Tenacious durability?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderHS08

Tenacious durability?

Post by spyderHS08 »

What's up spyder friends!

I am just curious as to who here has a tenacious and what you think of it? Recently I have been looking into picking up a black combo edge blade version (yes yes I know I'm one of the few combo edge lovers left :rolleyes: ) . I've recently been into my Emerson's pretty heavily so I wanted to find myself another spyderco with a liner lock as I seem to be on a liner lock spree.....anyway, how does the 8cr13mov hold up (edge retention, chipping, ease of sharpening, corrosion etc) compare to say vg10 or 154cm. I have experience with all other steels but this one. I want to get it with intentions of being a hard use, sharpen and repeat type knife, plan to really put it through the paces. Also, have there been any big issues with blade play or lock rock on these? Sorry for all the questions, I just havent really looked into the knife much before, but Im interested now lol. While I wish the materials were American made and be more like the manix I just really like the way it looks and the fact it is a liner lock. And with the pricing the way it is I figure its time to try one out!

Any comments, thoughts or experiences are appreciated.

Thanks,

Harrison
3rdGenRigger

Re: Tenacious durability?

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Steel wise it's not in the same playing field as VG-10 or 154CM regarding edge retention, but it's quite a bit cheaper so depending on your end use philosophy that's either important or moot. Also, it's easier to sharpen than VG-10 or 154CM so again, depending on your end line usage it's sort of a moot point. My Tenacious is absolutely rock solid and is a great knife...I bought it for a beater knife (And I use it as such), but it surpasses other knives I've seen from other makers in quality and fit and finish and could certainly qualify as above "Beater Knife" status...it's not going to compete on the same level as my Millie or PM2's or Schempp Tuff etc., but at a fraction of the price it has certainly impressed me and earned its place in my stable of 45. I bring it to work to lend to co-workers so I don't have to give them my nicer knives because I don't know what they'll do with them, but it also gets use for some rougher tasks like cutting plastic hose off of metal fittings because it takes less time to bring the edge back to sharp and retention isn't as much of an issue when you only have to cut a few feet worth of plastic hose. Definitely worth trying at the price point its marketed at IMO.

All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

One of the best high quality beater knives you can get. The construction is solid, thick liner lock, very flat grind on the blade. Very easy to sharpen but wont hold an edge as good as vg10 or 154. But you can sharpen it often. I use mine for regular cutting tasks but really have not used them that rough. But I have seen other people give them **** and the Tena still going. Overall the best 8cr13mov knife you can get. Got 3 in different edge configurations all work like a charm, the combo edge was my first one, like combos also.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

This past Spring I replaced the flat roof on my garage with a trussed roof (30x30).. I used my Tenacious in lieu of a utility knife.. Scored aluminum for cutting/bending with the brake, trimming shingles, cutting cardboard/plastic.. Every job that you would have used a utility knife for I used my Tenacious..I did not resharpen till the job was done.. Well when it was all said and done the edge just needed a quick touch-up and back to work.. So Yeah.. It holds its edge fine and is a super knife!!! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
CyberKlown28

Post by CyberKlown28 »

Would love to see an American made Tenacious, my favorite Spyderco design.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I leave mine in a tool cart in my shop as a quick grab beater knife. Has done quite well, even when using to do all the things you shouldn't use a folding knife for like pry on things or lightly hammer on the spine to get bearing races off and other things like that. Never sharpened it. No noticeable play yet.
Also have an old Cold Steel Scimitar that sees the same use and it is blown out at the pivot and wobbles all over. To be fair it has been in the shop for probably 10yrs as a beater knife though.

I really dig those green scales on the Tenacious! Haven't seen those. Mine is just regular black g10.
Going back to Caly.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

The Tenacious is a great value folder! I've owned one for about 6-7 years now, and it has held up surprisingly well for what the knife cost. I'll echo what others have said, and stand by the claim that it is one of the best low cost knives you could buy.

The steel is nothing special, but it is decently corrosion resistant and sharpens easily. Which might be exactly what you want in a knife like this.

I love my Emersons too, but in my experience a Ti liner lock wears much quicker than the stainless steel used in the Tenacious. Lock wear isn't really a concern with this knife. And for what it is worth, Blade HQ did a lock strength video where they tested the locks of a variety of budget priced knives. The Tenacious was the only liner lock (of the ones they tested) that didn't fail. To me that shows how well made the Tenacious is, despite the price tag.
Last edited by Able Dog on Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Ah this place kills my wallet, you guys suck! But at least this time it's less than $50! Lol, Thanks for all the replies...this is exactly what I wanted to hear! Looks like another knife is in the mail :D
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Worst edge retention of any current Spyderco steel. But it still works ok.
BrofessorOak

Post by BrofessorOak »

I've had mine and used it for well over 2 years, abused it once and besides the g10 smootherning and the beaty scars on the coating nothing has changer. Locks up like a vault and the lock has baaaaaaaarely moved. This knife is a steal, for $35 I got a perfect knife. I have a Manix 2 and there's several F&F issues but my Tenacious is perfect.
1x Manix 2 | 3x Endura 4 | 1x Endura 3 | 1x Tenacious that started it all.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

zhyla wrote:Worst edge retention of any current Spyderco steel. But it still works ok.
I believe that the 3CR13Mov used in the Bug, Honeybee, and Grasshopper would be inferior to the 8CR13Mov used in the Tenacious line. Maybe I am wrong?
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

spyderHS08 wrote:I am just curious as to who here has a tenacious and what you think of it?
I'm not a big fan of thumb-cutter locks (i.e. frame locks or liner locks) to begin with, but the Tenacious is particularly bad. The kick (the unsharpened portion of the blade near the pivot) is really small on the Tenacious, and it's way too easy to cut one's finger.

I know, oh how I know, everyone will say "I've closed my Tenacious while drunk and blindfolded and skydiving into a tornado at least 10,714 times, and I've never gotten cut!" But facts are facts; the sharpened portion of the blade can easily say "Hi!" to your finger when closing this knife. Not all frame/liner lock knives have this issue.

Here's cutlerylover cutting himself with a Tenacious. Admittedly, this isn't the best example, as his thumb seems to have moved during closure. But my point is that the Tenacious can easily do the same thing even if your thumb (or other finger, depending on your technique) is where it belongs.

Then there's this. Another reason I prefer backlocks (i.e. better closing bias).

If you gave me a Tenacious, I'd give it to someone else. I recently gave my Tenacious away to someone. I warned him about it and actually felt somewhat bad while giving it away.

You asked.
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

8Cr is lower carbon than 154cm or VG10 (both give/take 1%). It seems to take abuse decently well and restore easily. Edge holding is certainly decent in my use. If I wanted it to hold an edge longer I would take the angle down a bit or buy the serrated model. The latter would prob be one of the best thrasher knives you could buy for the money.

It's a well constructed liner lock. The quirks and perks of the lock are well known. It's somewhat vulnerable (the lock) to tight gripping/twisting motions which in some cases can unlock it. It's less a daily or even urgent use problem than someone who wants to really abuse a knife.

On paper the Tenacious family of knives is EXTREMELY impressive. It's certainly not a Manix2 or Para2 in terms of some of the refinements. What you do get is a very competitive knife for less than half the cost and even a longer cutting edge. No choil = no waste.
BrofessorOak

Post by BrofessorOak »

Oh yeah a Tenacious will cut you if you're not carefull. But my EDC Endura has cut everyone that has handled it unlike my Tenacious(like 50%) Point is my friends can't hadle knives or my Endura is evil.
1x Manix 2 | 3x Endura 4 | 1x Endura 3 | 1x Tenacious that started it all.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Well the all black combo edge version is in the mail from the shoppe! Cheapest I could find it online, very excited about this one. I'll post pics and my thoughts when it arrives.

Thanks all for the input, much appreciated
danospydermano

Post by danospydermano »

I carried the Tenacious plain edge non coated (Blk. G-10) for a long time and only sold it to a friend to get my PM2. I liked it very much and was kind of sad to see it go until my PM2 arrived! The edge held up well under semi-heavy use and my friend says it's still sharp and he uses it at the liquor store where he works. I still get to visit it almost every week when I see my buddy at game night, so it's not forever gone! L :spyder: L
If carrying 2-is-1 and One-is-None...What is Five?
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Not great edge retention but easy to sharpen so great for a beater/utility knife. Nice design/blade shape and yes you do have to be a bit carefull with the linerlock on this one.
But you're probably already using it yourself by now. :D
Sig Savvy

Post by Sig Savvy »

I have the full serrated version. I, too, beat on it but I don't know if it's fair to categorize it as a beater knife. I think it's a real high quality knife in that price range. It was my first Spydie so maybe I'm partial :D

I have cut everything with it and it just keeps looking for more. I'm going to get a plain edge soon and then I think I'll know more about the edge, etc. For the money I don't think you can get a better utility style knife.
endgame

Post by endgame »

I dont see any diff if its made in thaichung or america.most of the top fit and finish knives I own and I own allot are overseas.yes you can beat the crap out of a tenacious and it will keep going easy to sharpen but will rust if not taken care of.best knife for the money
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

endgame wrote:I dont see any diff if its made in thaichung or america.most of the top fit and finish knives I own and I own allot are overseas.yes you can beat the crap out of a tenacious and it will keep going easy to sharpen but will rust if not taken care of.best knife for the money

Unfortunately the Tenacious is not a Taichung produced knife. It is mainland China... honestly not sure where the factory is though, and now I'm wondering myself out of curiosity?
Going back to Caly.