The Roadie, thoughts and pics from the UK...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Uke

Re: The Roadie, thoughts and pics from the UK...

Post by Uke »

Evil D wrote:Great review...

What kind of bike do you ride? :D
A detective in our midst! :D

It took me a minute to work out what you meant! Good try but no cigar...barbell not bike :p
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

Great review! The comparison pics are extremely helpful. I think when the colors come out I'm going to pick up a couple to stash in the car, my work bag, and a couple other places where they might come in handy.

Thanks for taking the time to post those! :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Uke wrote:
Evil D wrote:Great review...

What kind of bike do you ride? :D
A detective in our midst! :D

It took me a minute to work out what you meant! Good try but no cigar...barbell not bike :p

Haha, that was my next guess. The callouses look very similar.
Blade and Flame

Post by Blade and Flame »

Really nice review and photos. You've made me even more interested in the Roadie, it seems like a very useful size.
Uke

Post by Uke »

Donut wrote:...Your pictures make the flat FRN look semi-textured. What would you think about that type of scale material on a Squeak or Pingo?
Sorry mate, I thought I answered your post before...yeah that almost powder-like effect just seems to be the matt finish on the scales, they feel completely smooth to the touch. I'm not sure about it on the Squeak or Pingo as their scales are completely flat whereas the smooth FRN scales of the roadie are rounded, reminding me much more of what I've seen of micarta, say on the Street Beat for example, rounded and smooth albeit much smaller!
timlara

Post by timlara »

Fantastic write-up, thanks! That reminded me of the quality you'd see in a magazine article.

I'm waiting for the red version to hit the streets since I can't really justify getting two Roadies, but the black one sure does look classy....hmmm.
LC Kid

Awesome Review!

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

What a fantastic review! :)

I already have my new Roadie Black FRN, and it is riding in my pocket when my Jester ins't. :cool:

Looking forward the color Roadies: Orange & Green & Blue are must haves! :D
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

That first pic is a shoe in for the calendar contest, great work sir.
Uke

Post by Uke »

LC Kid wrote:...Looking forward the color Roadies: Orange & Green & Blue are must haves! :D
I was just looking at the SHOT Show videos and the coloured Roadies are looking great. There was one that looked really interesting but I couldn't quite tell from the videos if it was Grey or a sort of midnight blue? Does anyone know?

Cheers :) Uke
quickster47

Post by quickster47 »

The five colors listed in the catalog are red, orange, gray, blue, and black.

The Spyderco gray has always had sort of a light blue tint to it according to my aging eyes.

Carl
Gibbs rule #9. Never go anywhere without a knife.
sal

Post by sal »

Very nice review and pics Uke. thanx much.

sal
Uke

Post by Uke »

quickster47 wrote:The five colors listed in the catalog are red, orange, gray, blue, and black.

The Spyderco gray has always had sort of a light blue tint to it according to my aging eyes.

Carl
Ah thanks mate, looks like I'll be picking up a grey one then, it looks a nice shade in the videos :)
sal wrote:Very nice review and pics Uke. thanx much.

sal
Thanks Sal, it's a great little knife. I'd definitely queue up for a large version with the same blade shape and double dent :D
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Yeah this is definitely my next spyderco purchase. Very nice review really puts the size in perspective. Seems like it would also make a nice key chain knife.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Nice review, Uke! I love the side-by-side comparisons.

I've got the Roadie on my workbench to be outfitted with some nice wooden scales. I've been working on it for a couple of months, and I just thought I would post a short update.

1. The Roadie has a screwed pivot but is pinned with 2 steel pins at the rear of the knife. I used a very small end mill to drill out the G-10 and then a set of wire cutters to decapitate and remove the pins.

2. I believe the holes for the pins in the backspring are metric. For better parts availability, I am using 1/8" (0.125') pivot bolts in these holes. I drilled the replacement scales out to 0.125" and counterbored them to accommodate the screw heads. I ended up reaming out the holes in the backspring to 9/64" (0.1406") to provide a little flexibility to adjust the blade action.

3. Despite reaming out the pin holes in the backspring, the stress caused the unlined wooden scales to crack, ruining three almost completed sets of scales. :( So for this latest set, I ended up laminating a very thin 1/32" (0.0312") G-10 liner onto the underside of the wood using West GFlex epoxy. This gives it a bit of visual appeal and provides some added strength to the bare wood.

I'm modding this Roadie for a special colleague of mine - and I want them to look *perfect* ! More to come!

TedP
Uke

Post by Uke »

phillipsted wrote:...I've got the Roadie on my workbench to be outfitted with some nice wooden scales. I've been working on it for a couple of months, and I just thought I would post a short update...
Ah I can't wait to see what you do with this. The G10 liner sounds interesting. I'll look forwards to some photos :)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I was wondering how long it would take before Ted would pimp out a Roadie. :D Glad to hear the project is in the works! I'm eager to hear how it turns out too. If the G-10 liner doesn't work for some reason, I wonder if you could try a thin Titanium liner instead? I have some .040 stock Ti that would probably work great on that. (Adding considerable strength without causing it go be too heavy/bulky).
swigert

Post by swigert »

looking forward to teds mods on this little guy, I carried mine a lot at first but not as much lately...
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

SpyderNut wrote:I was wondering how long it would take before Ted would pimp out a Roadie. :D Glad to hear the project is in the works! I'm eager to hear how it turns out too. If the G-10 liner doesn't work for some reason, I wonder if you could try a thin Titanium liner instead? I have some .040 stock Ti that would probably work great on that. (Adding considerable strength without causing it go be too heavy/bulky).
Oh, wow. I hadn't even thought about a Ti liner. That would make it a little slippy brother to the Bradley Air... Hmmmm. Now you've got my creative juices flowing, Spydernut!

TedP
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Uke, very well written and I love the pics. I also hope that Spyderco decides to make a larger Roadie with say a 3" blade. It's hard to explain but I love Spyderco slip-its even when I am allowed to carry a locking folder. I guess I'm just old school. :)

Thanks for sharing. I have the blue one. :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Let me be the first to say "excellent review" ;)

That definitely just put the Roadie on my radar