Spyderco and Cold Steel "collaboration" of sorts.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wanimator

Spyderco and Cold Steel "collaboration" of sorts.

Post by Wanimator »

I found this interesting, I don't mean to promote Lynn C. Thompson's products over Spyderco's in any capacity. I thought this was worth posting about since they are using Spyderco's design (For the record I prefer Spyderco's Matriarch/Civillian over this).

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/22BTS/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... Edged.aspx

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/22BT/B" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... _Edge.aspx

"BLACK TALON II SERRATED EDGE
Specifications:
Weight: 4.8 oz.
Blade Thickness: 3.5mm
Blade Length: 4"
Handle: 5 1/2" Long G-10
Overall: 9 1/2"
Steel: Carpenter CTS® XHP Alloy
Pocket Clip: Ambidextrous Pocket / Belt Clip
Our original "Black Talon" was a revolutionary knife in many ways. Handmade and limited edition, it featuring a modified curved talon blade* made from Japanese San Mai steel, a sleek titanium frame with G10 scales and - for its time - a very strong locking mechanism.
Our fans have been clamoring for us to bring back this classic and iconic blade, and now we are proud to announce a newly re-designed knife that we have christened the Black Talon II!
A design collaboration between Cold Steel President Lynn C Thompson and custom knife-maker Andrew Demko, the Black Talon II is a modern masterpiece!
It's sinuously curved, needle sharp blade still features the distinctive down-swept point and pronounced belly of the original, but with all new high end American XHP super-steel and a re-designed tip for additional strength and durability.
The textured premium USA G10 scales offer maximum retention and grip even in cold or wet conditions while still being kind on your clothing when drawn from the pocket.
The contrast between the deep black of the scales and the exquisite rich satin polished blade further emphasize the flair and style of this good-looking and elegant folder.
Featuring our high performance Tri-Ad locking mechanism for added safety and strength, this thin, lightweight and eye-catching knife is sure to be the talking point of anyone's collection!
*used with kind permission by Spyderco"
Last edited by Wanimator on Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stuart Ackerman

Re: Spyderco and Cold Steel collaboration of sorts.

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

The Matriarch is discon, so this looks like a homage?
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

Spyderco/Cold Steel collaboration......I don't even know where to start.......uhhhhhhh no?
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I don't like that knife at all, but kudos to Cold Steel for asking Spyderco's permission to use the design. :)
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:The Matriarch is discon, so this looks like a homage?
It's kinda inbetween the civilian in Matriarch to me.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Using a silhouette with "kind permission" isn't really a collaboration. It looks otherwise designed by CS and built by CS (or one of their vendors).

Glad the two companies could come to professional agreement rather the typical, "I'm gonna do this and you can sue me if you have the guts and the money", approach.

Also, only the Lil Matriarch was discontinued (a great knife btw). The Matriarch 2, Matriarch 2 Wave, and Civilian are still in force.
rycen

Post by rycen »

Kinda old news.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Oops, sorry, I am glad that the Matriach is still around...
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

That's actually pretty cool that they sought permission and Spyderco granted it. I like Spyderco's design better, tbh, but I agree with Blerv, seeing the respect from both companies is a welcome sight.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Shiny footprints Mode: That's certainly an interesting homage to the original. ;0
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

rycen wrote:Kinda old news.
How is this old news? The second version was just announced today. There was an original Talon, but it was in my opinion, a much different design.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Wanimator wrote:
How is this old news? The second version was just announced today. There was an original Talon, but it was in my opinion, a much different design.
Blerv wrote:Using a silhouette with "kind permission" isn't really a collaboration. It looks otherwise designed by CS and built by CS (or one of their vendors).

Glad the two companies could come to professional agreement rather the typical, "I'm gonna do this and you can sue me if you have the guts and the money", approach.

Also, only the Lil Matriarch was discontinued (a great knife btw). The Matriarch 2, Matriarch 2 Wave, and Civilian are still in force.
My mistake. I'm sorry. And interesting input, thank you.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Permission or not, I don't think you can be "revolutionary" with a blade shape that you used with kind permission that someone else already produced ;)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Evil D wrote:Permission or not, I don't think you can be "revolutionary" with a blade shape that you used with kind permission that someone else already produced ;)
Agreed. ;)

Also, most of my little snippit was just opinion. I don't know the extent of the collaborative process with the CS knife. Based on the lack of hole and general dimensions it seems very much their IP with enough style borrowed (in "kind permission") mainly to require a disclaimer to avoid a storm on Bladeforums.

If Spyderco is cool with it I hope they sell plenty. I won't buy one personally but that's just one opinion based on aesthetics. I'm sure it's a very stout knife.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Wow...if this is truly legit & mutually consented upon by both parties--- :)

A testament to how "doing the right thing" can become infectious ( in a good way ) and be paid forward... :spyder:

I think it takes a lot of character to "collaborate" at any level with your business competitor... :)

Hats off to Sal & Mr. Thompson and everyone else responsible! :)

Can you imagine a Spyderco with a Triad lock? May be the closest thing to a fixed blade in a pocket folder! :D
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

paladin wrote:Can you imagine a Spyderco with a Triad lock? May be the closest thing to a fixed blade in a pocket folder! :D
Nope, that lock is heavy, slow, clumsy. I'll take a Spyderco mid-lock any day.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
rycen

Post by rycen »

Wanimator wrote:
I was more referring to the title and the reverse S shaped blade.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

rycen wrote:
Wanimator wrote:
I was more referring to the title and the reverse S shaped blade.
Ah, okay.

I would love to hear (see technically), Mr. Sal Glesser's input on this. I do know that Mr. Glesser and Lynn are friends.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

kennethsime wrote:
paladin wrote:Can you imagine a Spyderco with a Triad lock? May be the closest thing to a fixed blade in a pocket folder! :D
Nope, that lock is heavy, slow, clumsy. I'll take a Spyderco mid-lock any day.
how exactly is a one hand operated version of a back lock slow and clumsy? I for one am interested in seeing how this interpretation of the triad lock works.
adancingmonkey

Re: Spyderco and Cold Steel "collaboration" of sorts.

Post by adancingmonkey »

As per their description, I would not wish to be caught in the eye with one of those.
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.