have a blade length ranging in the 2.75 - 3" area. Again, referencing the Benchmade Griptillian vs Mini Grip comparison; a seeming small difference of 1/2" on paper is actually quite substantial when felt in hand and in pocket. Mark my words despite all the naysayers on this knife, if it makes it out the gate it will be as hard or worse to find one in stock than the PM2 has been.
I envision this knife to be a crossbreed between a PM2 and a Delica 4.
Delica 4 thickness blade stock with PM2 egos (slimed down) and compression lock. There's nothing like it in the current or past lineup that I'm aware of. Like many others I love the compression lock but there are no smaller folders with practical blade shape for edc IMO that utilize it. The Salsa is the closest they have come to making such a knife but it has two problems; 1) Its blade is very broad and short with no real tip. This shape is great for sliceing but almost worthless for peircing which is frequently needing in my daily life. 2) Although still nicely done the early version of the compression lock on the Salsa is not nearly as refined as the current version used on the PM2.

I realize I got off of a tangent but I leave it as is since this has become a rant thread ^ At least my thoughts are constructive.
Boar-gen

Post by Boar-gen »

yablanowitz wrote:Frankly, I've never warmed to the compression lock. It has always seemed backward to me, requiring too much manipulation to release. It is a very finicky lock to get right, and it is subject to wear/damage in even more locations than a backlock. And yes, I've been pinched opening them a number of times, something that while not life-threatening is somewhat annoying, and I already have enough annoyances in my life.

To those of you who have had liner lock knives fold in use, my condolences, but you would be better off learning to use a knife safely rather than blaming the tool for failing to protect you from your own bad habits. Perhaps I'm getting old, but I've run out of sympathy for self-inflicted injuries sustained through sheer stupidity. Folding knives folding in use fall into that category.
----snip---
Interesting post!

First you prove to us that you do not know how to open a Compression Lock properly without getting pinched! Then you continue to talk about a subject you obviously don't know anything about!

My condolences! It can't be easy to be you! So is this grumpiness temporally or permanent?

Boar-gen
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

What is going on here? I have to agree with yablanowitz. I think his criticism is adequate and no reason to feel offended.

In my opinion the compression lock may be fun to play with(if you are right handed) but it is actually pretty nonessential.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Why don't you people that "know how to open a comp lock with out pinching yourself" show us dumbasses how to. It is a backwardass lock - Yab is right. It has the fact that it's really a good lock while opened going for it. Getting it there and closing it have issues for a few of us and we're entitled to an opinion, so maybe calm down a bit. I usually ignore squabbly posts, but now I'm annoyed - too many instigators on here. How old are we? Do we all think we're right? How about no. That's what civil conversations are about. This is a friendly, calm place to be. Let's please keep it that way. Cool? As for liner locks, I've never had one close on me, but don't feel safe with them at all. I despise them, and think there're way too many new knives with them and frame locks on them, and that's just my opinion. Sorry if I offended anyone. I like peace... that and I just woke up.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Boar-gen

Post by Boar-gen »

Anyone is allowed their own opinion about anything, including compression locks. But when a post starts to assume that everyone that have had a lock failure don't know what they are doing- but instead blaming their tools- then it starts to go to far! I thought this was a nice friendly place, but that post is just too much!

I just tried to show that since yablanowit doesn't know about how to "avoid the pinch", maybe he doesn't know what he is talking about when he accuses us which have experienced lock failure for not knowing how to use a knife!

But Yes, yablanowitz must be right! I must be such a dumbass for having a liner lock mechanically fail on me and therefore I have no idea how to use a knife! I shouldn't even be allowed here! I am out of here!

By the way - To use compression lock without getting pinched:

Simply flip the blade open using your middle finger. To close the blade- push in the lock with the middle finger, while give the blade a push with your Index finger. No more lock pinch and easy usage of the knife! -:)

Boar-gen
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

The compression lock is my personal favourite. Sure I've been pinched every now and then, but it happens once out of every 100 openings. I open mine simply with my thumb as was intended. I don't understand the problem to be honest. anyhow, it's not like there are a million compression locks in the Spyderco line up. Doesn't the current count sit at 3? PM2, Yojimbo 2 and the Szabo? If you like back locks and liner locks you have a million options currently available.

As far as liner locks closing during use, it must happen every now and then. Isn't that why the Gayle Bradley lacks a cut out for the lock, so you don't accidentally release it?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Ignaz wrote:What is going on here? I have to agree with yablanowitz. I think his criticism is adequate and no reason to feel offended.

In my opinion the compression lock may be fun to play with(if you are right handed) but it is actually pretty nonessential.
I think Boar-gen was merely attempting to point out the hypocrisy in Yab's post. Yab appears to be blaming the pinching he experiences in the Comp lock on the design itself, while at the same time declaiming that anyone who has had a liner lock fail is guilty of "shear stupidity."
Jazz wrote:Why don't you people that "know how to open a comp lock with out pinching yourself" show us dumbasses how to. It is a backwardass lock - Yab is right. It has the fact that it's really a good lock while opened going for it. Getting it there and closing it have issues for a few of us and we're entitled to an opinion, so maybe calm down a bit. I usually ignore squabbly posts, but now I'm annoyed - too many instigators on here. How old are we? Do we all think we're right? How about no. That's what civil conversations are about. This is a friendly, calm place to be. Let's please keep it that way. Cool? As for liner locks, I've never had one close on me, but don't feel safe with them at all. I despise them, and think there're way too many new knives with them and frame locks on them, and that's just my opinion. Sorry if I offended anyone. I like peace... that and I just woke up.
See above, and although I think Boar-gen could have been more civil in his reply, I really don't think he was the instigator in this instance. Just like the NFL it's always the guy who threw the return punch that gets the flag. Yab is obviously a long standing member here, with enormous positive contributions in that time, however I think we have to call a spade a spade and not just jump on the newer guy. Boar-gen was not the one who disrupted the friendly calm.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Boar-gen wrote: My condolences! It can't be easy to be you! So is this grumpiness temporally or permanent?

Boar-gen
It's permanent. I came here around 5 years ago. Yab and I exchanged some words over the military. I've since become a convert to the military(I have a few and I carry it most these days). To this day, Yab still won't reply to any post I make referring to or directly asking him a question, here and on the other forum. :D

I still think that joke I made that time is pretty funny. :D
Last edited by chuck_roxas45 on Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd love to see a PM 2 "junior". I think it would be perfect if it came in with a blade just under 3" for restrictive jurisdictions.

I'd also love to see a CBBL folder with a blade just under 3". I can't wait for the CBBL sage. :)

And am I the only one who finds it ironic that ARKnight signs his posts "AK" ?