Cannot decide on which Seki-City FRN to EDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
babtron

Cannot decide on which Seki-City FRN to EDC

Post by babtron »

So I've been deciding on what to carry lately. I've been torn between my DF2 in SB, Delica 4 in SB or ZDP-189 and even the Stretch in SB.

As far as ergos go, the Stretch is lovely. It's among the best I've ever felt. I'm a big fan of the blade shape. The thing is, the 3.5" blade is definitely something I normally don't carry, at all. The Delica is right around the max I like to carry, around 3". The DF2 is right at that size I usually like to carry, but I feel I need a little more blade at times. As far as ergos, the Stretch is the best whereas the Delica and DF2 are tied.

So I asked the wife (lol). The Stretch with its ergos, the Delica with its good blade length, albeit a "long" handle or the "tiny" DF2. Here are my (well, the wife's) findings:

Stretch--Huge. Too big. Not considered a pocket knife and you'll definitely scare people.

Delica--Big. She actually thought I was playing a trick on her. She thought this and the Stretch were the same knife lol. It's close to the same length as the Stretch closed, but looks thinner, which is better. But still..."big". It would scare people.

DF2--First word she said was "tiny", which is a good thing. I asked if it could potentially scare people and she said "I think any knife could".

Now you might ask, why the **** would you ask your wife? Well, I don't want to be out with the knife and have to use it and make my wife and/or anyone feel uncomfortable.

The wife's choice is the DF2. I'm leaning towards that choice as well. It has great ergos, good enough blade length, but I feel I'd like a little bigger blade. Maybe it's a placebo effect (the extra blade length not there, causing me to think I need extra).

I am seriously torn. The Stretch is probably out after writing this. I love it. It'd come down to this or the PM2 as that backpacking, hiking or camping blade to compliment my EDC. The Delica is in the mix for sure. My wife thinks it's big, but it's a great size to me. The DF2 is around what I like to carry for an EDC, but I feel I'd like more blade length at times.

So...a happy (and comfortable) wife equals a happy life right?

And just for giggles, I asked my little puppy. He didn't seem to care too much. But he was all over my ZDP-189 D4 over a Mini Grip :)
gbelleh

Re: Cannot decide on which Seki-City FRN to EDC

Post by gbelleh »

Carry the Delica.
:bug-red-white
MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

Both are great choices and I carry both regularly. Having done so, I say Delica all the way. I love the D-Fly, but it's a little on the small side for me.
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Have you considered a slip joint, check out the UK pen knife its a great knife made here In the U.S. like a small stretch with great ergonomics. And the price is right.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

If you need to cut boxes or food, the Stretch is just right.
If you need to cut a loose string or open an envelope, the Dragonfly is just right.

My advice is, carry and enjoy both the Stretch and Dragonfly. Use each according to the task at hand, and don't worry too much about what other people think. :p

When you can carry only one, the Delica is a good compromise.
Last edited by Brock O Lee on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

babtron wrote:So I've been deciding on what to carry lately. I've been torn between my DF2 in SB, Delica 4 in SB or ZDP-189 and even the Stretch in SB.

As far as ergos go, the Stretch is lovely. It's among the best I've ever felt. I'm a big fan of the blade shape. The thing is, the 3.5" blade is definitely something I normally don't carry, at all. The Delica is right around the max I like to carry, around 3". The DF2 is right at that size I usually like to carry, but I feel I need a little more blade at times. As far as ergos, the Stretch is the best whereas the Delica and DF2 are tied.
Sounds like you could consider the companion system. I frequently carry a large and small Spyderco just for the purpose of having a sheeple friendly alternative to the larger and more useful EDC. Then I started pairing a main EDC with a serrated companion when I'm working some of the time for extra versatility. Of the 3 choices you have there...this is what I'd personally do (And the Stretch is also my favourite of the three you mention).

For "Extra Light" EDC (Just to have a knife, fairly sure you won't need it (But you never know) like going out for the night or to a function etc.) I'd probably go with just the Dragonfly.
For "Light" EDC (Not sure if you'll need a knife but not in any formal setting etc.) I'd go with the Delica.
For "Regular/Normal" EDC (At work or day of housework/chores, etc.) I'd go with the Stretch, and pair it with the Dragonfly in my watch pocket for a more sheeple friendly alternative if the need arises.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

3rdGenRigger wrote:" … For "Extra Light" EDC (Just to have a knife, fairly sure you won't need it (But you never know) like going out for the night or to a function etc.) I'd probably go with just the Dragonfly.
For "Light" EDC (Not sure if you'll need a knife but not in any formal setting etc.) I'd go with the Delica.
For "Regular/Normal" EDC (At work or day of housework/chores, etc.) I'd go with the Stretch, and pair it with the Dragonfly in my watch pocket for a more sheeple friendly alternative if the need arises."
^^^ Spot on ^^^
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

The Delica is certainly more than capable. I think it's one of the most well-rounded knives that Spyderco offers, with a blade just big enough to handle most tasks without being too large (and scaring people), all at a fairly affordable price. I carried a SE Delica 3 every day for seven years as my only knife. I can't think of a single situation where my Delica couldn't handle the cutting chores I needed it to do, from breaking down cardboard and cutting pallet strapping to slicing fruit and opening clamshell packaging. Granted, a FFG PE would probably have sliced fruit better, but it still got the job done.

It didn't get replaced in my pocket until I bought a PE Caly 3, then another knife, then another... These days, I don't really ever carry it, not because it's not a fantastic knife, but because I feel that it did tons of hard work and deserves to rest. It still looks fantastic, though the FRN is a bit dinged and worn, but the lockup is solid and I'll bet it could be my only carry another seven years and still have plenty more life left even then. Anyway, I have a ton of other folders now that have a lot of catching up to do to accomplish nearly anywhere as much cutting as that trusty Delica, but it still manages to sneak into my pocket every once in a while.

-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
babtron

Post by babtron »

Thanks for the replies guys. I do have a Manbug in SB that I could use as a companion to the Stretch?

Initially, I thought I'd go with the Delica...but I cannot get enough of my DF2 in SB. The more I use it, the more I love it. I found that naturally holding it, I'd use the choil. For cardboard cutting, I found this wasn't as effective and backing up on the handle and cutting that way helps greatly and proves that I don't necessarily need all that blade length on the Delica. I'm sorry to say that the Delica might the odd man out. The Stretch is hands down, one of the best Spydercos I own. I think I'll use that for home use, food prep and backpacking/camping if need be. Just an awesome, awesome knife.
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

Does it have to be FRN? Considered a Cat?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It does seem as though the majority of forumites carry more than one blade with them. I carry two pocket knives and a SAK everyday.

My advise is to carry a sheeple friendly blade like the dragonfly so you can also EDC the knife of your choice.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I always have my SB manbug, to me its the perfect small companion to what ever larger blade I carry, I also carry my Northwoods Freemont jack just because I like it so much. My main blade which I carry clipped to my RFP varies every few days, I prefer something 3" or greater for this one.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."