FFG vs Saber Grind

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jeffmoline

FFG vs Saber Grind

Post by jeffmoline »

I'm sorry if this is a topic that has been beaten like a dead horse. I just picked up a SG Endura 4 VG10. For my purposes (daily driver, cardboard, paper, small rope cutting) will I be fine, or would I have benefited by getting the FFG?

Thank you
glbpro

Re: FFG vs Saber Grind

Post by glbpro »

Hello Jeff, welcome to the forum :)

I started out with Delicas and Enduras in Saber grind and then moved to FFG. However both of them function just fine as EDC blades. My experience is that there is more difference between the Endura Saber and FFG than with the Delicas - with the Endura the difference in the mass of the blade is much more apparent, as is the way the blade handles when opening and closing.

In summary:
The FFG is a bit lighter and slices better.
The Saber is heavier (some people prefer this) and stronger, especially at the tip.

My advice: save up, get an Endura FFG and decide for yourself :)
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

My daughter is a LEO and I gave her a Saber ground Delica for a duty knife.. More meat behind the edge.. She uses it a lot and likes it!! :cool:

So I think all will be good with your choices and uses!!

Welcome!! Super people and lots of great info to be gleaned here!! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
jeffmoline

Post by jeffmoline »

Thanks everyone. While I'm here, do you have any best practices for where to lube the knife?
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

While I understand the practical purposes of the FFG, I prefer the Saber Grind, for the strength and the look. I generally prefer convex grinds over concave grinds on knives, if possible.
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

jeffmoline wrote:Thanks everyone. While I'm here, do you have any best practices for where to lube the knife?
I would suggest not lubing the knife to begin with - there is some lube in the pivot from the factory so unless it feels gritty or sticky leave it alone. With lockbacks too much lube is just as bad as not enough as it attracts dirt which can prevent proper lock up. If you feel it's hard to open, close the knife and place one small drop of lube on the curved section of the tang of the blade where the lockbar rides. That will work its way through the pivot and should be all that's needed.

Bruno
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I have a time sharpening the Sabers on the SM...FFG is much easier
stalag2

Post by stalag2 »

I really dislike the unnecessarily thick flat saber on E4 and D4, such a chore to sharpen for litterally no benefits to my use.
I'm really sad that you cant get a ffg Spyderedge on the E4/D4 i wish the stainless ones were available in ffg too.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I sold my ZDP Delica because it was saber...just way too thick behind the edge for me. I was tempted to take it take it down to a scandi and micro bevel it but never did.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

FFG or hollow for me, never saw the point in a saber grind for my uses.
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

I like em both...sabre for general at work or everyday tasks on my trucks, and ffg for everything else.
Keep in mind, these are uses related to tasks in my day to day life. If I had to choose one, the ffg would go.
araneae

Post by araneae »

FFG are better slicers and all around normal duty knives IMO. If you are hard on your knives SG is more forgiving.
ArmaliteKnight

Post by ArmaliteKnight »

Saber vs FFG vs convex vs hollow vs...
Different tools for different jobs!
Even edges like these that you can only feel or view under a microscope.
Different tools for different jobs!
-AK
Spydies I own:
Domino Blue CF
K2 Farid Mehr Bowie
Delica 4 FRN w/Emerson wave
PM2 in digicam
Spyderfly balisong
Harpy SS
Matriarch2 FRN w/Emerson wave
GOD BLESS JOHN NOVESKE R.I.P
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

This may sound funny but one of the good uses for a saber grind is to let you feel as if you are carrying a "pocket saber sword/sabre".
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Call me weird but for me the sabre grind works great on the Endura, I really like the feel of it, the weight, the stronger blade. Now for slicing cardboard the FFG has a little less friction, but for a workhorse that will have a stronger tip the sabre grind is better. I do have some FFG Enduras the ZDP, SB and a brown FRN. As for the Delica I learned quick that I don't like a sabre grind on that smaller blade, the FFG shines on the Delica I learned that quick, that's the reason I only got 3. One combo that has never seen pocket time maybe once, the SB its excellent and the wave I like that one due to the fast deployment but that's it. For me sharpening comes around the same I do use micro bevels a lot. To summarize this whole thing I do prefer the Endura on SG and the Delica on FFG.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE