Incomplete or inconsistent jimping depth?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpeedHoles

Incomplete or inconsistent jimping depth?

Post by SpeedHoles »

Hi,
I've got a Caly 3 Super Blue and just noticed it has one jimp on the spine at the base of the blade next to back lock when opened that isn't finished across the spine. It starts out same depth as rest of jimping but gets shallower as it crosses the spine.
Doesn't bother me a lot since this will be an EDC user (and otherwise I absolutely love this folder!), but just made me wonder if this is a somewhat common occurrence. I have not noticed it on any of my other dozen or so Spydercos.
Another forum member mentioned in another thread that it may be a factory second defect (so I started my own thread as to not hijack the other one) but it doesn't seem to be marked as a factory second like another Kahr arms Delica second I have that is ground above spydie hole on right side...
So now my paranoia kicked in if it might be a knock off blade??? Haven't heard of knockoff Spydercos until I joined here a few days ago.
It came in what looks to be an authentic Spyderco box and wrapped in anti corrosion Japanese kami in a plastic bag.
However, it only says "Japan" on right side of blade, unlike all other Japanese Spydercos I've owned that said "Seki City" also...? Does the Caly 3 not specify Seki City?

Here is a quick photo of the inconsistent jimping:

Any input is much appreciated. Thanks!
Last edited by SpeedHoles on Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Going back to Caly.
GoldenSpydie

Re: Incomplete or inconsistent jimping depth?

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Thanks for posting a picture. That is not a factory second--my bad. At first I thought you might be mistaking the marking notch for seconds as a messed up jimping.

Your notch is definitely not a second notch, as you noted. It doesn't look too bad, and unless it really bothers you, I wouldn't worry about it. As for the "Japan" on the blade, that is perfectly normal as well. The Caly family is produced by Moki, not G. Saki in Seki City. All Moki-made Spyders simply state "Japan."
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Knock-off of what was essentially a Sprint Run is unlikely. More likely just a minor imperfection that slipped past QC. If you consider it a defect, you could send it back to Spyderco for evaluation. Just be sure to include a $5 check for return postage in case they do not consider it to be one.

As for the markings. The Caly 3 is made by Moki, and none of the models made by Moki are marked Seki City.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Thanks for posting a picture. That is not a factory second--my bad. At first I thought you might be mistaking the marking notch for seconds as a messed up jimping.

Your notch is definitely not a second notch, as you noted. It doesn't look too bad, and unless it really bothers you, I wouldn't worry about it. As for the "Japan" on the blade, that is perfectly normal as well. The Caly family is produced by Moki, not G. Saki in Seki City. All Moki-made Spyders simply state "Japan."

Ah ok cool. Again, thanks for the reply.
Yeah, it's not horrible, but just got me wondering...

Well good to learn something new everyday! Was not aware of the different facilities for production within Japan that work with Spyderco (I used to live in Osaka).
What other models are made by Moki?

Now I think I'm feeling better that it is not a replica or knock off.
Going back to Caly.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

The Deacon wrote:Knock-off of what was essentially a Sprint Run is unlikely. More likely just a minor imperfection that slipped past QC. If you consider it a defect, you could send it back to Spyderco for evaluation. Just be sure to include a $5 check for return postage in case they do not consider it to be one.

As for the markings. The Caly 3 is made by Moki, and none of the models made by Moki are marked Seki City.

I gotcha, thanks for the input.
I don't think I will send it in, probably not worth my time nor theirs. I could see a collector having a fit though, but I like how the blade operates and feels. Simply an aesthetic issue. I am going to add some jimping to my factory second Kahr Delica spine, so after doing that for practice I will just lightly touch this jimping with the dremel.
Going back to Caly.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

SpeedHoles wrote:What other models are made by Moki?
A quick search turned up this:
MarcusH wrote:Here's an old thread of mine with the unofficial Moki list.

Folders:

C27 Jess Horn
C34 Jess Horn II, all variants
C38 Jess Horn lightweight, all variants
C42 Howard Viele
C48 Tim Wegner
C49 Tim Wegner jr.
C52 Calypso jr., all variants
C54 Calyso
C56 Tim Zowada
C58 JD Smith
C59 Shabaria
C60 Massad Ayoob
C74 Ocelot
C75 Kiwi midlock, all variants
C83 Ed Schempp Persian, all variants
C92 Kopa, all variants
C97 Howard Viele II
C104 Ed Schempp Kris
C105 Ed Schempp Persian 75mm, all variants
C113 Caly 3, all variants
C125 Ed Schempp Khukuri
C124 Ed Schempp Barong
C144 Caly 3.5, all variants
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

My PPT has inconsistent jimping depth, and that's a Taiwan model, so it definitely happens now and again. The jimping gets shallower as it moves toward the pivot. I've thought of taking a file to it to deepen it but never got around to it.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Yes, that does happen occasionally. I have a few Spydies with slightly messed up jimping just like that. The worst is on my M4 Military.
:bug-red-white