I need help picking a large folder.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Geno

I need help picking a large folder.

Post by Geno »

I have bought a couple knives recently and have gotten into collecting and carrying them. So far I have a FFG Endura 4, Matriarch 2, and a Gerber Propel Downrange AO. But none of those knives really are "large" folders. I was thinking about buying a large folding knife and I'm looking for something that is 5+ inches, a tough lock(definitely no liner locks), must be very resistant to getting blade play, and a price of $200 or less.

So far I have found a couple that have matched what I am looking for:
Spyderco Tatanka($195) https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... roduct=901
Cold Steel Recon 1 XL Clip Point($85) http://www.bladeops.com/Cold-Steel-XL-R ... 27txlc.htm
Cold Steel Recon 1 XL Tanto Tip($85) http://www.bladeops.com/Cold-Steel-XL-R ... 27txlt.htm

I am wondering if anybody who has owned any of these 3 knives and can tell me how sturdy they are and more about the quality I am getting for my money. I personally HATE the slightest bit of blade play, and I don't abuse my knives, but if the Cold Steels are going to get any blade play I would have to get the Spyderco instead. I have heard only good about Cold Steel but I would like other peoples insight.

I am open to suggestions if anybody else knows something that matches what I am looking for.
MacLaren

Re: I need help picking a large folder.

Post by MacLaren »

Go the extra $25 and get the K2.
Its not hardly 5"+ , but its a very nice folder for the money imo.
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

^^^ Ditto ^^^

Hands Down :D
Geno

Post by Geno »

I really don't like the K2, it's just my personal preference of lock types and blade shape though, I am not arguing that it isn't a great knife, but just not my style.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I think the Tatanka would be an excellent choice, I got to handle one when at the SFO over thanksgiving and it is impressive, very stout with a massive blade, locked up like a bank vault. I also held the K2 and its nice but the lock was very sticky and was at almost 100%, still up in the air on that one.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Geno

Post by Geno »

I'm pretty sure I am gonna go with the Tatanka, but still I would like to hear from anyone who has owned any of these knives, what I am really trying to find out is how severe blade play they have after some extended use.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

I know its not on your list but the spyderco Tuff is one heck of a knife and a larger folder with a titanium framelock and very thick beefy take anything down in it's path type of blade. And right around $200. Actually there's one for sale on the forums now for $160, I saw it today. I've had mine for a few years and have had zero troubles/play develop with normal use/carry.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Police 3 G10, Ulize and Manix XL are all nice larger folders. I have both the Police 3 (SE) and the Manix XL (S90v) and they are both fantastic knives.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
303_enfield

Post by 303_enfield »

Tatanka for the win! I just ordered mine.

Look here:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... cannot-lie" target="_blank
Always looking for the right one :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:Go the extra $25 and get the K2.
Its not hardly 5"+ , but its a very nice folder for the money imo.
What this Brother just said>> Because the more I look over the K2 it's about to make it's way into my arsenal.. You might also want to consider the Ayoob model.. The Sprint version with the G-10 handle is just so ergonomically perfect that most cutting or skinning jobs are almost effortless.

Also the ULIZE is growing on me as well>> if they had a Spyderedged version of that model I would already own it. Of all the recurves that Spyderco has ever made it and the Spyker are my 2 favorites. Keep us posted as to which one you decide on. But don't overlook the Ayoob model.
v8r

Post by v8r »

Szabo would be another option. Another would be the Tuff. Both are great knives.
Geno

Post by Geno »

I looked at the Szabo but I've never had that locking system and don't know how hard you can abuse one.
v8r

Post by v8r »

Define abuse?
All the comp locks I have had have been very beefy, and the Szabo takes it to another level.
xinam

Post by xinam »

I've been very curious about the Tatanka myself. I'm afraid its a knife I'd have to handle first. My favorite big knife is the police 3 se, which has been discontinued... I would give one a try before they're all gone. 4 3/8" blade with a nice slim big ergonomic handle, this knife gives a perfect balance of reach and fine control. I don't own any cold steel , so I cant help you there. The best I can tell they make a decent knife maybe not the best fit finish or visually appealing designs but its obvious they'll do work. Personally I feel spyderco is in a class above them but thats just my opinion. Good luck, let us know what you pick!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

The manix XL is my favorite design so another vote for that. It fits my hand in every grip like it was built just for me. Obviously I don't carry it the most due to size, but if you're looking for a large blade that's my recommendation, and it's an absolute steal at just over $100.
Geno

Post by Geno »

Now, I don't actually abuse my knives but I mess around with them alot by opening and closing it whileII'm watching tv or something. I'm worried if I choose one of the cold steels that it will get a bit of blade play, I've owned 2 spydercos now and neither of them have any blade play at all, but I've watched some reviews on youtube of the recon 1 series and they all say that there may be a little blade play after you abuse them. I was wondering if anybody had their hands on one of these knives and could tell me about what blade play they have over their opinion of normal use.
BTG

Post by BTG »

image.jpg
Tatanka got my vote, sits on my workbench all day everyday....never been a knife flicker but this one makes want to....very smooth....only had a few weeks so I can't say as to developing play but also have a cold steel voyager xl which is ok, but not nearly as solid feeling, and blade steel is all about the Tatanka there..massive vg10..but still EDC capable.
Geno

Post by Geno »

Yeah I'm almost certainly going with the Tatanka.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Geno wrote:Now, I don't actually abuse my knives but I mess around with them alot by opening and closing it whileII'm watching tv or something. I'm worried if I choose one of the cold steels that it will get a bit of blade play, I've owned 2 spydercos now and neither of them have any blade play at all, but I've watched some reviews on youtube of the recon 1 series and they all say that there may be a little blade play after you abuse them. I was wondering if anybody had their hands on one of these knives and could tell me about what blade play they have over their opinion of normal use.
Cold Steel knives will all develop blade play, and worsen your seasonal allergies and golf score! Well...maybe not...justgetaspyderco.

Also, given that you like playing with your knives then ease of open/close might be more of a factor for you than most. Just a warning that larger blades might not all be as flickable as smaller ones. The XL has been found by some to be a bit stiff, my S90V sprint is pretty tight indeed, but my standard S30V model is smooth as glass. I would have to think that the Tatanka is a two handed closer due to its size, just something to consider.
springnr

Post by springnr »

A fixed blade and a worry stone?