Schempp Bowie Just dropped!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JudasD

Schempp Bowie Just dropped!

Post by JudasD »

They just got posted on our favorite lolly-pop vendor's site :D
Mine is just ordered!

JD
Surfingringo

Re: Schempp Bowie Just dropped!

Post by Surfingringo »

Man, I wasn't really interested in this one until I saw Michael Janichs review of it at Shot. This looks like a really great design.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Thanks for posting. Got mine ordered!
:bug-red-white
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I'll be curious to see how others like theirs first. I like it a lot, but that top guard has me second guessing it.
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

WireEdge Roger wrote:I'll be curious to see how others like theirs first. I like it a lot, but that top guard has me second guessing it.
I have learned to trust all Schempp designs. :) No matter how they might look in a picture they all seem to be very comfortable once in hand.

JD
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have been looking forward to this one! :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
swigert

Post by swigert »

Gonna have to grab one of these guys, Ive been looking forward to it, I really like how deep it will carry
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

The top guard is not a problem. If you're a saber grip fan, your thumb will rest naturally against it and find it much more comfortable than a jimped blade "hump" like that of an Endura. I'm a fan of the Filipino grip, with the thumb on the blade spine. I find that my thumb easily spans the guard and finds a very happy place on the spine. In fact, the handle design of the Schempp Bowie is one of the most versatile of any folder I've played with in a while. In hammer grip, the dropped handle gives you extreme cutting power--especially with the heel of the edge. In sager grip, the blade instinctively "comes to point" in traditional Bowie knife fighting fashion. Extend the index finger along the blade and brace the handle against the palm and it feels like an Indonesian kris. All the while, its balance has it literally floating in your hand.

The only criticism I expect to hear is that the brass bolsters will show scratches with time. Yes, Captain Obvious, they will. They're brass. When I first started carrying knives--like Gerber Folding Sportsmen and Buck Models 110 and 112--they all had brass bolsters or scales. Tarnish and a few dings and scratches gave them character and distinguished them as actual carry/using knives. That's exactly how I see the Schempp Bowie--an incredibly well designed traditional using knife with lots of character.

Kudos to Ed for another cool design! Ed, you're a genius!!!!!

Stay safe,

Mike
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Thank you for the good info (and your SHOT video). I've been looking forward to getting this one ever since hearing about the concept. As a huge fan of Ed's designs, I'm really eager to try out this somewhat unusual guard.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JudasD wrote:
WireEdge Roger wrote:I'll be curious to see how others like theirs first. I like it a lot, but that top guard has me second guessing it.
I have learned to trust all Schempp designs. :) No matter how they might look in a picture they all seem to be very comfortable once in hand.

JD

I agree JD. The Schempp Rock is incredibly ergonomical. I can certainly imagine his other knives being spot on as well.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Thank you for the info on that, Mike. The top guard had been a concern of mine too. As JD so eloquently said, I too have come to trust in Ed's designs--no matter how odd the shape. :) My Schempp Khukuri is a fine example of this. I will definitely put the Bowie on my short list of "must-haves."
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

My concern about the guard is its effect on my pocket rather than my hand. I can see that corner eating through jeans pretty fast. And since my hands don't agree with Ed's on what is comfortable, I'll have to handle one in person before buying one.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Can I buy a clue or phone a friend? Lolly-pop vendor leaves me with no idea who has this in stock.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Rhymes with Muttlery Pop.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

CS is pre order only now,
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Donut

Post by Donut »

Thank you!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
NeverEnough

Post by NeverEnough »

... great news - been waiting patiently since mr Blonde's pics of amsterdam 2014 . will own this model soon ...
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

If it wasn't a liner lock, I'd buy one and grind the top guard right off.
- best wishes, Jazz.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I just personally am avoiding S30V these days. Would have preferred VG10 or any CPM less chippy steel. Just my opinion. Still might get one
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

KW has them up now at a very impressive price during their sale.