Native5 back-lock question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Native5 back-lock question

Post by elena86 »

It's time for me to purchase a Native5 in CPM-S110V.I need to try the steel and since Manix is too bulky for my taste and my needs I decided to give Native a try.I owned a Native4 many years ago, but I was stupid enough sell it .But....I had some frustrating experiences with my back-locks.All my Caly3.5's had vertical blade play straight from the factory, two of my Delica's developed vertical blade play in time and I never hard use my folders.But interesting enough, all my Caly3's are o.k.Now,I am aware that the so called vertical "blade play" is in fact a constructive issue but nevertheless for me it's annoying to say at least.I hear Eric Glesser praising the new back-lock so my question for those who now a thing or two about it: are the new locks less prone to develop vertical "blade play" ?
kurt6652

Re: Native5 back-lock question

Post by kurt6652 »

I have had 4 native 5's so far and none of them had any vertical play that I couldn't get rid of by adjusting the the lock bar pivot screw. I also have a super blue caly 3.5 with a fair amount of vertical play and coined lock bar face.

I was hesitant to buy another lock back, but I have good luck with the native 5, super blue stretch and chaparral 3. Mid lock is one of my favorite locks that spyderco makes.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Native 5 is pretty beefy for a lock back, it's built like a tank. :D
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I have 3 Native5 in use. One of them, my Forum knife is in use daily. I didn't notice any blade play on any of them. I also had/have in use several more back-locks: Caly3, two of caly3.5, R2, Persians: big and small, Kopa, Native. I hate to say, that I didn't notice any blade on any of these knives. Some of them I used for years. May be I am not very sensitive about this. May be just lucky.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I have never experienced blade play in any of my spyderco backlocks. I don't use them too hard, but do flick them open periodically. Just throwing my data points out there. My backlocks:
-Sprint R nishijin
-Skeletonized R
-Native Forum knife
-Chaparral stealth
-FRN Delica 4 (x2)
-FRN SB Delica 4 sprint
-G10 Delica sprint
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I've got a very very slight amount of vertical play in one of my Delicas, but only when you try for it and push up with your thumb in the Spyderhole. Never noticeable during use. This one has also seen a lot of use and is still currently one of my main go-to EDC's.

No play in any of my other backlocks, including 2 Caly Superblues...
I wouldn't worry about the Native 5 if you're buying a legit one new or with little use.
Going back to Caly.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

No play in my N5 :D