More linerless FRN knives please!!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

More linerless FRN knives please!!!!

Post by Evil D »

I'm really loving my linerless lightweight knives lately. I've been carrying a H1/SE Dragonfly as my primary EDC the last few days, and I'm realizing more and more that the whole "hard use knife" thing is so over hyped and blown out of proportion. Aside from the shorter blade, there hasn't been one thing this Dfly can't do for me, including cutting heavy triple wall corrugated.

I think the last few years have really seen a crazy blow up in over built, ridiculously bulky knives that just don't make sense for EDC. While I do love those knives (I also just got myself a ZT 0303 and LOVE it, but for very different reasons) I think if there were more ultra light weight knives like the Manix 2 LW offered in high end steels like S110V, more people would buy and use them and come to the same realization that I have. It wasn't really until the S110V M2 that I came around and saw the light...and I was sucked in by the steel...so I think it's all about that combination...light weight and high performance steel. I don't think you'll get the same results with other "been there done that" steels, regardless of how well the perform.

Sadly, the options are pretty limited. I haven't really combed the catalog, but I believe the only true linerless knives right now besides the Manix 2 are mostly the Salt knives. While I do like H1 for serrations, I would love to see other steels offered in these type of handles. I would REALLY love to see other knives with the CBBL lock (other than the Manix 2) but that's more of a future dream type knife. If I could get something like an Atlantic in S110V (obviously wouldn't be a "Salt"), I'd be all over it.

Another option I'd be more than happy with, is just continue bringing out different steels in the Manix 2 LW handle...I'd be very happy with that.
Blerv

Re: More linerless FRN knives please!!!!

Post by Blerv »

Some of us have been PLEADING for a Jess Horn LW sprint for years now. Thin profile, crazy light weight, splinter-picker tip, non-integrated clip.

Please please please please.... :D
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Sounds good to me. The FRN UKPK is linerless and incredibly lightweight. It would be great to get it with an upgraded steel, maybe a sprint?

Ok, ok. Sorry to bang the UKPK drum again. Carry on.. ;)
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
jul

Post by jul »

I really hope the next generation of Delicas and Enduras will be linerless! :cool:
I dream about linerless Enduras, ffg and ffg+se. :rolleyes: honestly, these would be my grail knives
Skywarp

Post by Skywarp »

Noooooooooo!!!!!!!
Sorry but couldn't agree with you less. I'm starting to love frn but with nested liners a la Delica / Endura. I'd love my Native more if it had more than just a plastic handle.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I never had a problem with liner-less so yes please!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't have a problem with liners per say...but I do think the Manix 2 LW is living proof that the right handle mold and inner webbing can create a handle that is rigid enough that it can live without liners.

OK....so the Manix 2 LW does technically have liners...albeit they're only little "8 shaped" washer type liners that surround the pivot and what would be the stop pin screw....I'm down with that...throw something like that in any of the linerless knives and I don't think there'd be any real gain in weight to make a difference, and the added rigidity at the pivot would be a nice addition with practically no gain in weight or complexity.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Sounds good to me. The FRN UKPK is linerless and incredibly lightweight. It would be great to get it with an upgraded steel, maybe a sprint?

Ok, ok. Sorry to bang the UKPK drum again. Carry on.. ;)
Bang the drum, bro. I can't get mine out of my pocket. I was just thinking the same thing yesterday. :cool:

I personally know that FRN knives without liners are tougher than a mother in law. Love 'em.
- best wishes, Jazz.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Blerv wrote:Some of us have been PLEADING for a Jess Horn LW sprint for years now. Thin profile, crazy light weight, splinter-picker tip, non-integrated clip.

Please please please please.... :D
THIS X 1000. :D
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I'm down, I personally love the way spyderco does FRN with the bi-directional texturing. I have multiple Delicas, a D'allara, an aqua salt and warrior to name a few examples. I really like how the Delica has plans for more sprint steels, I think the "lightweight user platform for different steels" is a great way to go. The M2/Native can definitely be the US version of that, which I support wholeheartedly.

As far as actually having liners or not? I'm ambivalent. I can see how it could be nice to have a lighter delica, but I certainly don't NEED it to be lighter, and don't see much point in a redesign. However, if the spydercrew is considering a new FRN design, I won't be upset if it comes out with minimal liners.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Skywarp wrote:Noooooooooo!!!!!!!
Sorry but couldn't agree with you less. I'm starting to love frn but with nested liners a la Delica / Endura. I'd love my Native more if it had more than just a plastic handle.
I see exactly where you're coming from "Skywarp" but I'll take exception to the FRN Native because I used to not like it for the same reason's you've implied. But when I put my 440V SE Native through a torturous job and didn't even expect it to survive but it did>> And I would have thought that an FRN handled Knife with a liner would have significantly done better but I seriously doubt if one with a Ti or stainless liner would have come through this job any better. And before I experienced that I pretty much thought the same way you are thinking now >> and trust me I know just how good the ones with liners can be too which is why I was very pleasantly surprised.

As a result I not only gained a complete respect for Spyderco FRN handled folders but I also became an even bigger fan of the Spyderedge as a result. Anyone who is deceived into believing that Spyderco's FRN handled knives are not tough enough for extremely rough jobs :cool: Well I can tell you first hand that just isn't the case at all.

And EVIL D?? Why are you so dead set against any FRN folder with a liner :confused: ? Because frankly I'm not getting that one :confused: And why is this new H-1 Dragonfly getting rock star type treatment all of a sudden?? I know you and 2 other guys I talk to really like it>> but frankly I just don't get it >> but I'm all ears :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote: And EVIL D?? Why are you so dead set against any FRN folder with a liner :confused: ? Because frankly I'm not getting that one :confused: And why is this new H-1 Dragonfly getting rock star type treatment all of a sudden?? I know you and 2 other guys I talk to really like it>> but frankly I just don't get it >> but I'm all ears :)

Well bro, it's like this. Linerless means less cost, less weight, and simplicity. That last one I really like. I fully believe in the "less is more" mentality on certain things, and if I don't plan on prying with a knife, then I don't need liners for any other reason than to have a place to tap screws for a clip...and I can live with a wire clip.

The Dfly....here's the thing on that. 1) It's one of the thinnest H1 knives you can get, 2) It has the highest and best transitioning hollow grind of ANY of the H1 knives. Those two attributes add up to a little knife that weighs almost nothing, but I still get all 4 fingers on the grip (well, like 3.75), and it slices better than any of the other H1/SE knives by a pretty large margin. The only H1 knife you can get with a thinner blade (apart from the Catcherman) is a Ladybug, but the Dfly is significantly thinner behind the edge, so the performance is much greater.

Really, unless you need a blade longer than the Dfly, I think it's the best option out there if you want H1 and SE. Also, it only has 1 large and 1 small serration worth of less serrations than the Native...in a much smaller and lighter package. So, if you're going to have a SE companion blade...it's a pretty good option, especially for the person who doesn't want their second knife to be an annoyance.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I could see linerless becoming the norm as 3D printing technology progresses and becoming cheaper and more readily available for lower production costs, yet stronger materials used...

Dumb question here, but are blades interchangeable between and older hollow ground G10 Manix 2 and Manix 2 LW?
Going back to Caly.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpeedHoles wrote:I could see linerless becoming the norm as 3D printing technology progresses and becoming cheaper and more readily available for lower production costs, yet stronger materials used...

Dumb question here, but are blades interchangeable between and older hollow ground G10 Manix 2 and Manix 2 LW?

It's possible, but requires a lot of work.

EDIT

Well, I had a link, but it doesn't work. Madrookie here on the forums swapped one of the S110V blades into a G10 handle and visa versa....if you search for it the thread is around here somewhere.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
JD Spydo wrote: And EVIL D?? Why are you so dead set against any FRN folder with a liner :confused: ? Because frankly I'm not getting that one :confused: And why is this new H-1 Dragonfly getting rock star type treatment all of a sudden?? I know you and 2 other guys I talk to really like it>> but frankly I just don't get it >> but I'm all ears :)

Well bro, it's like this. Linerless means less cost, less weight, and simplicity. That last one I really like. I fully believe in the "less is more" mentality on certain things, and if I don't plan on prying with a knife, then I don't need liners for any other reason than to have a place to tap screws for a clip...and I can live with a wire clip

Really, unless you need a blade longer than the Dfly, I think it's the best option out there if you want H1 and SE. Also, it only has 1 large and 1 small serration worth of less serrations than the Native...in a much smaller and lighter package. So, if you're going to have a SE companion blade...it's a pretty good option, especially for the person who doesn't want their second knife to be an annoyance.
OK some of that makes sense>> but to compare the SE Native against that Dragonfly model :confused: No! I can't go with that one at all. Because to me the Native in SE has proven itself to me personally in so many ways. it's truly a lean pitbull of a cutter compared to the Dragonfly which I rate as being a fox terrier at best ( but a fox terrier with very sharp teeth I might add) :D Hey I'm not at all saying that the Dragonfly isn't a good blade because in upgrade of H-1, SE I know something is right about it to attain the popularity it has gotten recently.

I've used just about every one of the iconic, long term, main line models out there but for some reason I was never drawn to the Dragonfly and GOD knows I've had dozens of offers for trades and so forth. But I'm sure that the H-1, SE facelift has helped it undoubtedly. But the beefy, wide, stout blade of the Native and not to mention the uniform, comfortable grip of the Native handle sure made me a permanent believer in the USA Made, Spyderedged Native.

Albeit I've seen some models get resurrected in the H-1 Salt series that indeed have surprised the **** out of me :eek: Which Is why I want to see more of them in the future>> as far as linerless>> Well I bet a linerless Breeden RESCUE model in H-1 Spyderedge would be a re-born rock star in short order ( the knife should have been Spyderedged from the get-go IMO).

Now with the issue of weight?? that's one that's just not much of a issue for me for most models. In some models I tend to like the bulky, ridgid feel of models like the Captain, C-46 Lum Tanto, The STREETBEAT and not to mention the solid rock-like feel of the Temperance 2 model.

But when you get down to a FRN handle with a liner or without a liner :rolleyes: It really doesn't matter to me a great deal in models the size of the Breeden RESCUE and smaller. But I certainly wouldn't want to see any big models without a liner or some sort of stabilizer>> because with some models it does seem to add a feeling of ridgidity to it.

But who knows EVIL>> you may indeed be starting a trend and as long as these new linerless models are allowed to have a Spyderedge I certainly won't oppose it.
Scroop

Post by Scroop »

YES! I have been on a Delica/Endura gen3 kick lately, the shape of the blades are sooo sexy!
My ultimate would be FRCP, pivot screw, barrel clip, NO Boye dent and FFG in the same shape of the gen3's in NON laminated Super Blue.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Two words to support your thread David...... CALY JR..... that is all.
IMHO, this and the delica 3 were the epitome of all FRN linerless knives (obviously the Salts are great as well)
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I don't care that much liner vs linerless but I really like being able to take a knife apart. I just took an FRN Native thru 10 hours of dust storm this weekend and while I got most of the grit out it may never be the same.
SpeedHoles wrote:I could see linerless becoming the norm as 3D printing technology progresses and becoming cheaper and more readily available for lower production costs, yet stronger materials used...
It will never replace injection molding for things that can be molded. The media overhypes 3D printing at every opportunity.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Would the introduction of linerless knives with FRN handles be considered a major milestone in knife technology, because, it shows that one does not need a metal-liner for the knife to be strong and durable?
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I do not have a problem with linerless FRN, I like all my Salts and Manix LW. But I would also like to see more linerless G10 models, like for instance how the the Dodo and UKPK was constructed.

G10 is plenty strong enough to stand on its own. I understand the problem you have with tapped holes for clip screws etc, so you need small liner sections just for that.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi