Your most sentimental Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jackknifeh

Re: Your most sentimental Spyderco?

Post by jackknifeh »

babtron wrote: But what put it over the edge and made it my most sentimental knife, was the sharpening experiences I had with it. Upon learning how to sharpen, this knife was my lab rat. I found some rust spots on the edge and decided to convex the edge. It was my first time trying the technique. I ended up grinding away the patina from the first months of use, but it became the sharpest knife I've ever sharpened--adding to the sentimental value. No longer did I care how the blade looked from the grind marks. The cladding especially adds a different look. For me, it's all about how the knife performs now, not how it looks. It isn't the prettiest knife out there, but holy crap does it perform. Quite frankly, after looking at it more, I think it looks awesome. The character on this thing is awesome, especially starting the patina again.
I love having a knife that at first I don't want to use it for things it was actually designed for because I don't want to get it dirty, scratched or whatever. But after the first scratch or anything that happens to it I quit worrying about getting it dirty and then I can get MUCH more pleasure from the knife. The sharpening thing means a lot too. The Sage4 was a huge favorite of mine mainly because I made so many sets of scales for it. So in addition to it being a great knife I could change scales so they match my socks. :) So I know what you mean about the performance outweighing how a knife looks.

Jack
SpydyLover123

Post by SpydyLover123 »

My most centimental spyderco is my titanium and damascus delica. It is special because i got it on my first trip to SMKW the same weekend i was in Tennessee for my family reunion.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

1. C83 Persian. I EDC this knife since August of 2006. It became a part of me.
2. Memory. my wife's gift for out 30 years anniversary (time is flying).
3. Ti Fluted Native5. The gift from Jack.
4. 2013 Forum Native5. The dream knife, which became true.
All four carried and used (but for some of them I have back-ups :) )
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Seriously I wouldn't even know where to begin :confused: Because I've got 5 Spyders that were all given to me by some great friends from both forums and they will always be untouchable ( no trading, no selling and no loaning out to anyone).

And there are some models I have like my first 2 Dyad models that I wouldn't take $1000 for because of all I've been through with it as an EDC.

Two Spyders that I use all the time are my AUS-8 first generation Catcherman full Spyderedged model>>> I use that knife almost daily sometimes and it's truly been a friend as well as a good tool.
Another Spyder that fits that same category are my pair of Temperance 1 models>> PE & SE. I use both my Temperance 1 models almost daily too. I would never sell, trade or loan those out to anyone either. There are also 3 knives I've gotten from deceased friends of mine and one died recently that I wouldn't trade or sell for anything.

There are just too many of them that I wouldn't let go of to nail it down to just a few.
Fonck

Post by Fonck »

My Delica 4......I can always depend on it! :p
Attachments
Spidey.jpg
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

I can narrow down only as far as my 3 most sentimental Spydercos.

1. Tencious: This is my first Spyder, and it has been with me a while. Through good times and bad, this little knife has gone far beyond the initial cost.

2. Manix 2: The first US Spyderco I purchased. I really dig the Manix, great design Eric!

3. Rubicon: This was an amazing gift from my oldest brother and his wife.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
babtron

Post by babtron »

I'd like to add another one. Probably no. 1 actually. The Delica really set the bar for me.I bought a brown FFG one when I started getting into knives and it made me appreciate Spydercos. It made me a fan and somewhat obsessed with them. Unfortunately, I don't have it anymore. But now, I have a new favorite. I thought Super Blue would win out, and it does for certain models like the Stretch and DF2. But for the Delica, I cannot get over the ZDP-189 version. I love this knife. With the Casey Lynch pocket clip and after convexing the edge, it made this knife one of, if not my favorite.

apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

My most sentimental spyderco would be my c08 ss se Harpy.

It was gifted to me at X-mas by my (At that time) Girlfriend. It still is the most wonderfull gift i ever got in my life.
But when everything came crashing down this knife got a second tale and now i have mixed feelings about it.
On one hand i still love it it can let me think about the good times in my life. On the other i hate it and would send it to ****...
both very strong feelings so this knife must really be my most sentimental one. :D
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Nice thread idea. Good reading.
It's hard beacause there are a few, but probably my large Wegner PE. It was my first. I was looking for a top notch do it all knife that was good in all weather, easy to open, and didn't have studs protruding to get hung up or gunked up, and was good looking. Well, I haven't turned back - now, all I use are Spydercos. I occasionally use the Wegner, but sparingly, because it's a liner lock :mad: and getting close to the other side. I need to take a picture of it.
- best wishes, Jazz.
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

Very cool thread.

Mine is a beat up CE Stretch that my dad used daily. It was in his pocket the day he passed.

I replaced the broken clip, put a nice edge on it and keep it in my box of keepsakes.
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

It's been great to read everyone's responses so far. My most sentimental Spyderco is this Rescue, it was my first Spyderco and it was issued to me in 92ish. I remember thinking what a weird ugly thing this was and then I started using it and wow, what a game changer! I still have it and still enjoy it.

Dan
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

Somewhat ironically, what I think is now my most sentimental Spyderco is one I just gave away. Before giving it to a friend, I had 8 Stretches in various configurations. I am decidedly not a fan of ZDP (no offense intended; I know it's great for certain things), so I initially sold that ZDP Stretch on Amazon. Unfortunately, an unethical idiot bought it, used it for a day or two, then returned it on my dime with a loose and scratched-up pocket clip. It sat unused until I decided to make it shaving sharp and give it to someone who deserved it. The whole ordeal turning into the good feeling of gifting makes it a bit sentimental to me.

The most sentimental one I own now is probably the Manix2 I just put "toxic green" Allen Putnam scales on. That was a hassle. I was considering sharing pics of that one.

I'm not a very sentimental person, so that's the best I can do. :)
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm going to add my "User C-111 Captain" to my Sentimental Spyder List. Because it was a really good pal that steered me onto a used Captain model and I do carry it quite often. Most of my friends I've showed it to find it a very interesting and quite curious knife. A lot of my friends and workmates know that I'm a knife enthusiast and my user CAPTAIN Model gets more conversations going than about any other knife I've got with the possible exception of my user C-46 Lum Tanto which always pumps up a lot of curiosity and envy :rolleyes:

With all I've been through with my 440V, Spyderedged NATIVE it's becoming more than just a user knife to me as well. There aren't too many days I don't have that bruiser on me. But this is a great thread and it's extremely interesting to see what the rest of you find to be sentimental.

I'm really debating in my mind having my user Captain model sent out to one of those knifemakers that will put a serrated edge on a blade for a fee. Because if I have my user CAPTAIN with a serrated edge it will be a permanent keeper.
remnar

Post by remnar »

These Two!

The Blanchard was a gift from my wife before we were married. I wouldn't carry it because I thought that it was too nice and I didn't want to ruin it. She then got me the stainless Pro-Venator which I did carry a lot until I got a Snap-It. The Pro-Venator is now retired, but the Snap-It hangs on my fishing vest. I wish Spyderco would come out with a more refined Snap-It/Remote Release design. :rolleyes:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

remnar wrote:These Two!

The Blanchard was a gift from my wife before we were married. I wouldn't carry it because I thought that it was too nice and I didn't want to ruin it. She then got me the stainless Pro-Venator which I did carry a lot until I got a Snap-It. The Pro-Venator is now retired, but the Snap-It hangs on my fishing vest. I wish Spyderco would come out with a more refined Snap-It/Remote Release design. :rolleyes:
Hey Remnar that's the model they also call the PROGRIP>> because when I owned that model ( actually a couple of them) it even said that on the box. But I have seen it listed as the Provenator as well. I really liked it's little brother called the SPUR.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

My father used an LL Bean gift card knowing that Spyderco is my brand, and gifted me an engraved SS Dragonfly with my initials on it. I carry it deep pocket to church and try to always remember how blessed I have been with a father. One of his hunting buddies to me when I was early 20's, "boy, somebody jumped your dumba$$ to the front of the line when God was handing out daddys".
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

My most treasured Spyderco knives come from 2 of my favorite people on Earth...the esteemed Dr. Hannibal Lecter and his lovely bride.

We met years ago and it was as if we had been friends since birth and we have swapped gear,guns and knives several times. The good Dr. gifted me a Street Beat at our last get together and it has been my constant companion since, a truly fine blade that I love even more due to the sentiment. And his wonderful wife gave up a Spyderco Santoku at a time they were in great demand and could not be found anywhere but she dug into her stash and made sure I was well armed in the kitchen. :cool: :D I feel that I am a master chef every time I wield it. :rolleyes:

Here's to great knives and even greater friends.
northern munkey

Post by northern munkey »

My DP UKPK saber grind BD1, first knife my wife bought for me & my first spydie.......now building my collection. They are way too well designed not to carry.
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

For me its my Para Military, was gifted to me by my family

tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

My Enduras are always getting maudlin and weepy over Hallmark Channel movies. Drives me nuts.

Tod