Features of a Spyderco knife best for fishing

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jackknifeh

Features of a Spyderco knife best for fishing

Post by jackknifeh »

Gonna start fishing soon. I've have several knives I think would be nice for fishing. I was seriously considering the Dyad sprint I got recently. With a plain and serrated blade I thought it would be as versatile as you can get. The VG-10 should be corrosion resistant enough especially with a bit of Tuf-Glide/cloth. Of course I've been considering a salt.

Suggestions on good knives for a fishing knife are welcome as well as the reasons you would suggest that particular knife. Almost any knife will do of course. The only thing I'll stay away from is non-stainless blades. But I'm thinking what I might benefit more from is a list of features of a fishing knife. You fishermen might know of cutting tasks I'll be running into that I'm not realizing right now. The only knife I remember using when I fished many years ago was any old fillet knife that would fit in the tackle box. Now I'm going to be a bit more selective (whether I need to be or not). I can see needing a long plain edge for cleaning the fish we catch to cook on the fire we build on the bank. Hopefully I can find a knife with a blade long enough to clean the monsters we will be catching. :rolleyes:

I considered using a bobber on the end of a lanyard. :) Wonder how big it needs to be to float a knife??? :)

I'm really leaning toward a salt. No liners and H1 blade steel. If I don't clean it after each trip that knife should stay in good shape more than most. Any knife can be kept in great condition as long as the maintenance is performed. I just don't know if I want to do the maintenance a folding fishing knife would need. OR,,, maybe I should look towards fixed blade knives. I have a kydex neck sheath for my D'fly. A neck sheath would ensure the knife is always right where I need it and not in the bottom of a tackle box. No liners also. I have the VG-10 Dfly2. Maybe I should get the D'fly salt also. I do want to have a larger blade as well. Maybe a fixed blade salt. Got my new (big :)) Spyderco catalog today so I'll be looking through that. There will be my son, grandson and me on most of the trips. Son already has the Pacific salt. Although it may be me and grandson sometimes because son works. :D

Anyway, any help is appreciated, especially the specific cutting needs my new (possibly) Spyderco will be up against.

Jack
PS
I saw in the catalog they have a salt Assist. Is it released yet? A whistle might be nice in case of an emergency to get attention. Or, I could just get a whistle. :)
jackknifeh

Re: Features of a Spyderco knife best for fishing

Post by jackknifeh »

How bout the Enuff salt?

I'm thinking I want a serrated edge with me as well as plain. Of course the Dyad would fill that bill.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Maybe an Enuff serrated and an Endura w/orange FRN.
JD Spydo

Oldies but GOODIES: JD Style

Post by JD Spydo »

OK Jack I can't ignore this one at all. But I have to go back into the Spyderco time tunnel for just a bit. One of my favorite fishing knives that Spyderco ever produced is an old AUS-8 Catcherman model I've had for well over 10 years now. And it's still used a lot and there is not hardly a week that goes by that I don't use that C-17, AUS-8, fully serrated Catcherman. Don't get me wrong because I have a few of the Catcherman model and I love the combo edged Catcherman models too>> I was just using one of my Green USN Sprint, H-1 Catcherman models this evening preparing some mexican food we served here where I work. and when you get that H-1 blade sharp it's not bad at all.

But my old AUS-8, Spyderedged Catcherman is the best of all of Spyderco's fishing knives in my opinion. Why Spyderco deleted the fully serrated Catcherman model and why it didnt take off with fishing and outdoor enthusiasts is just beyond me :confused: It's one of those Spyders like the stainless RESCUE that if you ever tried it and really used it then you would swear by it I can guarantee it.

Jack here is one you've probably never heard of. But over at Bladeforums about 6 months ago I was talking to one of the regulars over that that frequents the Spyderco subforum and he stated on two different occasions that he liked the C-60 Ayoob as his favorite fish fillet knife. I also heard someone here at Spyderville say the same thing about a year ago. If they would make a fixed blade version of that Ayoob model with a blade about one inch longer I bet it woud be a super fillet knife when you think about it. But again I wouldn't be satisfied unless you could also get it in SE :D
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

You cannot go wrong with a yellow SE pacific salt. Good size blade, bright yellow handle, liner less and worry free!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

spyderHS08 wrote:You cannot go wrong with a yellow SE pacific salt. Good size blade, bright yellow handle, liner less and worry free!
When you really get down to the bottom line you really can't go wrong with any blade from the H-1 Salt Series for any type of fishing or marine cutting jobs. And our good Brother "Surfingringo" is spot on with his first hand observations and hands-on usages of those H-1 Salt blade he uses and reports on constantly. There is no better testimony than to go right to a person who is using them in harsh environment for their intended usage.

I sure miss the Caspian Salt out of the H-1 series and I was hoping that the H-1 Catcherman would have caught on a little better and been in the main line up in 3 different edge types.

And for the Brother a few months back who suggested the Ayoob model to be brought back in the H-1 Salt Series>> well he is truly ahead of his time because he isn't the only one I've had tell me that the Ayoob has potential as a fillet knife.

I do know that the H-1 Hawkbills would have limited usage as far as cleaning fish and so forth but just about every other Salt model could be used in fresh or salt water applications. I'm also anxious to find out how this new nitrogen based knife steel that they are using in the TUSK model is going to pan out in marine environments.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Just ordered a yellow salt D'fly 2 SE. Got a pretty good deal also I think for $40, free shipping. So that's got the small, utility knife needs covered. Not sure I'd need anything more than that unless I do plan on cleaning the fish right there. When I was a kid we had a family reunion at a lake. We went fishing and ate the fish there after cooking them on a real camp fire. :) Don't remember much because I was little. Most of the time I remember coming home and cleaning them in the kitchen. But I think it would be nice after fishing to have a nice fish meal. Keep all the mess out of the house. OTOH, we are going to catch so many huge fish we won't be able to eat them all there. We may catch and release also. For one though I'm for only releasing the small ones. I may keep one small bass and have it mounted. Everyone has a big fish on the wall. :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jackknifeh wrote:Just ordered a yellow salt D'fly 2 SE. Got a pretty good deal also I think for $40, free shipping. So that's got the small, utility knife needs covered. Not sure I'd need anything more than that unless I do plan on cleaning the fish right there.
WoW!! I'm tempted to try out one of those H-1 Dragonfly models for that low ball price :eek: And understand that the Dragonfly has never been on my radar screen ever.. But with all the fanfare I'm continuing to hear about the H-1 version I'm getting close to taking the NesTEA plunge :rolleyes:

With the success that many of the small folders are having by going to the H-1 Salt Series I'm wondering why some of the big boys like the C-60 Ayoob, C-54 big Calypso or maybe even the JD Smith couldn't also be given a chance in the Salt Series :confused:

Now I'm wanting to see a Dragonfly hawkbill more than ever :cool: AS well as a C-60 in H-1
KevinOubre

Post by KevinOubre »

I've heard the Southfork is not a bad fishing knife. Surfinggringo would be the best to answer this though since fishing is his job or close to it
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Three sylables, and one word...
Serrata...( of course I would say that...) :)
KevinOubre

Post by KevinOubre »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:Three sylables, and one word...

I may take you up on that this month Stuart, depending on how speedy my tax return gets here. I have been very interested in that cast 440C.
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

Clearly the best choice would be among the H1 knives … that being said, I successfully employed a plain old S30V PM2 as my 'go to' fishing knife, to include rigging, scaling, cleaning, for a couple of years, with nothing but great things to say … the blade profile really worked for me, and the size was perfect … of note - I was sure to wash it in warm soapy water, then rinse with fresh and blow it out and let dry after each trip … she worked like a champ for me.

I would definitely defer to Surfinggringo for the most "informed" reply though …

~ edge
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:Three sylables, and one word...
Isn't that the knife that would scare the fish? Makes a ratcheting sound doesn't it? Then again I may need to start working on my excuses. :) Didn't catch anything today because my Sarrata scared them away. :D Wonder if anyone would buy that one?

Jack
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

As it stands right now I'll use the new D'fly salt and my Dyad. The Dyad hasn't been able to shine as far as how useful it is only because my cutting needs aren't that demanding. But fishing will probably let it show off some. VG-10 is pretty corrosion resistant plus a little tuf-cloth I'll be fine. But if I need to I can take it apart to clean. I've been wanting to do that anyway just to see how easy it is to convert to a lefty friendly knife. I think lefty's considering that knife might want to check with Spyderco for cost of making the conversion if they didn't want to do it themselves. I think a plain edge is far more useful than a serrated edge. But for those who need or just love a serrated edge the Dyad fills the bill. Even if I haven't needed it's versatility I can see it.

Jack
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would consider an Aquasalt for the tackle box and the folder of your choice for carry. Your Dyad and Dragonfly Salt should do well.

A K05 red handled utility might end up in my fishing kit soon.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

KevinOubre wrote:I've heard the Southfork is not a bad fishing knife. Surfinggringo would be the best to answer this though since fishing is his job or close to it
Oh I believe it and I'll tell you why>> because there are more than one mainline Spyder that people have told me on the side that a certain folder or fixed blade surprised them at how good a certain blade was for fishing knife chores. One big example and I've heard it from at least 3 people now is how great the C-60 Ayoob is for not only filleting fish but for cleaning, gutting and even scaling in one instance. I can remember even Doc Snubnose who I havent' heard from in a while who's a long time member of this forum who is also a huge fan of the original full Spyderedged version of the C-60 Ayoob say that it was great for all of his fishing related cutting chores.

That has been some time ago and he also something that really impressed me about some meat slashing test that he did with the SE Ayoob model. My deceased best friend who just died on New Years Day and was quickly becoming a Spyder head because he had about 12 Spyders I had sold him over the past year. He said he went on a fishing trip last fall and the only knife he took with him other than his PE Native was his STREETBEAT>> he told me that he used that Streetbeat model for everything he needed on the fishing trip and he only had to touch it up on his DOUBLESTUFF stone that he got from me a couple of times and the blade stayed super sharp.

No it doesn't surprise me at all how good some of these mainline models that are not intended to be hunting, fishing or outdoor models that still do a great job at it. I've also heard good about the Military model for hunting and fishing both. I'm more than sure the Southfork is a great blade for fishing because it's designer has a reputation for designing and making outdoor type blades. My most wanted fixed blade is the Southfork and I have been hammered with some important bills but I'm extremely close to nailing one down. I want it worse now than any other Spyder>> I know it will go great with my trusty Temperance 1 model>> they will make a dynamic duo :cool:
arty

Post by arty »

I like a fixed blade in the tackle box, but I took a Stretch with me to the surf last summer. The VG10 seems very resistant to corrosion, since the knife did get a soaking in the salt and came out fine.
I like a boning knife pattern for fish.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

arty wrote:I like a fixed blade in the tackle box, but I took a Stretch with me to the surf last summer. The VG10 seems very resistant to corrosion, since the knife did get a soaking in the salt and came out fine.
I like a boning knife pattern for fish.
I'd think the Stretch would be a great knife for filleting fish. I only have the SB model. I think the VG-10 Stretch is discontinued. Or is it the ZDP model? Can't remember.

BTW, HOW IS ZDP-189 REGARDING CORROSION RESISTANCE? I've never had a problem but I've never used a ZDP blade in a wet environment.

Jack
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jackknifeh wrote:
arty wrote:
BTW, HOW IS ZDP-189 REGARDING CORROSION RESISTANCE? I've never had a problem but I've never used a ZDP blade in a wet environment.
Regarding ZDP-189: Jack I can tell you first hand about a very bad experience I had with ZDP-189>> I was cutting up some tomatoes out of my own garden back in 09 and not knowing that ZDP-189 was prone to corrosion and particularly with food acid I was shocked :eek: the next morning to see what looked like termites had been eating on my ZDP-189 blade on my Burgundy Caly Jr>> it was my fault that I definitely forgot to rinse off the blade with fresh water or better yet to give it a thorough cleaning with dawn dishwashing soap.

It was so bad that I sent it back to Spyderco for them to look at. The lady at the time who was working at "The Warranty and Repair" department at Spyderco carefully resharpened the blade for me>> but I did want them to see how prone it was to massive corrosion.

NO!!! NO!! NO! Jack don't use ZDP-189 for outdoor fishing chores :mad: Now don't get me wrong because I do like ZDP-189 in 2 of my EDC blades and I've had and loved my Burgundy Caly Jr I've had since it came out in 2005 but I will never use a ZDP blade in any type of food prep or in any harsh environment :( that's one big reason I love my old AUS-8 full Spyderedged Catcherman so much and GOD knows I've put that knife through simulated **** and back with no corrosion to speak of at all.
I've also had great luck with VG-10, H-1 and ATS-55 using in fishing chores. But forget ZDP-189.
arty

Post by arty »

JD Spyder's post is one reason I went with steel like VG10 for a fishing blade. I also have knives in S35V I would take to the beach. I like to fish in the surf, and want to have a pocket knife available. It is really easy to get yourself totally doused with salt water in this sort of fishing. I am out there wading in the surf, trying to get the line past the breakers. VG10 holds up fine. All it takes is a rinse in fresh water when you get back to where you are staying.
Fresh water fishing might be different, but I would still rely on more corrosion resistant steel, like VG10, S30V, S35V, or 440C for fishing.
There are people who use high carbon steel for fishing. I might try D2, but would rather have VG10 or S35V for a fishing blade. I would avoid traditional carbon steel with low levels of chromium.