Ordered a Native 5 fluted titanium

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
joe58

Re: Ordered a Native 5 fluted titanium

Post by joe58 »

[quote="MadRookie"]It is a beast of a little knife.....especially in S110V & GB regrind.....

Just could not resist....

*****Well, obviously you guys have left me no choice but to get one. The things I do cause of these forums. Lol.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Beautiful knife and beautiful work MR. How much thinner is it after the re-grind?

Jack
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

joe58 wrote:
MadRookie wrote:It is a beast of a little knife.....especially in S110V & GB regrind.....

Just could not resist....

*****Well, obviously you guys have left me no choice but to get one. The things I do cause of these forums. Lol.
I know what you mean. I don't know how many knives I've bought just because of the great reviews and opinions of people who already have a particular knife and have used it.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Guess what? :confused: Yep, the Native came today. :D Sorry about the poor picture (planning and quality). I don't seem to have the energy to create some of the great pictures some of you guys take. But to protect me because of the rule about pics here is my new addition.

Everything about it is just as expected. Perfect. I'm not even going to tell you what is perfect about it. Just think of a feature (blade play for example). If I mentioned that particular feature the comment would be perfect. WAY TO GO GOLDEN, COLORADO, USA, EARTH. :spyder: :D

Now that a pic has been posted I know I have the knife for sure. Not a dream. :) Thanks for all the beautiful pics guys to hold me over.

Jack
Last edited by jackknifeh on Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Very nice!
MadRookie

Post by MadRookie »

Cool - now go give it the "Jack" edge.....

:)
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

MadRookie wrote:Cool - now go give it the "Jack" edge.....

I will but it seems like a shame sometimes to sharpen a knife that is already VERY sharp. It has a good Spyderco edge. The bevels are even. The scratch pattern is like they always are, very coarse. This leads me to believe the edge is very toothy. I also ordered an extra-fine serrated edge sharpener on this order. I opened the big box then opened the knife. I used the knife to cut the plastic packaging on the DMT sharpener and it cut it easily. Cutting that stuff so easily gets the biggest reactions from others because that stuff is pretty tough. I can't remember what it's called. Is it blister pack? Anyway, I'm sure I'll lower the angles and polish the bevels and leave the apex very smooth. I may put a toothier micro bevel on it later. Who knows? Not me, that's for sure. :)

This is the first time I've had S35VN so I'm interested in how it sharpens. Most of the comments I've read is that it is close enough to S30V that any difference is not worth worrying about. If that's true I'll be very happy as I really like S30V.

Jack
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Pictures of the Spyderco Native 5 fluted titanium factory edge.

Factory edge

Edge heel, front

Edge heel, back

Most people probably wouldn't worry about any of this but it bugs me just a little. First of all the bevels I want polished. Then there is the heel of the edge. I don't care for how it was ground leaving about 3/32" before the choil untouched. To get the edge all the way to the choil will take a bit of very accurate work to ensure I don't scratch the blade anywhere I don't want it scratched. I don't mind scratches or scars from use but to accidentally do it while sharpening will PMO. :mad: I may have some needle file work ahead of me. Or maybe I'll use my Dremel. :eek: Just kidding. How many of you cringed? :D I can see myself loosing control of the Dremel and having the accessory spinning all the way down the handle. :eek: :mad: :) My choices are to leave it as is, grind the heel all the way evenly or I could put a sharpening notch there. I don't know when I'll have this finished. Later today or possibly tomorrow. I'm going to go slow at it.
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

Do any of you guys EDC a Ti Native?
If I go for it and am lucky enough to get one, I would want to carry it … so looking for your feedback on this beauty as an EDC …
Thanks.
~ edge
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

Congrats Jack. Really nice knife, and as always, I appreciate your thoughts. Good luck with inaugural sharpening.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I lowered the edge angle a little but not much. I did it free hand so I don't know the angles, starting out or now. I polished the bevels and now the edge is smoother (not toothy). I took the edge to an 8k shapton glass stone. Gonna leave it there. 16k would polish it a bit more but it has an ok polish now. I may pretty it up some more later but it won't cut any better. I think what I'll do is the next thing I use will be the Spyderco UF stone. I don't remember if I ever used it after an 8k. I may have but I don't remember what the results were. I'm curious as to if it will polish the bevels more or scratch them up compared to an 8k shapton. I'm curious because I'm playing with the UF stone on my straight razors. FYI, the UF stone is working very well on my razors. Just another plug for Spyderco's sharpening tools. I'll post pictures of the bevel appearance when using the UF stone after an 8k shapton glass. Keep in mind the results of the UF will be effected by the condition of the bevels before using it. You will get a different result than if I were to use the UF right after say a 500 grit stone. That is unless you want to spend 3 days working with the UF. :)

Back side

Front side

Decent reflection but not mirror

To On edge: I'm going to carry mine. I wouldn't buy a knife I'm not going to carry. I may even use it for some hard use tasks as long as the work isn't dirty work or likely to scratch the knife above and beyond the scratches and scars a beautiful knife should get. Titanium scratches easily. The bolster on my Sage4 got so dinged up I finally stonewashed it. I stonewashed the blade also and it looked pretty good. But the bolster was smooth. The small scratches on my Chaparral 2 aren't as noticeable because of the pattern machined on the handle. I don't know how pocket change and car key scratches will look on this pattern. I will probably carry it clipped which reduces the number of scratches. So I've had the knife on me since about noon and it will be on me for the rest of the week I'm sure and maybe longer. It's a knife I could carry all the time but I have others I like also so they need some of my attention. You know, just like girls. :rolleyes: :) After a while I'll post any thoughts I have. It's very comfortable to hold. I don't feel any spots that I think will be uncomfortable when cutting harder materials. It feels a lot like I remember my Sage's feeling and they are about as comfortable a knife model there is IMO. The Native 5 ti is heavier than I expected. I hadn't really thought about it but when I picked it up it was heavier than expected. That's ok. If I were to choose a heavier feel or a lighter feel to a knife I'd prefer heavier. If I still wore nice clothes I'd rather have a lighter knife but I don't anymore. I wear jeans or shorts. No slacks or dress shirts. I only have one pair of pants and a shirt (dress) that fit. All my other clothes shrunk. :) Don't you hate it when you ask a simple question and get a novel as an answer? YES. I'M GOING TO CARRY MY SPYDERCO NATIVE 5 FLUTED TITANIUM POCKET KNIFE. :)

Jack
MadRookie

Post by MadRookie »

Looking good Jack!

I put a sharpening notch at the heel - works well - check my pics.

I used my Dremel.

On Edge

Post by On Edge »

jackknifeh wrote:" … Don't you hate it when you ask a simple question and get a novel as an answer? YES. I'M GOING TO CARRY MY SPYDERCO NATIVE 5 FLUTED TITANIUM POCKET KNIFE. :) … "

Jack
Thanks, Jack.
Actually, I appreciate every bit of detail you provided … good to know mine are not the only mysteriously shrinking clothes!
I'm no longer in dress clothes every day either, but I am pretty much in khakis during the work week … I have "khaki knives", this would be a jeans / shorts off-work knife.
I think I might start the hunt - but am still deciding … maybe I'll try to snag a G-10 and swap in a 110V blade from one of the LWs when it comes out … or maybe just wait for the LW, take off the clip, and carry it back pocket like I do with my FRN Native now.
I suspect it will come down to what I can find at this point.
Thanks again.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I used the Spyderco UF (306UF) stone this morning. It actually put a prettier finish on the bevels than the 8k left. I don't know if you can see it in my pictures. I don't know much about taking pictures to get them to show exactly what I'm taking a picture of. I don't know much about getting the light just right and things like that.

This is a reflection on the bevel after using the UF stone. It should be noted the previous stones were Shapton glass up to 8k. For any given stone, especially in the higher grits, the edge needs to be prepared well. If the scratch pattern is still coarse any really fine grit stone won't leave the finish it would if the finish were already smoother. Here's the picture.

Now my new knife has a very nice, attractive edge. I think I'll go outside and use it to dig in the dirt. :)

Jack
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

MadRookie wrote:Looking good Jack!

I used my Dremel.

Where are the pics?

Jack
bh49

Post by bh49 »

On Edge wrote:Do any of you guys EDC a Ti Native?
If I go for it and am lucky enough to get one, I would want to carry it … so looking for your feedback on this beauty as an EDC …
Thanks.
~ edge
I carry mine once in a while, mostly on special occasions. I think that tomorrow will be a good day to carry it.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

The light caught the side of the knife and I noticed something new. It looks like there are scallops inside every flute. My question would be are they intentional or the result of the machining process?

It's funny how I didn't notice them at first. :confused: Now that I know about the scallops I see them whenever I look at the knife.
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

bh49 wrote:" … I carry mine once in a while, mostly on special occasions. I think that tomorrow will be a good day to carry it."
Thanks, Roman. I think you may be right … :)
jackknifeh wrote:" … Now that I know about the scallops I see them whenever I look at the knife."
And somehow now I'm craving seafood … :cool:
MadRookie

Post by MadRookie »

jackknifeh wrote:

I used my Dremel.

Where are the pics?

Jack
Jack, in this thread - just go back a page or so....

jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

MadRookie wrote:
jackknifeh wrote:

I used my Dremel.

Where are the pics?

Jack
Jack, in this thread - just go back a page or so....

That does look good. I'm pretty sure I'll do that real soon. I remembered your pictures of the regrind but I didn't notice the sharpening notch at first. I can see where the heel on the edge on my knife is imperfect. It looks better than at first because I was able to get the portion of the edge removed (shown in my first set of pics) so the edge goes all the way to the front of the choil. I put a huge sharpening notch on a knife that was made by a forum member. I post this picture to easily see how I like them, even when they are small. The notch is huge and I wanted it sharp inside. I use it for the few times I need to strip electrical wires, cugt small rope, etc. Works good but like anything you need to get used to using it. For a knife like the Native though I would need a much smaller one but still sharp inside.

To do this I used a Dremel to get the majority of the steel removed. Then I used the DMT aligner blade clamp and serrated sharpeners to sharpen the inside. DMT's setup is great for this. Gets the edge sharp and keeps the bevels accurate.

I like the inside of the notch to be sharp. I get irritated when cutting string and the string gets into a place that won't cut. I don't know what I want to do to this knife. I can leave it alone and have a very tiny spot at the heel that isn't perfect. I can make a round notch like in my picture above or smaller like yours. There's NO WAY I'm going to put a huge notch on the Native. So that leaves a small one like yours using my Dremel or a flat notch that leaves a triangular shape. I'd need to use needle files to do that. I'll give it some thought.

I gave it some thought and I'm going to leave it alone right now. Here is what it looks like right now and it's sharp all the way to the front of the choil. I'm going to see how nice and sharp I can keep the edge without a notch on this knife.

Jack