GoldenSpydie's every-other-day collection overview and pictures

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GoldenSpydie

Re: GoldenSpydie's one-a-day collection overview and pictures

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Thanks SpeedHoles!

All of these were picked up at the Factory Seconds sale, which happens in November at the SFO. It seems to be biennial, but who knows...there may or may not be one this year. The doors open at ~8 a.m. on Saturday, but people show up to wait in line as much as 24 hours early. You can generally count on knives being a quarter of MSRP, with no warranty and a notch in the spine to designate this.

More info here:

viewtopic.php?t=65906" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by GoldenSpydie on Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

SpeedHoles wrote:Wow, now that's a Spyderscore!! :eek:
How exactly does the SFO work? They have certain announced days where some limited deals will be offered like that, or what?
It is a seconds sale. They do them once a year at most.

Here are our threads from the last one.

viewtopic.php?t=65223" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Thanks SpeedHoles!

All of these were picked up at the Factory Seconds sale, which happens in November at the SFO. It seems to be biennial, but who knows...there may or may not be one this year. The doors open at ~8 a.m. on Saturday, but people show up to wait in line as much as 24 hours early. You can generally count on knives being a quarter of MSRP, with no warranty and a notch in the spine to designate this.

More info here:

Ohhh, ok, I didn't see that the CTS-204P PM2 you posted was a factory second! But still, for $50 that's amazing.
I'd love to make it to one of those sales at some point... but not likely for me.
Going back to Caly.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Today I will show yet another factory second PM2: this time the BBS exclusive in foliage green G10 and ELMAX.

I never could have justified this knife at the BBS price (I hear that ELMAX is not much of an upgrade over S30V), so it was great that I found one at the seconds sale. The edge was screwed up: it was way too big on one side and nearly nonexistent on the other.

I fixed it up with a very sharp, somewhat shiny edge. My sharpening skills are nowhere close to some of you guys, but it cuts well, and the lopsided factory bevel is gone.

GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

We should call this the "whenever I get around to it" thread instead of the "one-a-day" thread. :o

Today I'm featuring my final PM2 factory second: the coveted carbon fiber and S90V variant.

I saw this carbon fiber PM2 from the checkout line. I jumped out of line, tossed a knife out of my basket to make room, and this one was mine. I didn't realize until a little later that it was the original S90V version. I still can't believe that I picked up a cf/S90V PM2 for $80. :D

bearfacedkiller

I think I missed the carbon fiber Para2s due to them floating in a sea of black regular production versions. Nice scores! I should have been more diligent. I still did pretty well. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Next I'll show this Cruwear Military in gray G10.

The Cruwear Military was a sprint run a little while ago. I could have gotten one on the secondary market, but I couldn't justify the high prices for a design that isn't my favorite. The Millie ergos are a little off for me, and the liner lock is not my favorite lock.

With that said, I'm glad that I picked up this second, because I really ended up liking it. I enjoy the lightness, the steel, and the color. The size is too big for legal EDC here in Colorado, but I use it in the woods some and I have carried it quite a bit in Wyoming, as you can probably tell from the scratches. Both of my Cruwear users are scratched up--I guess it is a testament to how much I like this steel.

jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I think I missed the carbon fiber Para2s due to them floating in a sea of black regular production versions. Nice scores! I should have been more diligent. I still did pretty well. :)
Wish I would have known you wanted one. I ditched the one I grabbed out of my basket because I figured I already had a 154CM/S90V laminate version in my basket as well, so no reason to pick up the regular S90V version. Next time I'll be better about sharing. :p
gbelleh wrote:Do you know why that Para 2 is a second? It looks like it has a much better tip grind than mine!
As far as I could tell, the blades were a little warped to one side. Apparently this was an issue, as it seemed like all of the 2nds of this sprint had this issue to a small degree. I think I was the first to discover the batch of 15 or so they were selling (I was in the first group, and the box they were in was still at maximum capacity, so nothing had been removed yet). When looking though them all they all looked a little off to the side. Since they were pretty camouflaged among all the other knives with their black handles, I made sure to point them out to Eli and a couple other guys I met while in line.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
bearfacedkiller

No worries, I got some silly deals and couldn't have spent much more. We were all looking for knives for each other and it was kind of a whirlwind and for most of the day my head was spinning. :D Next sale I am gonna kill it too. There were no losers there. I think I got some crazy deals being 8th in line. It was fun meeting everyone too. :D
-Darby
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

jabba359 wrote:Since they were pretty camouflaged among all the other knives with their black handles, I made sure to point them out to Eli and a couple other guys I met while in line.
Thanks for pointing them out! I couldn't remember who told me about them. Thanks a lot. :)
bearfacedkiller wrote:There were no losers there. It was fun meeting everyone too. :D
That about sums it up--it would be impossible not to have a good time buying cheap Spydies, talking to Sal, and meeting other knife nuts.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Next up are the two Sages I picked up. First is this Sage 3 in blue G10.

The blue Sage 3 is discontinued, and I probably never would have gotten one on the secondary market. As many of you know, I love smurf blue G10, so I'm not as interested in the CF version.

The bolt-action lock basically functions like a metal CBBL. I understand that the inner workings are a little different, but I think that it would be hard for most users to tell the difference between the ball bearing and the metal rod (I think that's what it uses?). The bolt-action lock is a little smaller than the CBBL, and it is has a slightly weaker spring, making it easier to disengage.

Ergos on the Sage 3 are great, as is the wire pocket clip. The only thing I would have upgraded is the steel.

GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

The other Sage that I picked up at the sale was the Sage 4 (midlock) in Arizona Ironwood and titanium bolsters.

I was never interested in this knife until I held it at the seconds sale. The heavy weight and thick handle make for a unique feeling knife that is fun to carry on occasions. The black wire pocket clip, dark colored scales, and gentlemanly appearance make this knife my go-to EDC for semi-formal events.

The bolsters have telltale scratches that show that this Sage is well loved.

(not my best picture)
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Next up is the Manix 2 XL exclusive for Knifeworks in S90V and carbon fiber (yet another factory second).

It is hard to express how "perfect" this knife is for me. The ergos are amazing (broad handle, good jimping), the blade is a great size for outdoor EDC, the blade steel is great, and the CBBL does not disappoint. Additionally, it is very lightweight!

I have used and tested this M2XL a ton. It has excelled at every task that I have tried--including chopping down small trees, batoning kindling, and cutting fiberglass cloth into strips (very abrasive, but the edge held well). I wish that I could find a decently priced one on the secondary market, because I would really like a duplicate.

jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

The XL is another one that made it into my basket at the sale but didn't make it to the checkout line. I wish I would have held onto it, but smaller folders suit my carry preferences better.

Great pictures, by the way. You seem to really have your look dialed in.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Love the S90V XL! The CF really classes it up, and it is very light compared to my standard non-skeletonized version. Unfortunately I got mine retail and I've been a little reticent to beat on it.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Thanks jabba and tvenuto.

Today we have the carbon fiber/S30V UK Penknife.

This UKPK in cf was yet another second that I got at the sale in November. The spring tension is weaker than on the G10 UKPKs, but stronger than on the colored FRN versions. The scales are polished, but the cf seems to have a peelply texture on the inside...? Overall, this is the "gentleman's UKPK."

GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Next up is the orange G10/serrated S30V UK Penknife Rescue.

I was really happy to snag this one at the sale, because it was my first G10 UKPK. I have carried it a bit, and I find that the serrated sheepsfoot blade pattern is quite handy. The slipjoint mechanism is very strong, and with the choil as backup, I have no reason to fear that it could close during use. This is also my only orange G10 Spydie.

Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

You need some more orange knives man! Orange dodo!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I have no orange, except for a B*nchmade. Cutlery Shoppe needs to do more sprints.

I definitely wanna be behind you at the next sale, GS. You really know how to do it! How many more are left from the sale?
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Liquid Cobra: I don't need an orange Dodo...what I do need is for you to give me your XHP PM2! ;)
Payne Train: Thanks--I think it would be hard to do poorly at the sale, unless you just didn't know which knives are desirable.