a-SALT-ed with color (rit dye on frn scales - pics!)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Barkdog

a-SALT-ed with color (rit dye on frn scales - pics!)

Post by Barkdog »

New Salt blades + Rit dye = too much fun. Pics are below.

BEFORE THE RIT DYE.

AFTER.

A little background: I introduced my stepson to Spyderco over a year ago, with a Delica. It hasn't left his side... he loves it, and recently expressed interest in a rescue-type blade from some of his outdoor/boating adventures. When I saw some great prices on H-1 / Salt blades over the holiday, the wife approved... and agreed we should buy an Atlantic Salt for him and a Dragonfly Salt for our new daughter-in-law, too. The problem: he's an Oregon (Univ. of Oregon) Duck fan, and she likes the Beavers (Ore. State). That was my excuse to try my hand at a little decoration with Rit Dye. And speaking of excuses: hey, since I was already buying H-1 blades and altering them for my favorite team (the Ducks!), I snagged a Hawkbill Ladybug and Saver Salt for me.

Process used: "Dark Green" and "Tangerine Orange" Rit dye, about 1/2 a packet of each dumped into separate pots of boiling water.

The "Duck-themed" (yellow-green) knives were prepped with a cheap low-heat glue gun, drawing patterns on them with the glue. I let the glue cool for just a few minutes before dunking the whole knife in the dye; left some of the yellow handle stay out of the dye, obviously; and slowly pulled it out, to let the dye set in darker near the end of the knife for a "fade" effect. Total time in the dye was never more than about 2 minutes, for the very darkest part of the handle. Knifes were promptly rinsed with water, and the glue picked off (it wasn't hard) - that's it, easy as pie.

The "Beaver-themed" (orange) knife was simply dunked in, pulling out just a little slowly to make for a slight fade. (Total time around 90 seconds or so.) I plan to add the other Beaver school color (black) on one end of the handle, before I give it to them.

Bonus project: I had a older brown FRN Endura 4, my first Spyderco. I disassembled the knife so I'd only be dunking the scales (I didn't bother with the Salts, I just dipped the whole knife in for those!). After drawing a pattern all over with the glue gun, I dunked the entire scale in the "dark green." I think I'll add some black, too, when I finish the Beaver knife.

Lessons learned: turn the heat off right as you're dunking in, to avoid splashing color up on parts of the knife you don't wish to dye. And a little dye mix/short time in the dye goes a long way. I followed the "you can always make it darker later, go light!" advice and am happy with the result.

Anyway, I'd love to see more pics of your rit-dye projects. This was so much fun that I'm seriously tempted to get that Manix 2 s110v I've been craving, to see if I can put a black spyder-web or similar pattern on that FRCP handle!
fuzzydog

Re: a-SALT-ed with color (rit dye on frn scales - pics!)

Post by fuzzydog »

Nice work....

I have dyed all my Salts orange except my Pac Salt where I went red....Salts are easy for sure.
Drew78

Post by Drew78 »

Does this become permanent or will the rit come wear off? What about water getting on them?

Nice job btw, i like em!
Drew78

Post by Drew78 »

Btw, I'm from Ohio.

My condolences the loss. :D
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Drew78 wrote:Does this become permanent or will the rit come wear off? What about water getting on them?

Nice job btw, i like em!
I died one orange about six months ago. It has sat in the seat well of my kayak most of the time bathing in saltwater. Had a good deal of sun exposure too and the color has held up just fine and shows no fading. I haven't really used the knife that much though so I don't know how it would hold up to normal pocket wear. It's good with salt, sun and water though.
Drew78

Post by Drew78 »

Thanks man! I just have to get a yellow one now. ..
LC Kid

Awesome!

Post by LC Kid »

Hi barkdog!

Such awesome color effects on your Salt blades. :D

Specially like the D'Fly and the LB Hawkbill. :cool:
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Nice work! Looks factory original to me.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The rit will wear with abrasion. I've had my Spyderhawk dyed since i got it. I've only touched it up twice so far but after about 6 months to a year it will wear through in some areas. Also dropping the knife and having it slide can scrape it off. Solvents don't seem to bother it though.
fuzzydog

Post by fuzzydog »

I agree..it is fine with soap and water but will wear off a bit with time.....I may also have some sun fade....still it is easy and lasts pretty darn well.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Those look great Barkdog. I really like the pattern on the Ladybug.
Here's a pic of the only one that I've dyed so far, but I do have a white Kershaw Shuffle that I'm going to make red, white and blue.

Chum

Post by Chum »

Awesome looking... and go Ducks!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey those "tie dyed" Salt models are really kind of cool. I bet a person could make some serious money doing a custom dying on people's knife handles. It kind of takes me back to the WOODSTOCK days>> but spare me the bell bottoms :rolleyes: :D

It's always been interesting to me how certain colors on blade handles seem to divert attention from the fact that it is a knife. I've definitely noticed that colorful handles seem to put people at ease for some strange reason :confused:

Now to me a camoflaged handle for a blade you use for hunting and fishing just makes good sense when you think about it.

I know this is somewhat a different comparison but I always loved those custom Spyders that David Yellowhorse did some time back. But multi-colored H-1 blades I think have more of a purpose other than just looking right>> you could camoflage or even color stuff to match your other equipment or even to match whatever clothing you might be wearing. Also you could do color schemes to match your environment like Polar, Swamp, Confer forests, hardwood forests, or whatever you want to blend it with. Great idea, great thread!!!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

For the fishing enthusiast, how about dying one like your favorite lure. As for camo, it makes it a bit harder if you misplace one in the woods ;)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Barkdog

Post by Barkdog »

Everyone, thanks for all the responses! I love all the ideas... and I especially appreciate the Duck-friendly responses. Drew78: Not speaking to you. ;)

I did one final adjustment using some black Rit dye. I think it helped the 'camo' Endura... I probably could've left the Dragonfly alone, but it is more "OSU Beaver" colored now.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Looks good!
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

They look great and the only thing I have to add is Go Beav's!!!!
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

The result is nice ! I like them !
Not something that we see really often.
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

it is without a doubt very interesting what you can do with FRN handles :cool: Myself I really do like YELLOW FRN handles>> at one time I even made an attempt at starting a yellow handled knife collection until I got Spyder-bit and my priorities changed from vanity to function for the most part.

But I still like stuff that looks good too. One big thing I like about this is that you can really individualize your knife handles by doing this. Now I would be hesitant to do this with G-10 handles>> for one reason I like most G-10 handles just the way they already are.

But this sure gives FRN a better selling point and more marketability>> when something is that versatile that you can do that much with as far as changing what it looks like>> just think of all the custom stuff you could do>> you could do stuff that would make it the same colors as many corporate products are and make many promotional items custom colored.