Do you keep the boxes? Poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you keep the boxes?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 133

swigert

Do you keep the boxes? Poll

Post by swigert »

Hey Guys,

Do you keep your boxes that your Spydies come in?

Why or why not?
swigert

Re: Do you keep the boxes? Poll

Post by swigert »

I keep all mine for reference and storage. I keep all knives in boxes except for the 3-5 I am really enjoying at any given moment.

For example, right now out of the box's are:
Bradley Folder (Casey Lynch Deep Carry Clip)
Slysz Bowie
Manix 2 (Allen Putman Custom Scales)
Lil Lionspy
Para 2 (Casey Lynch Deep Carry Clip and Casey Lynch Custom Scales)
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Yes. The knives are stored in Spyderpacs, and the boxes are piled in a heap under a chair. :o

In my experience, the rare knives lose about $20 to $50 if they are sold without the box and papers.
acer

Post by acer »

Yep, I keep all the boxes, in a bigger plastic box, knives in spyderpacs , Simple. Having fun , right what's the next knife on the agenda, getting that must buy feeling again .
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Absolutely. I love keeping the boxes, as well as paperwork and the baggie it was in.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Absolutely. They're light and almost never needed, so you can box them up and store them very easily. If you want them for any reason at all you've got them. I actually wish I had been even more methodical about storing my boxes: leave a receipt or note in them with date of purchase and price etc. I could actually go back and do this probably since almost all were online purchases, maybe I'll get the wherewithal to do that soon. If you ever need or want to sell, as GS mentioned it's always better to have the box.

Given that all my knives are users I would def buy one without the box, but I keep every box.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I've kept them but I don't really know why, I don't store my knives in them, I don't intend to sell any, I don't need them for anything but there they are stuffed in a bag in the closet...
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

I do now, but only because of the possibility of selling them. As a buyer, I like to get the box I guess because it symbolizes something about condition. Really has nothing to do with knife condition, just seems so. NIB = new in box afterall.
But I never buy a knife thinking I will sell it, so it is only recently I made a conscious effort to keep boxes.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I got boxes of boxes!! Break them flat.. They store easier!! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
PWork

Post by PWork »

Generally no. I have yet to find a box that carries well in my pocket. They might lay around a while, but I'll eventually toss them in the trash.
Paul
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Yes, except for the models I purchased second-hand that came without boxes.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

SpyderNut wrote:Yes, except for the models I purchased second-hand that came without boxes.

Same here.
I do not need them because is also put my knives in my spyderpack but its nice having the boxes around just because they make the knife a little extra original. :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yep. Really regret not keeping the one for my first Spydie.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Absolutely, I sell as many as I keep!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Yes. I recently reorganized my closet, and one whole shelf now is neatly stacked with hundreds of knife boxes. :D
:bug-red-white
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Yep, keep all my boxes in a large Tupperware storage bins and my knives in Spyderpaks, with the exception of the knives in EDC rotation.

Dan
303_enfield

Post by 303_enfield »

No an yes. I have doubles of the users I really like. Once I take them out the box goes away. That being the case. How needs a K05PBK or K04PBK box?
Always looking for the right one :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Yes I keep the boxes> not just Spyderco but other company's knives as well. Because as time goes by they do get high in demand especially for models that become popular and then get rarer as time goes by.

But I also keep just about any Spyderco memorabilia. I've attained quite a collection over the years and I have catalogs going back to 1991. Spyderco is a very interesting company and their evolution has been extremely interesting.

I particularly like Pre-1998 boxes and Spyderco related items. Not to mention the promotional items they have at the Spyderco booth at the shows.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

The market places a value on items being in their boxes so I usually try to keep them. For a knife that I'm going to use and not sell, or at least not sell unless it's in really used condition, I don't think the box really matters.

For items that end up with collector value, sometimes an empty box can have a pretty good value on its own.
timlara

Post by timlara »

Looks like the box hoarders are gonna win by a landslide! :D

I don't have any reasons to add that haven't already been mentioned, but I guess I just keep my boxes for sentimental reasons mostly. I enjoy the little "Edge-U-Cation" papers that come with them and always feel a little bummed when I get a model without one. I carry all my knives, so I can't really ever re-sell them as "new in box", but for the few that I do sell, I think it makes the listing stand out if you do still have the box.