Spyderco Squarehead

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Spyderco Squarehead

Post by Liquid Cobra »

New model shown at Shotshow: the Squarehead

http://youtu.be/4JoIVLNq0Ao" target="_blank
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Liquid Cobra

Re: Spyderco Squarehead

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Darriel Caston design, forgot to mention.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Looks like a locking Dog Tag. I like the looks of it, but I will need to handle one before I buy.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Yes please
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

One of those "need it" knives when I saw Eric Glesser introduce it in "LateBoyScouts" video! I personally love the design of the Dogtags, so i'm very interested in this platform!
-Nick :bug-red
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I was surprised at how similar it was to the Dog Tag. At first sight, I assumed it was a new Panchenko design.
:bug-red-white
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Now that I like....Looks like a nice companion to my vintage Spydercard
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

demoncase wrote:Now that I like....Looks like a nice companion to my vintage Spydercard
Funny you should say that. I had the same thought too.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

I'm really glad I didn't buy a Dogtag. I kind of harbored a hope they'd make a locking knife like it, and they did!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I like that the blade locks, I just wish it was a little longer and a different grind.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

To me it's kind of reminescent of the old model "Spydercard" of the mid 2000s. For some reason I was never really sold on the concept and the Spydercard has AUS-6 blade steel which I never liked at all. But overall I just have a hard time myself with many of those novelty types knives for a lot of different reasons.

One danger that comes immnediately to mind >> well I guess it isn't so much a danger per se as it would be a heartbreaker if you forgot you had it in your wallet or hidden on you and you would have to go to court or to any government office ( like Social Security or a Federal building) or in my case many of the hospitals here in Kansas City MO don't allow any knives or guns>> and they all have metal detectors that would pick it up immediately and the guards would at best probably conficate it from you or in some extreme cases with these Barney Fife "rent a cops" they would conficate it just to steal it from you :mad: .

Even going to an Emergency Room 2 years ago with a severe infection I had in my ankle I forgot to leave my Caly Jr. at home and I had to talk my butt off and beg like a dog for the guard not to dispose of the knife>> he made an exception and kept it for me but told me if I did it again he would not only keep the knife but would have me arrested too :eek: Since 9-11 these government offices and hospitals and various other institutions are guarded like fortresses and they will conficate your knives if you forget you have them on your person.

And those type of knives are easy to forget you have on you :o
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

Pockets wrote:I'm really glad I didn't buy a Dogtag. I kind of harbored a hope they'd make a locking knife like it, and they did!
I like the look of the dog tag better. It isn't like it is a hard use knife where you need a lock but I understand what you mean. If you can have one, why not?
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Love the minimalism approach.
Not sure I'd like to use it quite as much as just simply play with it though.
Going back to Caly.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Anyone happen to have anymore info on this little guy?
Going back to Caly.
spydieh0le

Post by spydieh0le »

Interestingggggg. I like that makers mark too. Another Taiwan model to look forward to.
61 Spydies and Counting.

Official Manix Addict :spyder: :
s110v LW,S110v Franken Manix Green G10 Putnam Scales, DLC HG S30v PE,Cruwear(2x), 80mm Lockback,HG S30v Full SE, Tan M4,Foliage Green CTS-XHP,Burgundy CTS-BD30P Franken Sprint ,Moonglow,XHP LW,Maxamelt LW

Hunting the Elusive s90v CF Manix 2 Sprint Run
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

When I saw this knife, it got me wondering if the Dog Tag could be converted into a locking knife by cutting a square notch into the blade for the spring to fall into when open. Can anyone with better mechanical knowledge tell if that would be feasible?
:bug-red-white
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

gbelleh wrote:I was surprised at how similar it was to the Dog Tag. At first sight, I assumed it was a new Panchenko design.
yup! same here. looks like a locking dogtag like GS said.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Holland

Post by Holland »

gbelleh wrote:When I saw this knife, it got me wondering if the Dog Tag could be converted into a locking knife by cutting a square notch into the blade for the spring to fall into when open. Can anyone with better mechanical knowledge tell if that would be feasible?
the portion of the blade where the lock would touch would be flat instead of sloped, so you would have to modify the blade as well to give the lock any sort of life
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
araneae

Post by araneae »

Hmm, looks like a non-ergonomic, squared edged knife with a single bevel and a thickish spine, I'll take a Manbug.
SpydyLover123

Post by SpydyLover123 »

To convert the dogtag into a locking knife you would half to bend the detent bar out a little as well.