GoldenSpydie's every-other-day collection overview and pictures

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpeedHoles

Re: GoldenSpydie's one-a-day collection overview and pictures

Post by SpeedHoles »

I've never been fortunate enough to handle a C15... but in proportions it appears very similar to the Double Bevel. Do you happen to have one to compare size and feel? Just wondering because I just picked up a Double Bevel and I am really digging it, moreso than expected. Very simple but works great for edc, and folds up into a simple slim, clean package.
I am now seeing this C15 in a fascinating new light after experiencing the DB, and has me curious if I should try to seek one out or not.
Going back to Caly.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Hi SpeedHoles,

I believe that the Double Bevel does indeed share some of the C15s DNA. Same squarish handle, same linerlock, same approximate blade length, etc. I don't own a Double Bevel, although I hope to pick one up at the next seconds sale to complete my collection of Terzuolas. I have held one at the SFO, and it is very nice--it definitely reminds me of the C15.

Next up was this serrated, 440V Military.

I had heard so much praise for this knife from various members (JD...) that I had to have one. Sadly, it disappointed me. The Military is a fine knife, but this version is not my favorite.

Regardless of my ergonomic and asthetic preferences, the Millie does cut well, and I'm happy to have it in the collection.

GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Next I bought this Snap-It EMT.

This is a fairly rare version of the Snap-It with a serrated sheepsfoot blade. Like all Snap-Its, it has a FRN handle with Kraton inlay and a snap-clip for tip down carry from a belt loop or etc.

I believe that I got this one for a pretty good deal ($40 and like new), but I haven't seen many others for sale to compare.

GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Next up is this C27 Jess Horn.

Many collectors probably consider this in the top 5 "grail pieces" (not counting protos). There is plenty of hype about the C27 out there, so all I really need to say is that it is definitely as nice as everyone says. The C27 is truly a superb example from what JD would probably call the "Golden Age of Spyders."

For those that don't know, it has stainless steel bolsters, jigged bone scales, and a trapezoidal opening feature. This is the only "true Spyderco" folder without a round hole. The original patent covered any one-hand-opening method where material was removed from the blade; thus, the trapezoidal dent was covered under the same patent as the round hole.

Not the best picture, since I had to work in direct sunlight:
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

is that a collectors number on the blade? If so, quite unique
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Bradley wrote:is that a collectors number on the blade? If so, quite unique
Not really a collectors number, as the collectors club only goes up to #200. This one is #606. I believe that most of the C27s were numbered--someone correct me if I'm wrong. :)
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Even more so then! :)
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Thanks! Here are a few more pictures--these are much better, since the sky was overcast.

GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Next up, I finally received this Paramilitary 1 from a super slow (and really weird) seller. You'll hear more about him later...:rolleyes:

This PM1 has black G10 scales and a satin blade, with "United States Secret Service" and "0033" engraved on it. I took it to the SFO, and they said that sometimes customers would have the SFO do custom engraving on a batch of knives. That is probably how this one got the U.S. Secret Service emblem. As for the 0033, I don't know if that, too, was a custom engraving, or if it is actually the 33rd PM1 to roll off the production line.

apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Nice para :eek: :)
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Cool! Maybe it was the 33rd in that batch. Not sure how many people are employed in the secret service, but I didn't think it was that many. Certainly not enough to warrant 4 digits, but I could be horribly wrong.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Thanks guys.

At this point, the Manix 2 Cruwear was released. It features a CPM Cruwear blade and diamond-cut gray G10 scales.

I modded mine by grinding down the jimping, adding a swedge, and darkening the blade and clip. It has been put to a lot of hard use, and the Manix 2 Cruwear is easily in my top 3 Spydies. It is just perfection in so many ways.

SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Love it.
Looks like she's getting plenty of attention!

What do you mean by "grinding down the jimping"? You just soften it a bit?

With that swedge, at a glance it almost gives the illusion you dropped the spine like a PM2.

I still want to swap the cbbl button with the clear one on my early 154cm M2. Think the Cruwear would look way cleaner that way.
Going back to Caly.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Thanks SpeedHoles. I ground the jimping flush with the scales so that it doesn't bite your hand as sharply. I agree--the Cruwear Manix should have had the clear CBBL. :)

Next up was my Foundry.

For those that don't know, the C160 Carpenter/Foundry is a bowie-shaped folder produced in Golden, CO. All of the materials used in the Foundry are made by Carpenter Technology; it uses CTS-XHP blade steel and stainless steel scales with the Carpenter logo. The initial run was exclusive for Carpenter employees, but the Foundry has now been released for public sale.

This particular Foundry has a lot of stories associated with it. I bought it from the same guy as the Secret Service PM1. The sale was really weird, and it took ~3 months for the seller to ship it. A while after I got it, I was contacted by Kristi (Tazkristi here on the forum) about the seller. Things got really weird at this point, with various semi-threatening emails from the seller after I forwarded all of his info to Kristi...:eek: :confused:

Anyway, this Foundry later went on a passaround to several of the people here on the forum. Everything ran smootlhly, and the passaround provided great reviews as well as a breath of fresh air after the "interaction" with the seller. The thread from the passaround can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64674" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

What was the guys problem?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Liquid Cobra wrote:What was the guys problem?
I don't know for sure. What I do know is that the guy was local, and Sal has spoken about less-than-honest employees and items that sometimes "walk out the door." I may be jumping to conclusions, but somehow, a person that lives not very far from the SFO ended up selling a like-new knife that cannot be bought by the public...you get the point.

Today we are up to the Knifeworks exclusive Yojimbo 2 in S90V and peel-ply carbon fiber.

I had this Yojimbo 2 on preorder for months, but it was worth it. The Yojimbo 2 is much more than a tactical or sd blade--it excels at cutting as an EDC, and the tip is very handy. It took a few weeks for the detent to break in, but it is "perfect" now. I love the compression lock, the S90V wharncliffe, and the grippy carbon scales.

Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Hi G/S, just wondering about your Foundry, is it identical to the production version or are there some differences?
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

CF yo2 FTW! Been EDCing it for the past few weeks. It went on discount after we got them, but worth every penny regardless. Love that knife.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Johnnie: As far as I can tell, it is identical.
tvenuto: Yeah, it is definitely an awesome knife.

Today we are up to my last C15 Bob Terzuola.

This one is interesting. It has the B.T. emblem inlaid like in the Starmate, pinned handle, C19 (smaller) clip, and a sterile blade. I took it to the seconds sale, and Sal said that there is a possibility it could have been a prototype, but that it is more likely that it was "put together" with parts that were taken by unscrupulous employees. Either way, it is an interesting piece.

GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Next I bought the Bento Box Shop exclusive Domino in smurf blue G10 and CTS-204P.

The Domino is a very refined flipper designed by Eric with a titanium RIL and one G10 scale. This BBS exclusive version (quite controversial, might I add :rolleyes:) uses a blue G10 scale and upgrades the steel from XHP to 204P. The price was pretty high when it was initially released, but I had to have one, and in retrospect, I still feel that it was worth it.

This Domino is my only Spyderco flipper as of present. I modified the blade after breaking a little off of the tip :o, anodized the hardware golden, and anodized the titanium side (not visible in this picture).